Fellow Daz RTX 2080 users. "Does this sound right?"

WillTylor

Creating "A Family Venture"
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
I've been rendering for some time with my fairly new RTX 2080, and assuming it was all good. When I render the pop-up window comes up and says it is a GPU render, and I have the latest NVidia Studio Driver. I took a look at my task manager today and this is what it says.
  • Dedicated GPU Memory 3.7 / 8 GB * (3.8 / 24 GPU memory)
  • Memory 17.1 / 31.9 GB (committed)
  • CPU (around) 22% 4.41 GHZ
Does this sound right? Shouldn't the render be utilizing the GPU more? Should it be using that much Memory and CPU?
I would ask on the Daz forums, but I always get much better advice and faster responses here in the F95zone.

FroKe88

May 15, 2017
You are only watching your GPU memory, all other readings are CPU readings.
Memory is dependent on the complexity of the scene and doesn't have much in common with the utilization in general.

I would use something like nvidia-smi to check the workload.
€: Navigate to "Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI" or similar and run "nvidia-smi.exe" through console.
Maybe write a "watch"-macro for windows to get updated information.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillTylor

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Taskmanager isn't the best tool for that, but if you want to use it:
1583765171783.png
personally I use GPU-Z to look at GPU usage while rendering.

WillTylor

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Thanks recreation and FroKe88! I couldn't find the nvidia-smi, so I'm going to try the GPU-Z on my next render. I'll post the results here.

WillTylor

Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Thanks for the advice, with the GPU-Z it shows that me GPU load is 96-98% So it looks like it's rendering correctly. I also found out my CPU is running hotter than recommended. Now I've got to do something about that.:cautious:

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
GPU memory will also have background programs running in it too anything with hardware acceleration like web browsers, windows themes and a lot of other programs