Ren'Py Abandoned Dragon Date [December Demo] [Akemari Studios]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Matte89.bb

Sep 11, 2017
Holdup, their budget was only 15k? Man, they really lowballed themselves.
To be honest, on their kickstarter page they put 8000 dollars as target.

In the end they managed to raise 15000 dollars before people started to realize that their money in truth were going to fund the developer's vacation in a 5 star hotel in Hawaii :cautious:

I'm sorry for the people who funded this game. They truly did not deserve to be mocked like this.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
To be honest, on their kickstarter page they put 8000 dollars as target.

In the end they managed to raise 15000 dollars before people started to realize that their money in truth were going to fund the developer's vacation in a 5 star hotel in Hawaii :cautious:

I'm sorry for the people who funded this game. They truly did not deserve to be mocked like this.
Yeah, I noticed the 8k original goal when I went to double check. I totally forgot about the Hawaiian vacation thing. I can't tell if the dev was just overoptimistic about their budget or if they never really intended to make a game at all. That's an insanely dumb budget for the goals they had.

Matte89.bb

Sep 11, 2017
I totally forgot about the Hawaiian vacation thing.
To be honest this was a joke i made, but in all honesty i'm not so sure that we are so far from the truth ;)
Somewhere those 15000 dollars went. Where? Not in the game probably.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
To be honest this was a joke i made, but in all honesty i'm not so sure that we are so far from the truth ;)
Somewhere those 15000 dollars went. Where? Not in the game probably.
It was? Shit, I must be mixing up different Kickstarters. I forget, was this dude the one who couldn't pay the artists that were supposed to be working on the game, so they had to hire someone else to do it and it looks nothing like the original?

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
This was the game that taught me never to kickstart anything ever again.

I was one of the fools that decided to back this developer but on the bright side, I haven't lost any more money on crowd funding since.

Matte89.bb

Sep 11, 2017
I forget, was this dude the one who couldn't pay the artists that were supposed to be working on the game, so they had to hire someone else to do it and it looks nothing like the original?
i had never heard of this...what an amateur mistake.

Before doing something, always be sure that you have at least the minimum amount of money required to pay the people working for you.

Astriedax

May 15, 2017
It's on the same state since release. I guess it came in 2014 maybe even earlier, can't remember.
Obviously a scam.
I remember of another game on RPGM, was making a big buck on Patreon, they started more or less when these kind of games started, so there was virtually no competition, over 10k/month. Released the demo, same as this one, then radio silence, and nothing to show for years. When people asked about progress, the guy would go as far as show some bank account data as if it would mean anything, and shaming people, saying he was the hardest working person ever, and he was even putting his own money in the project, what a joke.

Patreon/Kickstarter is by default designed to scam people. There's no guarantee the product will ever be made, there's no minimal work/progress ETA, there isn't even a check if said person has any professional background of what he is supposedly to deliver.
Only use Patreon and alike when you want to give money away. The money was lost forever, if the person does actually deliver, consider yourself luck.
If you truly expect to get something in return, then only support people with many released products and years using the platform, in order to validate himself.

Reactions: Red Sand

Matte89.bb

Sep 11, 2017
Patreon and Kickstarters are basically a donation.
The ones recieving your money can't be forced to deliver what they promise.

It's basically like giving money to a random stranger you meet across your street and asking him to buy you [insert item]. Then you hope he will deliver it to you, instead of just running away with your money.

That's also why i don't really understand people that keep complaining when they get scammed. They should be aware of the high risk they are doing.

Afterall, they give away money to a randow "indie developer" and hope he will deliver something instead of grabbing the money and shortly after disappear...

In short, donating money in Patreon/Kickstarter is a gamble. And everyone should be aware that when you gamble...sometime you obtain something, but most of the time you loose it all

Matte89.bb

Sep 11, 2017
November Update
Akemari StudiosCreator
November 3, 2021

In short Akemari is alive... That is all.
View attachment 1494662
If you can call "being alive" what they wrote in this update. :)
Here, let me quote the last part of the developer's post.

"""So yea, bad news all around. I've decided not to include a chart because it's barely progressed since the last update. I will include one at the end of the year though.

Sorry as always for the continued delays and overall incompetence on my part. I honestly don't know why it's so hard for me to just buckle down and finish this. That said, I'm going to keep doing my best, moving along slowly but surely. I'll see you guys at the end of the year, hopefully with some better news to report.

~ Mari """

Maybe when i'll be old, the game will be developed :sneaky:

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
As I said before, this is the one that taught me to never support a kickstarter dev.

I've never seen a more incompetent developer at the head of a project. The only things she's managed to get right are the constant string of excuses over the years.

I don't think she has anyone on side that still believed her bullshit anymore. Kickstarter backers all believe we were scammed and I can't say otherwise. I lost a chunk of money on this and haven't backed another game since.

Even thought it wasn't a massive amount of money it's still my biggest financial regret. If time travel was ever a thing i'd go back and slap myself before backing this and call myself a dumbass for considering.

Worst . dev . ever.

Matte89.bb

Sep 11, 2017
As I said before, this is the one that taught me to never support a kickstarter dev.

I've never seen a more incompetent developer at the head of a project. The only things she's managed to get right are the constant string of excuses over the years.

I don't think she has anyone on side that still believed her bullshit anymore. Kickstarter backers all believe we were scammed and I can't say otherwise. I lost a chunk of money on this and haven't backed another game since.

Even thought it wasn't a massive amount of money it's still my biggest financial regret. If time travel was ever a thing i'd go back and slap myself before backing this and call myself a dumbass for considering.

Worst . dev . ever.
And let me add that if she had a modicum of kindness or even better, dignity, in her soul, at least she would have refunded her backers.

Why? Because if you are unable to fullfill your promises, it would have been the right thing to do.

But of course it's easyer and better to just grab the money and disappear in a cloud of empty promises :sneaky:

Luckily i've never backed anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: masterdragonson

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
And let me add that if she had a modicum of kindness or even better, dignity, in her soul, at least she would have refunded her backers.

Why? Because if you are unable to fullfill your promises, it would have been the right thing to do.

But of course it's easyer and better to just grab the money and disappear in a cloud of empty promises :sneaky:

Luckily i've never backed anyone.
That assumes she still has the money from the campaign. Things like crowdfunding don't offer a lot of protections, people mostly pile their money into a big burn barrel, and hope it gives decent results... A lot of times it just burns.

1520164257003.jpg
This is essentially every Kickstarter though not many come back on Tuesday :LOL: Patreon isn't much different but you can put in less upfront and pull out before she blows. Once the platform takes their cut they wipe their hands clean of anything even holding the crowdfunder responsible for promises made. Mostly anyone that treats any crowdfunding place as a legitimate marketplace will get burned sooner or later. Sure buy into the dream if you want but until you see results consider any money given to be a donation.

I check in every now and then for the fun but at least earlier she showed pinups of dragon girls now it's just somewhere over the rainbow ♪

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote