VN - Others - Completed - Divi Dead [Final] [C's Ware]

1. 3.00 star(s)

-Nothing-

Objectively
    Story
    Pretty much complicated. You play as a schoolboy, who is not all right with his head, due to his unusually difficult past, which he recalls piece by piece throughout the plot.
    He was transferred to, what would seem, the most ordinary private school, but in reality everything is not as simple, even he himself. Find out the truth.

Gameplay
    Is very time wasting. Click on all places on the map, then on all places in the building, to hopefully get needed trigger, to do all over again to get another, and another one, and another one...
    Graphics and sounds
    Are making fine but not very atmosphere of a strange school.
    Problems and bugs
    1) There is no option to rewind text, so you might be in a bad position, if accidentally clicked couple of times when not needed.
    Subjectively
    Story
    Didn't actually like the story, because expecting for more strange or horror things. Maybe it's my fault. Yet the game feels very balanced with being realistic and "supernatural".
    Problems and bugs
    1) To make progress you really need to waste time on blindly finding triggers.
    2) Judging by walkthrough, you even might trigger story changing events, without even knowing it. It's... frustrating...
    When you, once again, in the process of blindly finding events choose o
    ne room in front of the one that you will later explore, but it's too late, the event that changes the ending has already been selected. And there is no other way that to countlessly find out about it by yourself, or to know it with walkthough. Bull freaking shit.
    OVERALL
    Not so bad game, but surely might disappoint a veteran gamer
  2. 5.00 star(s)

vir_cotto

It was one of the first games of an adult genre that I played. While I liked all the classics I played prior to DD - like True Love, Season of Sakura, Paradise Heights 1 and 2, Three Sister's Story., Nocturnal Illusion -Divi Dead was something different. Ominous intro, atmosphere, wtf-scenes... Not to mention, I played that in the time where walkthroughs weren't so common - and you need WT for DD, trust me. At least if you want to see all the endings.

If you feel like you didn't understand the story, don't worry - that's a common feeling after the first playthrough. You'll like DD more and more with every next one. And sound... One of the best soundtrack that will haunt you for years to come.

Every year, I check different sites to see if there is Divi Dead 2 or at least something similar. No such luck. But, then again, masterpiece doesn't need a sequel.
  3. 4.00 star(s)

Eleum Loyce

Recently completed this game after about 7 hours of playtime. I didn't unlock all of the scenes and CG but I feel like I've played enough of it to have a decent opinion.

The biggest problem with this VN is the way progression is handled. The majority of the game is spent going from building to building on or around the school campus, looking for new dialogue to pop up. At first, this does add a sense of immersion -- i.e. a feeling of actually walking around and exploring the school yourself instead of just clicking through a story -- but after the 15th time searching through the cafeteria, gym, all floors of the main building, the boy's dorm, the girl's dorm, the main field, etc. and still not finding new dialogue to progress the plot... it becomes difficult to stay interested. It's not a huge issue since the game is usually pretty good at hinting where you need to go next, but it did frustrate me to the point of having to take a break from playing it.

The story itself is fairly unique but has some twists that didn't really make sense to me, despite the fact that I didn't skip very many dialogue scenes (very rare for me to actually read a visual novel, honestly). And speaking of twists, there seemed to be a lot of them. Even up to the very end, the plot kind of kept going all over the place -- such as people changing identities, motives changing, entire character background stories being flipped around. As a result, it ends up being difficult to follow and requires a second or maybe third play-through to really grasp all of the plot's nuances.

I played mostly for the (in my opinion) stellar artwork and because I was in the mood for a gore/horror VN. The sex scenes are varied and plentiful, though most of them seem to be there just for the sake of sex. That's fine, but I think the story would have greatly benefited if the sex had more of an impact on plot progression. The gore does a much better job of having a purpose, though it still feels like pointless violence at times. Also personally I would have liked to see more gore/violence scenes, there are only a handful compared to the amount of sex/miscellaneous CGs.

Overall 4/5 and absolutely worth playing. This game is proof that VNs were great even in the 90s.