3.80 star(s) 66 Votes

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
Do you think Scam Citizen will be finished and release before or after fallen doll ? It's seem like it's a close match
Wild Life is also a strong contender in that "race", it is going toe to toe with FD. I wonder which will reach the finishing line first.

Reactions: Kyoka

T3stireribas

May 2, 2023
I have a little question, if you have access to closed beta, but you stop paying the Patreon, will you lose the access to the beta?

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
Wild Life is also a strong contender in that "race", it is going toe to toe with FD. I wonder which will reach the finishing line first.
I think the difference there is that WL devs might have succumbed to scope creep a little, OK maybe more than a little, but they are undoubtedly developing a game and you can see significant progress being made incrementally as you'd expect from a small team working on a large project. The changes in scope also seem to be relatively well controlled, documented (at least based on their public posts) and planned so it might be unfair to call it scope creep over scope change.

Meanwhile FD's development is... sheer fucking chaos. Calling it scope creep doesn't even seem sufficient when they've repeatedly changed the entire direction of the project or randomly abandoned features (sometimes post-implementation). They also had long periods with zero, or near-zero, progress being made and from the original features users were expecting the only changes we've seen in years are a handful of models and animations being added.

I still probably won't buy WL until later in the projects life cycle but I don't think comparing the two on their release schedule is overly fair. WL devs are working on a far more ambitious project and add more in most individual patches, which drop every few months, than FD has added in the last few years of development.

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
I think the difference there is that WL devs might have succumbed to scope creep a little, OK maybe more than a little, but they are undoubtedly developing a game and you can see significant progress being made incrementally as you'd expect from a small team working on a large project. The changes in scope also seem to be relatively well controlled, documented (at least based on their public posts) and planned so it might be unfair to call it scope creep over scope change.

Meanwhile FD's development is... sheer fucking chaos. Calling it scope creep doesn't even seem sufficient when they've repeatedly changed the entire direction of the project or randomly abandoned features (sometimes post-implementation). They also had long periods with zero, or near-zero, progress being made and from the original features users were expecting the only changes we've seen in years are a handful of models and animations being added.

I still probably won't buy WL until later in the projects life cycle but I don't think comparing the two on their release schedule is overly fair. WL devs are working on a far more ambitious project and add more in most individual patches, which drop every few months, than FD has added in the last few years of development.
Check WL's thread starting date. Merely calling it a scope creep or scope change is a massive understatement regardless of how well it might be documented by its own developer. In my eyes only difference between these two games is online component. Add forced online component to WL and it suddenly becomes just like FD(I'm talking about current state of both "games", not about their scope/goal/plans/whatever).

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
Check WL's thread starting date. Merely calling it a scope creep or scope change is a massive understatement regardless of how well it might be documented by its own developer. In my eyes only difference between these two games is online component. Add forced online component to WL and it suddenly becomes just like FD(I'm talking about current state of both "games", not about their scope/goal/plans/whatever).
I mean WL actually has a framework for quests, in game events, conversation trees, NPC behaviour (with LODs), pathfinding, a sandbox with associated tooling, mini-games, combat system and so on. Saying the only difference between WL and FD is the multiplayer component seems disingenuous, one of them has actually implemented a lot of systems and all of them sit inside the original project scope of making an adult RPG.

That said simply having a large scope, or even one that grows as the project progresses, isn't scope creep. Scope creep is when you keep changing the scope without any kind of change management process or controls. WL was always going to take years to develop, changing a few things like redoing the map or switching to UE5 isn't scope creep if it's planned and managed appropriately.

The difference with FD is that FD doesn't seem to have any kind of plan, Helius has been arbitrarily flailing about doing stuff like (as I mentioned above) removing features post-implementation only to plan to reimplement them in the future. Or still changing plans for the core gameplay loop 5+ years into the project (what is it now, async card battles or something?). It's kind of insane to watch and whilst WL isn't free from criticism, I doubt any project of this type is, it's not even in the same ballpark for disorder as FD.

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
I mean WL actually has a framework for quests, in game events, conversation trees, NPC behaviour (with LODs), pathfinding, a sandbox with associated tooling, mini-games, combat system and so on. Saying the only difference between WL and FD is the multiplayer component seems disingenuous, one of them has actually implemented a lot of systems and all of them sit inside the original project scope of making an adult RPG.

The difference with FD is that FD doesn't seem to have any kind of plan, Helius has been arbitrarily flailing about doing stuff like (as I mentioned above) removing features post-implementation only to plan to reimplement them in the future. Or still changing plans for the core gameplay loop 5+ years into the project (what is it now, async card battles or something?). It's kind of insane to watch and whilst WL isn't free from criticism, I doubt any project of this type is, it's not even in the same ballpark for disorder as FD.
It might seem disingenuous but that's what I think, hence "in my eyes". While WL might have incorporated some systems related to rpg genre, ultimately all of those systems exist without any playable game to speak of. You can talk to npc? Yes, but it has no purpose other than selecting "lets have sex". They have pathfinding? I don't know or care. What does pathfinding provide for the non-existent role playing experience part of the "game"? It has minigames? Which minigames? Sex ones? Calling them minigames when all you do is press different keys(options) to watch different animations seems like an exaggeration. If they are minigames then Koikatsu or COM3D2 should be considered a fully fledged rpg with conversation trees and everything you just mentioned. But we both probably know these games are not even role playing games, right?

That said simply having a large scope, or even one that grows as the project progresses, isn't scope creep. Scope creep is when you keep changing the scope without any kind of change management process or controls. WL was always going to take years to develop, changing a few things like redoing the map or switching to UE5 isn't scope creep if it's planned and managed appropriately.
The entire history of WL, summarized:
-> guys we are making an open world adult role playing game here's our empty world map
-> guys we are remaking the map to add enemies and shit
-> guys while we are remaking the map we thought it would be better to add a new mode called "sandbox" so you can freely watch sex animations while waiting for us to remake the map
-> guys rest assured we are still remaking the map but while you are waiting we thought it would be better to add tons of sex animations you can watch freely in sandbox
-> guys we re-made the map, here you go, also a bunch more sex animations you can watch in "sandbox" mode
-> guys we are still not happy with the re-made map so we are re-remaking it
-> guys rest assured we are still re-remaking the map but while you are waiting we thought it would be better to add tons of sex animations you can watch freely in sandbox
-> guys we are giving you some more "sandbox" tools, it is now possible to play PONG in "sandbox" mode, which has nothing to do with the adult open world role playing game we are making
-> guys we re-remade the map but our progress was so slow a new version of the engine came out so we are moving from ue4 to ue5, that means we need to re-reremake the map again
-> here is some more "sandbox" tools, they allow you to create animations by yourself, which has nothing to do with the adult open world role playing game we are making
(YOU ARE HERE) -> guys rest assured we are still re-reremaking the map but while you are waiting we thought it would be better to add tons of sex animations you can watch freely in sandbox

At this point, if someone were to extract all animations from WL, there would be enough animations at hand to develop 3 different games.

changing a few things like redoing the map or switching to UE5 isn't scope creep if it's planned and managed appropriately.
What about re-rereredoing the map? While writing this I just realized I might've forgotten a few more "remakes" in the summary I've written above.
I don't think it is managed appropriately. I think it is done this way intentionally just to keep patreon money flowing. The moment this "game" gets finished and releases on steam will be the moment patreon money flow stops, just like FD.

Reactions: Wlms

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
What about re-rereredoing the map? While writing this I just realized I might've forgotten a few more "remakes" in the summary I've written above.
I don't think it is managed appropriately. I think it is done this way intentionally just to keep patreon money flowing. The moment this "game" gets finished and releases on steam will be the moment patreon money flow stops, just like FD.
Haven't they only completely redone the map once? I just reread their UE5 posts and it discussed porting maps to UE5 (albeit dropping the demo map), so it doesn't seem like they redid everything for it?

And ignoring the small prototype they made for the Steam demo everything I've seen so far has been blockout so redoing the map doesn't seem like a big deal, hell if anything it's inevitable there will be changes which is why it was blockout.

I do, personally, think the sandbox was a waste of time but adding animations to it isn't really additional work if they're dropping in animations that they've been creating for the actual game.

And yes stuff like pathfinding is important, as is NPC behaviour and the like. You can't really have an RPG (or any kind of complicated 3D game) without it. FD took the other approach and just got rid of any gameplay elements or systems that were beyond Helius' ability to implement.

The games just really aren't even comparable in terms of work conducted, quality of work or likelihood of being completed.

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
Haven't they only completely redone the map once?
The games just really aren't even comparable in terms of work conducted, quality of work or likelihood of being completed.
Well, let's just agree to disagree. If you think that was WL's one and only map rework/remake/whatever that just means you have very limited knowledge. I personally "played" 2 remakes of its map and I only know WL basically ever since I created an account on this forum. So basically I knew about it for around 2.5 years. But beyond my personal experience with the "game" I also know about other map remakes(and a lot of other shit surrounding the development of the game) thanks to its own thread on this forum. Its map has been indeed reworked many times. Kinda similar to how Helius reworked original fallen doll to make this "game" then reworked it a couple more times, including the ue5 "rework". Like I said, I see them equals and I've already given reasons why. Let's just wait and see which will come out first.

On the other hand, there is good ol' scam citizen. I still remember people were thinking(even on f95zone) it was about to be released just because they released a trailer for squadron 42, and even that happened 6 months ago. Last time I heard it was complete and they were only "polishing" it :ROFLMAO:

Nihil5320

Jul 2, 2022
Well, let's just agree to disagree. If you think that was WL's one and only map rework/remake/whatever that just means you have very limited knowledge. I personally "played" 2 remakes of its map and I only know WL basically ever since I created an account on this forum. So basically I knew about it for around 2.5 years. But beyond my personal experience with the "game" I also know about other map remakes(and a lot of other shit surrounding the development of the game) thanks to its own thread on this forum. Its map has been indeed reworked many times. Kinda similar to how Helius reworked original fallen doll to make this "game" then reworked it a couple more times, including the ue5 "rework". Like I said, I see them equals and I've already given reasons why. Let's just wait and see which will come out first.

On the other hand, there is good ol' scam citizen. I still remember people were thinking(even on f95zone) it was about to be released just because they released a trailer for squadron 42, and even that happened 6 months ago. Last time I heard it was complete and they were only "polishing" it :ROFLMAO:
Maybe it's just me missing the changes tbh but I've only known fisher village and the rework in 2021/2 when they redid the map to make it larger. So three map iterations in total, if you count the demo which is probably a bit unfair. I heard about WL a long time ago but I only check on it periodically so they could have had a few complete map redesigns I missed but I can't find them searching the WL thread.

I just don't think it's that big a deal if it's done when the map is still in blockout phase, same with switching to UE5 (as a few projects have done). It's not a major change akin to switching from a horror puzzler to an xcom clone, from an xcom clone to a brothel management sim, from a brothel management sim to a strategy game... to a card battler... with bonus points for only ever having prototyped one concept (which was partially implemented and abandoned).

But we can agree to disagree on that. As for Star Citizen just... urgh. They took a really good game concept, bloated the development to hell and back and then made it pay to win just to really make sure it sucks even if they accidentally finish it.

BobKilan

Jun 26, 2019

To be fair, FD's development changed because Patreon users voted for it to change multiple times when polls were created. A huge part of this is because of those funding the game on Patreon opted for it, at least a statistical majority. There was also some influence from parties who were going to financially back the project that seem to have fallen through as Helius moved away from them and they seemed to have been the initial influence of online portions, etc., that have since evolved. Some decisions have been directed, by Helius, of course, but the core onus is definitely on its supporters who chose this route.

The bigger issue with FD is Helius is incompetent and, clearly, has poor programming habits that are prone to errors. Further, Helius basically refuses outright to hire additional programmers similar to the gross incompetence displayed over on Virt-A-Mate's development by developer Mesh. After all, why rush progress along by hiring real competent programmers to assist you when you can slow development and soak up those sweet Patreon subscriptions. If you think Helius is bad here you should look at some of the shit Mesh does. Helius has nothing on him. Anyways, this creates regularly catastrophic buggy updates that takes a couple of days to weeks to fix each time, slows development in general, and means he has to cut out developing other aspects of the game like the campaign to focus on one thing at a time as a one many wannabe (joke) development army rather than stepping back and acting as a designer/lead role with a programmer force employed under him. Oh, and Helius likes to troll and provide unclear information, change stuff at the last minute, or outright lie and bait for subscriptions like the Galatea stuff.

Some things like the UE5 upgrades or engine overhaul, which is still a joke as high end GPUs are literally incapable of coming even remotely close to being fully utilized at native 4K (aka without upscaling) because the game chokes on CPU utilization on the most powerful CPUs more than super computers running simulations, were definitely necessary. Maybe one day we can use more than 40% of a RTX 4090 in the game... Still, it is better than the disaster it was before and it needed the visual improvements as the game looks much better than it did 2 years ago where other projects are looking quite dated in this rather dried up adult game scene where most of the interesting projects were abandoned and the ones left look like they might only finish after we all die of old age like VAM, FD, etc.

I can't comment on WL as I don't care for furries so I'll leave you all to debate that one.

Heracullum

Aug 7, 2018
To be fair, FD's development changed because Patreon users voted for it to change multiple times when polls were created. A huge part of this is because of those funding the game on Patreon opted for it, at least a statistical majority. There was also some influence from parties who were going to financially back the project that seem to have fallen through as Helius moved away from them and they seemed to have been the initial influence of online portions, etc., that have since evolved. Some decisions have been directed, by Helius, of course, but the core onus is definitely on its supporters who chose this route.

The bigger issue with FD is Helius is incompetent and, clearly, has poor programming habits that are prone to errors. Further, Helius basically refuses outright to hire additional programmers similar to the gross incompetence displayed over on Virt-A-Mate's development by developer Mesh. After all, why rush progress along by hiring real competent programmers to assist you when you can slow development and soak up those sweet Patreon subscriptions. If you think Helius is bad here you should look at some of the shit Mesh does. Helius has nothing on him. Anyways, this creates regularly catastrophic buggy updates that takes a couple of days to weeks to fix each time, slows development in general, and means he has to cut out developing other aspects of the game like the campaign to focus on one thing at a time as a one many wannabe (joke) development army rather than stepping back and acting as a designer/lead role with a programmer force employed under him. Oh, and Helius likes to troll and provide unclear information, change stuff at the last minute, or outright lie and bait for subscriptions like the Galatea stuff.

Some things like the UE5 upgrades or engine overhaul, which is still a joke as high end GPUs are literally incapable of coming even remotely close to being fully utilized at native 4K (aka without upscaling) because the game chokes on CPU utilization on the most powerful CPUs more than super computers running simulations, were definitely necessary. Maybe one day we can use more than 40% of a RTX 4090 in the game... Still, it is better than the disaster it was before and it needed the visual improvements as the game looks much better than it did 2 years ago where other projects are looking quite dated in this rather dried up adult game scene where most of the interesting projects were abandoned and the ones left look like they might only finish after we all die of old age like VAM, FD, etc.

I can't comment on WL as I don't care for furries so I'll leave you all to debate that one.
What is VAM?

BobKilan

Jun 26, 2019
Neither do I. Didn't count them but humans probably have more than half of the animations in WL. Perhaps you are confusing it with Carnal Instinct.
I wouldn't know for either as I don't play either. I just know Wildlife has that content but wasn't aware humans made up the bulk of it.

What is VAM?
Extending on PhadarSolo's answer to you, think of it as a poorly optimized but technically functional sandbox for small scenes involving 1-3 characters, more if you have a more powerful PC but most scenes are designed for 1-3 anyways. There is an asset / scene store built into it and the VAM website where you can download other creators content like character models, scenes which include animations/models/props/etc., and so forth. A lot of content is also housed on Patreon. Quality is, honestly, kind of poor and the game is seriously fucking unoptimized. Don't even get me started on the atrocious loading if you have tons of files or duplicated files because Mesh was too fucking lazy to fix one of the biggest programming & design fails we'll ever witness (a powerful PC will not save you with its loading fails, only deleting unused files). I should also point out it has many bugs and is terribly CPU limited so if you are on a weaker CPU don't even bother. I have a laundry list of other complaints about it but I digress.

VAM can be alright though it has a small learning curve for basic use and a much larger learning curve for more advanced use, of which most will not find necessary.

Filtering through all the filth of random ass poor quality content created for easy money is by far the worst aspect, but if you find any content you like you might appreciate it.

For all its flaws it has some merit so it might be worth checking out and giving it a whirl to see if you like it or not.

Reactions: edhorren

Insane0003

Jul 8, 2020
in harem mode....the texture of the character model are rendering properly....
any solutions to fix that?
plz help :)

3.80 star(s) 66 Votes