Oct 26, 2017
I don't know a lot of JavaScript, but in Python, the parenthesis around the variable wouldn't affect in this case, as the interpreter would see it as a math expression (it wouldn't transform the variable in a tuple, for example). Is it the case for JS?

But the weird part is... despite the fact I've never used the Timed Attack plugins, I did find out that this variable was related to the result of a QTE. But... there is no QTE in Domina at all.

When I tried to debug the Trick Shot skill, I did several manipulations to the formula to see how it would work. I remind to have tried things like these:

JavaScript:
"formula":"a.atk * 6 * ($gameTemp.tas_power) - b.def * 2"

// or:

"formula":"a.atk * 6 - ($gameTemp.tas_power)"
I think I even tried to just sum everything.

In all these cases, the attack would always return 0. It only resumed to work when I removed the variable from the formula. My guess is that, since there's no QTE event in the game, the variable itself was never initialized, so it probably have garbage data (as JS is a dynamically typed language like Python).

That said, I don't remind to have tried your solution, and I don't have Domina anymore. Did you had success in making it work?
(Unfortunately I no longer play Domina either, so I can't test it... I'd have to redownload it and restart from scratch heh.)

Oh right, yeah, in JavaScript, the interpreter doesn't mind - JavaScript is a lot less mindful than Python and doesn't even have variable types (which can lead to funny situations like 1+1=11 because the coder didn't specify it's meant to be an integer and JavaScript treats that as a string concatenation - summarizes it as a meme, you had to make literal multiplications in some edge-case situations to typecast).

The plugin indeed is meant to be a QTE as far as I know (a gauge, to be accurate - the closer to the center you are, the better the damage if I recall correctly; it's one of the less frustrating QTEs rather than those damn blitz-like press keys that make you go crazy if you happen to have very slow reflexes or a machine that barely registers keystrokes and you end up using a macro lol).

The cases you described above should have returned some damage, but it makes sense if there is no QTE at all, because then that simply means the variable is completely unused (and probably defaults to 0 - just to make Deka's work harder and force him to act like an actual developer, plugin writers shouldn't spoonfeed him and force him to declare the variable or break the game because it'll be undefined, not testing one's game is a serious sin). As lax as JavaScript is, it will still blow up in your face if you try to use undefined variables or rightfully troll you with NaN (and RMMV/RMMZ's pixiJS will add to it by crashing the entire game because of a trivial console error that might not even affect the game - one of the worst design flaws of the RPG Maker engines over the years along with including tons of junk and duplicate nwjs libs that end up being unused, yay wasted gigabytes after a few game projects on your machine if you don't quickly grow a cleanup mindset; you definitely should as soon as possible, this piles up really fast).

I guess it's just better to completely remove the $gameTemp.tas_power altogether if it doesn't even show up (you can also check in plugins.js if it's enabled - or directly in a RMMV/RMMZ project file - but if you don't have Domina either, someone else will have to; it wouldn't surprise me that Deka would also have the plugin off). To account for the description, might want to increase the multiplier on a.atk a bit since that's still a bit low depending on what player stats are at this point (if I recall correctly though, Dominas had like 30-50k HP and their defense stats generally weren't all that high so it should still deal reasonable damage).

(Sorry for the very long post and late reply by the way - on top of barely visiting F95, I forgot to rewatch this thread.)

SevySub

Aug 17, 2019
(Unfortunately I no longer play Domina either, so I can't test it... I'd have to redownload it and restart from scratch heh.)

Oh right, yeah, in JavaScript, the interpreter doesn't mind - JavaScript is a lot less mindful than Python and doesn't even have variable types (which can lead to funny situations like 1+1=11 because the coder didn't specify it's meant to be an integer and JavaScript treats that as a string concatenation - summarizes it as a meme, you had to make literal multiplications in some edge-case situations to typecast).

The plugin indeed is meant to be a QTE as far as I know (a gauge, to be accurate - the closer to the center you are, the better the damage if I recall correctly; it's one of the less frustrating QTEs rather than those damn blitz-like press keys that make you go crazy if you happen to have very slow reflexes or a machine that barely registers keystrokes and you end up using a macro lol).

The cases you described above should have returned some damage, but it makes sense if there is no QTE at all, because then that simply means the variable is completely unused (and probably defaults to 0 - just to make Deka's work harder and force him to act like an actual developer, plugin writers shouldn't spoonfeed him and force him to declare the variable or break the game because it'll be undefined, not testing one's game is a serious sin). As lax as JavaScript is, it will still blow up in your face if you try to use undefined variables or rightfully troll you with NaN (and RMMV/RMMZ's pixiJS will add to it by crashing the entire game because of a trivial console error that might not even affect the game - one of the worst design flaws of the RPG Maker engines over the years along with including tons of junk and duplicate nwjs libs that end up being unused, yay wasted gigabytes after a few game projects on your machine if you don't quickly grow a cleanup mindset; you definitely should as soon as possible, this piles up really fast).

I guess it's just better to completely remove the $gameTemp.tas_power altogether if it doesn't even show up (you can also check in plugins.js if it's enabled - or directly in a RMMV/RMMZ project file - but if you don't have Domina either, someone else will have to; it wouldn't surprise me that Deka would also have the plugin off). To account for the description, might want to increase the multiplier on a.atk a bit since that's still a bit low depending on what player stats are at this point (if I recall correctly though, Dominas had like 30-50k HP and their defense stats generally weren't all that high so it should still deal reasonable damage).

(Sorry for the very long post and late reply by the way - on top of barely visiting F95, I forgot to rewatch this thread.)
I'll download Domina again and take a look on it this weekend, maybe I can see what's happening.

I always went for the Ranger path and the Trick Shot skill always worked correctly until the last updates, and I don't think it stopped working due to "Dekarous manually adding this variable to every skill and thus crapping them" or something like that. No, these formulas were probably there when he implemented the whole skill tree system in the game.

My guess is that Deka acutally did something with this plugin/variable (which isn't the plugin original purpose, as QTE were never used in Domina as far as I know) and later he did something in the game that crapped this system somehow.

• Wow
Reactions: Succubus Hunter
3.50 star(s) 50 Votes