yilkin

dl.rpdl.net
Donor
Feb 23, 2023
Since when is that a risk with torrents? Also I guess just don't seed.
Unfortunately it's becoming more common. Obviously it depends of the type of content and how much the creator cares about this kind of stuff, but happens nonetheless, even if you just hit and run.

Belizard

Aug 31, 2022
Torrent is open, so yes, your IP is visible there. And typically it isn't possible to not upload the same time you are downloading. Sure, you can stop seeding as soon as you are done, but typically it's too late then, you already HAVE uploaded at this point.

Thus: No (illegal) torrenting without VPN.

Hitman316

Sep 17, 2020
I'm really confused as to what VPN has to do with you being concerned with torrents. Whatever issue you might have with them, I'm pretty sure VPN doesn't solve. VPN just hides your location.
VPNs mask your IP making it harder for content owners to target you with legal actions for seeding/leeching their content.
Unfortunately it's becoming more common. Obviously it depends of the type of content and how much the creator cares about this kind of stuff, but happens nonetheless, even if you just hit and run.
Torrent is open, so yes, your IP is visible there. And typically it isn't possible to not upload the same time you are downloading. Sure, you can stop seeding as soon as you are done, but typically it's too late then, you already HAVE uploaded at this point.

Thus: No (illegal) torrenting without VPN.
The only way to torrent nowadays is via a Seedbox. Anything else is just a security issue. VPN's are nice and all but you're depending on it staying connected 24/7 to mask your location. Yes most VPN's have a kill switch if/when it disconnects, but are you willing to trust it?

Seedbox is the only way to do torrents these days. Google it if you aren't sure what it is. Yes it will cost you some money, but long term it will save you a ton of $$$ from potential headaches. I have been using a Seedbox for about 5 yrs now and I download a lot of content, never gotten a notice like I used to from my ISP. Peace of mind is golden.

Once you go Seedbox, you'll never go back to anything else

Last edited:
Reactions: yilkin

yilkin

dl.rpdl.net
Donor
Feb 23, 2023
The only way to torrent nowadays is via a Seedbox. Anything else is just a security issue. VPN's are nice and all but you're depending on it staying connected 24/7 to mask your location. Yes most VPN's have a kill switch if/when it disconnects, but are you willing to trust it?
Having myself used seedboxes for a while, I agree with this.
However, regarding trusting your VPN when torrenting; a handy trick is to bind your torrent client to your VPN, so if your VPN connection drops, or you disconnect, then you are no longer connected to the torrents, and not taking the risk of compromising yourself.

Reactions: Team Thanos

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021

Seedbox is the only way to do torrents these days. Google it if you aren't sure what it is. Yes it will cost you some money, but long term it will save you a ton of $$$ from potential headaches. I have been using a Seedbox for about 5 yrs now and I download a lot of content, never gotten a notice like I used to from my ISP. Peace of mind is golden.

Once you go Seedbox, you'll never go back to anything else
Meh obfuscation + Killswitch works just fine.
I use VPN generally to get around silly region blocks but with a Shadowsocks Proxy and a VPN you're good.
Worst that will happen is that your Download stops because your connection is lost.
Going to a local freenet usually works too although the speed might vary. But that is kinda like a seedbox I guess.
I'm also no sure why you would trust one service that is out of your hands over another. Unless you make your own and then isn't the geolocation a problem again ?
And when did VPS turn into seedbox. I'm old :(

Last edited:

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021
Having myself used seedboxes for a while, I agree with this.
However, regarding trusting your VPN when torrenting; a handy trick is to bind your torrent client to your VPN, so if your VPN connection drops, or you disconnect, then you are no longer connected to the torrents, and not taking the risk of compromising yourself.
Also this just make your Torrent client use nothing but the VPN Connection. I's gone your connection is dropped. No Ip leaked.
Tunnels are good.

Hitman316

Sep 17, 2020
Meh obfuscation + Killswitch works just fine.
I use VPN generally to get around silly region blocks but with a Shadowsocks Proxy and a VPN you're good.
Worst that will happen is that your Download stops because your connection is lost.
Going to a local freenet usually works too although the speed might vary. But that is kinda like a seedbox I guess.
I'm also no sure why you would trust one service that is out of your hands over another. Unless you make your own and then isn't the geolocation a problem again ?
And when did VPS turn into seedbox. I'm old :(
A VPN definitely has it's place but it was never intended to be used for torrents. It was intended for as you say "getting around silly region blocks". VPN's have evolved over time and as its demand rose, more features were added to accommodate that demand. I am not saying that ppl can't use it for torrents, but that's not what it was created to do and thus will never be perfect. As long as ppl are aware and accept the risks that it isn't perfect and never will be perfect, they can do as they wish.

The beauty of a seedbox is that it is on a separate server and thus it can be online 24/7/365 minus downtime for very occasional maintenance (maybe once a yr). Now why is this a big deal, well I am on 2 private torrent sites where it is a requirement to maintain a 50/50 ratio. When you download a new torrent, you need to share for a minimum of 2 weeks or until you upload the file size of what you downloaded, which ever comes first. If you are tied to your computer, then you need to leave your computer on 24/7 and trust that the VPN will stay connected to meet the 2 week or upload/download requirement. With the seedbox being online 24/7/365, I don't have to have my computer on as the torrent is on the seedbox server, not my computer. I just download the torrent file, drag it over to the seedbox, it downloads to their server and then I download the actual file(s) that were downloaded to their server to my computer. I have uploaded about 100 TB on one site and roughly 50 TB on the other site. It would be very difficult and inconvenient to get those numbers with my computer and VPN.

The other beauty of a seedbox is that your IP address isn't tied to the seedbox at all. If you're going to get nailed for copyright, it's going to be the seedbox IP address that gets the notice, not your IP address. Sure the seedbox will let you know about the notice but they will kill the torrent on their end and that's where it ends. Can't say that about a VPN as if it malfunctions and doesn't work the way it is supposed too, now your IP address is exposed. All it takes is one F up and now you're exposed which could cost you a lot of $$$.

I am not saying that a VPN isn't a solution for torrents, but it's not as foolproof as a seedbox is and doesn't meet my needs for what I need it to do.

Last edited:

GillH

Jan 30, 2019
Seedbox is the way to go for torrenting. It's also basically a must if you want to maintain a good ratio on private trackers

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Depend on where you are from. Some countries are against piracy while others don't give a fuck.

Varek-1

Apr 12, 2019
With all respect to you all, but could we get back to the point we're all here for? Exchange Dofantasy / Fansadox Collection.

You've been discussing for two pages now how this exchange can be carried out safely, but in my opinion that doesn't belong here. But maybe that's just my opinion.

Hitman316

Sep 17, 2020
With all respect to you all, but could we get back to the point we're all here for? Exchange Dofantasy / Fansadox Collection.

You've been discussing for two pages now how this exchange can be carried out safely, but in my opinion that doesn't belong here. But maybe that's just my opinion.
Until there is a new leak, this thread is pretty much dormant the majority of the time. Having off topic discussions kinda fills in the time between leaks. What else is this thread good for if it's dormant the majority of the time.

Having said that, yes, we should probably get back on topic

carlosfoxtrot

Mar 2, 2024
I actually bought stuff from dofantasy a while back and my cc info was stolen and I had to cancel the card.
I see they take btc these days but I'm hodling