Ren'Py Early life crisis (a mid life crisis fan game)

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Hi friends!

I have decided to make a fan game of mid life crisis. I'm not really a developer but I have enjoyed making some renders. I have about 2000 renders done and an extra 600 animation renders. I have fully written maybe two of the 5 chapters I have rendered. Which I am finding quite frustratingly slow. I have also decided I prefer my 4k renders over the 1920x1080. I started the game last summer when the original creator disappeared for 3-4 months and then stopped working on it for a while when I realized I didn't like the way it looked in webp compared to pngs. But I will release as webp anywayrs. I sadly did all my post production on the webps so redoing this a second time was a . . . 'let's do something else for a while' moment. Also 4k and png are probably not worth the extra render time as most people who will 'play' the game won't notice.

I would love some feedback on how I am doing. If there is a programmer who wants to help me add a button to let the reader click an alternative view that would be cool too.

Also editing suggestions are helpful. I am going to redirect any one who wants to donate back to the original creator of the series; so I don't really have a budget to pay anyone for help. But free fan game for f95 users that maybe someone will like?

Anything else I should add?

Here is a link to the first two chapters to download if you feel like checking it out:

Add new gui to game file for a better experience.

c2s1007.png c1s1008.png 4443.png facesum3.png cxs6026a.png bedrom 8 position 4N_Camera (11).png girlsbedroom71b.png girlsbedroom68.png c2s5000animation70.jpg c2s5065.png
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
cxs6026a.png c2s5065.png

Last edited:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It looks pretty decent, but mother of god, chill out on the expressions. Subtlety is an art in and of itself, and it's something you'll find with expressions on people day to day. Nipples look sort off, but passable.

4443.png

This is nightmare fuel, mind if I keep it to meme on people with? :ROFLMAO:

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
It looks pretty decent, but mother of god, chill out on the expressions. Subtlety is an art in and of itself, and it's something you'll find with expressions on people day to day. Nipples look sort off, but passable.

View attachment 1916960

This is nightmare fuel, mind if I keep it to meme on people with? :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the feed back.Do you feel the expressions are over done in the sample novella or just the posted images?

I thought that image was fun. it comes from a chapter with 900 images I haven’t posted cuz I am very slow at writing. Feel free to use as nightmare fuel if you like.

Reactions: MissFortune

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Do you feel the expressions are over done in the sample novella or just the posted images?
It's mostly the posted images, but there are some throughout the novella. Of course, if you're into it, then by all means keep in there. Just my opinion. But generally, my rule of thumb is just sort of asking myself "Does this expression look natural?" If there's a hint of doubt there, then it probably doesn't look natural.

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
```
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/chapter2.rpy", line 571, in script
jump chapter2a
ScriptError: could not find label 'chapter2a'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/chapter2.rpy", line 571, in script
jump chapter2a
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1757, in execute
rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
File "renpy/script.py", line 918, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))
ScriptError: could not find label 'chapter2a'.

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Earlylife Crisis 0.07
Wed Jul 27 00:01:57 2022
```

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Noegrets Hey, congrats on getting as far as you have already, and for being brave enough to drop your creation out here for feedback.

Did you get anyone to give useful feedback to you on your game demo?

I just tried to download it then but the file has been removed from Mega.

I'm trying to remember what previous game I saw a character who looked like the black hair girl before - she was the angry 'tsundere' older sister in that one.

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
She is from the game midlife crisis. This was a fan tribute.
I got a little feed back that some of the expressions seemed overdone but that was about it. Could re up this weekend though if you wanted to check it out.

Reactions: fugazi666

Shadow2007

Aug 9, 2020
Hi friends!

I have decided to make a fan game of mid life crisis. I'm not really a developer but I have enjoyed making some renders. I have about 2000 renders done and an extra 600 animation renders. I have fully written maybe two of the 5 chapters I have rendered. Which I am finding quite frustratingly slow. I have also decided I prefer my 4k renders over the 1920x1080. I started the game last summer when the original creator disappeared for 3-4 months and then stopped working on it for a while when I realized I didn't like the way it looked in webp compared to pngs. But I will release as webp anywayrs. I sadly did all my post production on the webps so redoing this a second time was a . . . 'let's do something else for a while' moment. Also 4k and png are probably not worth the extra render time as most people who will 'play' the game won't notice.

I would love some feedback on how I am doing. If there is a programmer who wants to help me add a button to let the reader click an alternative view that would be cool too.

Also editing suggestions are helpful. I am going to redirect any one who wants to donate back to the original creator of the series; so I don't really have a budget to pay anyone for help. But free fan game for f95 users that maybe someone will like?

Anything else I should add?

Here is a link to the first two chapters to download if you feel like checking it out:

Add new gui to game file for a better experience.

View attachment 1876181 View attachment 1876196 View attachment 1878952 View attachment 1878955 View attachment 1878961 View attachment 1878960 View attachment 1878958 View attachment 1878957 View attachment 1878956 View attachment 1878985
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
View attachment 1878961 View attachment 1878985
Just tried to download your file and it's not there....

Reactions: WolferQT