• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Does this website sell you data?

BigBlob69

May 4, 2022
I don't know who runs this website, but there are significant expenses involved in paying for hosting, maintaining servers etc. Normally websites like this make their money by both displaying adverts and selling your usage data to advertisers. The ads on the site are obvious, but what I don't know is whether your usage data is sold. There is no privacy policy prompt when opening the website, so I'm leaning towards your data not being sold, but I'd like to know for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Sneed's

BigBlob69

May 4, 2022
...so that's a yes.....
..i fuckin knew it....
...they know everything i fap to......and how i fap now.....
Yeah I was a little concerned that they log everything you do on this website, including every page you visit etc. Supposedly it's standard policy, but I don't see why they couldn't anonymise those statistics by aggregating them.

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Yeah I was a little concerned that they log everything you do on this website, including every page you visit etc. Supposedly it's standard policy, but I don't see why they couldn't anonymise those statistics by aggregating them.
If I'm remembering right, Sam mentioned that they use google analytics, which nearly every ad-block extension/browser blocks. Don't quote me on that, though. You'd have to ask staff.

Reactions: BigBlob69

BigBlob69

May 4, 2022
If I'm remembering right, Sam mentioned that they use google analytics, which nearly every ad-block extension/browser blocks. Don't quote me on that, though. You'd have to ask staff.
Why would they need to use that unless they are selling data? This website doesn't have any targeted advertisements so it should be unnecessary.

yilkin

dl.rpdl.net
Donor
Feb 23, 2023
Why would they need to use that unless they are selling data? This website doesn't have any targeted advertisements so it should be unnecessary.
I'm guessing tracking for advertisers to know if users click on the ads, to see if they're wasting their money here, and see what resonates with users and what doesn't.

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
It's not used just for advertisements, it's also useful to show what features people are using, what pages they're viewing. It would be a very quick way to see if something is popular or not. There could be a myriad of uses beyond advertisements.

Also, I should mention, google analytics doesn't necessarily track individual users. It could just be tracking aggregate data. That's a question for Sam, though.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
We do not sell any personal data.

The only data we collect is the email address you used to register, and your IP address, the latter we purge every 30 days.
We don't use third party cookies.
Google analytics doesn't log IP addresses anymore.
We do not have any control over ads and their cookies/logging, if you are concerned about this, use an adblocker, we don't force you to disable them.