Unity - Completed - Eliminator Kaede [v1.2] [Moyashi Institute Of Technical Research]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Dodecahedron125

This game is so much wasted potential.

First of all, there seems to be no gamepad support, so you have to play with keyboard and mouse, which is bad news for me since I prefer to play with a game controller.

The main game mode is a survival game where you get to fight endless waves of enemies (so you can't win, you will have to die at some point, or you will just turn off the game in order to go to sleep). There is a sniper minigame and some "extra missions" where you have to shoot red balloons in a limited amount of time or something like that (both of these minigames were very uninteresting to me, so I mainly just played the survival mode).

On the bright side, the survival game is pretty fun. Every new wave will have ten more enemies (so Wave 1 has 10 enemies, Wave 2 has 20 enemies, Wave 3 has 30 enemies, and so on) with the exception of waves that are multiples of five, which feature some stronger boss enemies that increase by two rather than by ten (so Wave 5 will have 2 boss enemies, Wave 10 will have 4 boss enemies, Wave 15 will have 6 boss enemies, and so on). This pattern seems to go on indefinitely until you either die or quit the game. You need time in order to replenish ammo and heal your HP, so having more and more enemies in each wave will make it harder and harder to find a moment to get ammo and heal, and that makes the game fun and interesting.

About healing HP, the best way to go about it seems to be to buy drinks at the vending machines (which let you gain what could be called "blue HP", which is probably some kind of hydration bar, and that MP is converted to HP when you crouch down and do nothing). You can also eat food (which is actually free since you can find it lying around on the ground, while you have to use CP to buy drinks, CP being the points you earn by playing the game) but it seems you will vomit if you eat too much and you will build up "red MP" which will fuck up your "blue MP" turning it into "pink MP" and you will heal less HP when crouching down (or no HP at all if you have only "red MP"). There are also scat mechanics that I do not fully understand and so I won't get into it.

The actual shooting is pretty satisfying and you get a variety of weapons (the default assault rifle with grenade launcher is pretty cool, but the sniper rifle is probably the most overpowered weapon in the game since it seems able to one-shot almost any enemy except possibly the bosses).

There is only one stage to play in and it is a relatively large area, which you should take advantage of in order to get away from enemies when you're low on ammo or on HP.

There is a decent variety of enemies:
    1. Normal zombies (which aren't exactly zombies but rather failed clones but basically all the enemies are monsters that behave roughly like zombies) are the most common kind of enemy and they are relatively fast, they will often run straight at you.
    2. Bomber zombies are probably the most dangerous kind of enemy. They look like walking bombs with arms and legs. It only takes one shot with any weapon to kill them, but when they die they explode, so make sure you hit them from a safe distance. They also explode when they touch you, so they will try to come at you like a zealous jihadist. They constantly emit a creepy sound that grows stronger the nearer they are to you, which is very useful since this way you can notice their presence using your ears even when they are behind you.
    3. Blood zombies (by the way, all these names aren't official or anything, but it's just how I call them) have no arms and no face (except for a big hole that could be their mouth) and they will shoot some kind of boiling red liquid (presumably blood) that will form a large pool on the ground. If you step on this red pool you will take heavy damage. These enemies seem to freeze up for a few moments after shooting their boiling blood (maybe they are reloading?), so you should take advantage of that to shoot them or to run away.
    4. Armored zombies look exactly like normal zombies except that instead of being flesh-colored they have a metal gray color (as it looks like some kind of metal armor covers their whole bodies). These enemies have a lot of HP but they are pretty slow (guess the metal armor slows them down).
    5. Shooter zombies are just normal zombies with a gun. Their aim usually ain't that great. What makes them slightly dangerous is friendly fire: sometimes they hit bomber zombies and detonate them, which can be dangerous if you're near the bomber zombie.
    6. Invisible zombies are just normal zombies but you can't see them. They still show up on your radar and they are not completely invisible so you can just barely notice them when you are close enough.
    7. Boss zombies are pretty tough and they can throw rocks at you from a distance (which is a much more dangerous ranged attack than the shooter zombies'). When they die there is a blood explosion that blinds you for a second and deals you some damage, so make sure you are not to close when they die. Their corpses leave behind five or six small monsters that crawl on the ground and explode when they touch you, again blinding you. The easiest way to get rid of the little monsters is to shoot the corpse with the assault rifle's grenade launcher (or use a hand grenade, though those are trickier to use). Incidentally, even though grenades are effective against the small monsters that crawl out of the boss zombies' bodies, the boss zombies themselves seem invulnerable to explosions, so don't bother using grenades on them (or the explosive sniper rifle, for that matter).

About grenades, there are two kinds of them: hand grenades and launched grenades. You always have three hand grenades regardless of your main weapon, while you only get the other type of grenades when you have the assault rifle, that comes with a grenade launcher with eleven grenades. Launched grenades are a lot easier to use and you even get more of them (eleven versus three): they explode on impact so you just have to aim at the enemy (or at the enemy's feet, since the explosion is powerful enough to kill most nearby enemies except the armored zombies, who have a lot of HP, and the boss zombies, who seem to be invulnerable to explosions) and be done with it. Hand grenades on the other hand do not explode on impact, they explode after four or five seconds have elapsed since you armed the grenade. By holding down the grenade button you can keep the grenade in your hand after arming it, and when you release the button you will throw the grenade. If you time it right you can get the grenade to explode right where you want it, but if you time it wrong you may die since if the grenade explodes in your hand you are likely to get a game over.

Incidentally, explosions don't always kill you: if you're lucky you will be left with a little HP, but you may lose your head. Somehow the heroine doesn't die even when she is beheaded, so you can just recover your HP and keep playing with a headless heroine. It is an interesting experience to witness a headless, scantly clad anime girl shooting monsters.
    Most enemies can also be beheaded when you get a headshot, and again even the enemies won't die even with a missing head (the author seems to believe heads are unimportant) though you will get a headshot bonus for every enemy you behead, so if you want to rack up more points you may want to get headshots nonetheless. Shooting the enemies' arms will make them unable to attack, while shooting their legs seems to be the fastest way to kill them.

There is a fair bit of alternative costumes that you can unlock with CP (the points you get by playing the game), most of which are very sexy and customizable (panties are often optional). You can also unlock a second player character besides Kaede, a girl with cat ears called Momiji. (She is more flat-chested than Kaede, if that's your thing.) Unfortunately the second character seems to have no alternative costumes except for the microbikini (which is a nice costume anyway).

So, yeah, as you can probably tell from this lengthy review, I really liked this game a lot. Unfortunately I cannot say it is a great game: it feels very much incomplete to me. Having a main game mode (survival mode) where you can't win (you just have to die at some point) doesn't give any closure to the player. It would have been nice if the author had come up with a better game mode (you know, with actual stages instead of just one big arena, like most shooter games) where you can actually clear the game. Survival mode should be just an extra, it shouldn't be the main game. So it feels like the game is missing something essential, which is a shame, since the game mechanics are pretty nice and the heroines are cute, so if the author had put a bit more effort in creating actual stages this would have been a great game. Another minor flaw I should mention is that the heroines' butts jiggle while running and while crouching or standing up, but they do not jiggle while shooting, which is a glaring omission since you would expect the recoil would make their butts jiggle a little. And perhaps it would also be nice to have several possible sidearms instead of just one handgun: there are many main weapons to choose form, but you only get one handgun as sidearm and you can't change it.

So, yeah, Eliminator Kaede could have been a very good game, but in my opinion it falls way too short of its potential. I hope the author will one day create a sequel that will address some of the shortfalls of this game but I won't be holding my breath since his latest "game" seems to be a rather shitty VR thing.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

cippalo

Excellent graphics and playability, little sex but very well done with even orgasmic contractions. Sniper mode is a lot of fun. There are also some missions that are almost impossible to overcome. To download and play absolutely.