File host questions

Fission Mailed

Modder
Nov 27, 2017
file host rule said:
requirements for an approved host are:
  • Full (or near full) speed downloads for free users
What's the site/staff's definition of "near full" speed? I've never had Anonfile go over 400KB/s which puts it closer to 56K dial-up than my full speed of about 25MB/s. Doesn't matter if my VPN is on or off, it's them limiting it to under 400KB/s. Pretty much only Mega/Google/Nopy and now Upload Heaven get "near full" speed; most max at under 8MB/s which is still fast enough to not complain about. I do understand at popular times with popular files things tend to go slower, but Anonfile doesn't care... It's just simply slow A.F. :ROFLMAO:

The other question I have is....who's the knucklehead renaming the Mega files? About 70% of the time I setup a download of a game and my download manager gets the game twice because the Mega file has a different name than every other host. I don't lack for HD space nor do I have download limits so it's not costing me money....just why is it happening in the first place? :unsure:
Example:
knuckleheaded uploaders.JPG
In this instance the Mega link has an apostrophe that the other files don't have making the manager think it's a different file and downloading the game twice :(

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
As opposed to capped download speed from hosts such as k2s (50kbps for free users).

dutchpete

Jun 11, 2017
I hope this is the right thread but I have a problem with Nopy.to.
The site isn`t loading, just a revolving circle on screen, when you want to download.
Any advice?

User #1751331

Oct 30, 2019
I get why sites cap download speeds to try and encourage people to pay for full speed access.
But I also find it funny. Here is why. Servers are limited in the number of connections they have that is the number of ports they can have connections on. 65,536 however some ports are already in used and designated for other purposes. So the numbers a bit less. Also the more connections the more over head that the system has to deal with so the number usually isn't near that high. There are number of other settings that come into effect when it comes to file downloads. Which is why at the end of the day companies run redundant servers with load balancing and so on.

Anyway buy limiting the person to something like 50kilobits they are effectively making sure one of those connections is used up for an extended period of time. Also while that person is connected it cost them the same power usage as the person connected doing the max speed download.

A smarter company would run a program and find the sweet spot in speed to get them off faster and reduce costs and still encourage them to opt for the higher speed download.

That said there are people you will never convince to pay for faster speed. Most of them are the 9.4 million as of 2016 that still used dial up connections. Yep you read that right dial up. Some of them you can't blame. You can blame the small telco in the area that refuses to get with the times or has really no choice because they don't have enough customers to justify buying any of the equipment needed. Because of the way telco laws are another company can't come in and take over.