• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Dissonance [v0.10 P1 Public] [L_Elyot]

4.30 star(s) 24 Votes

L_Elyot

Dissonance Dev
Game Developer
Dec 2, 2022
Is there animated scene in the game?
Nah, and there probably won't be. At best it'd just be the standard koikatsu animations everyone uses unless I can get someone to help me out with them since learning it myself would probably lead to shoddy and stiff animations that are rife with clipping.

I really like this game but it just feels like the progress is so slow... then again im spoiled by the constant Lessons in love big updates
University has kept me busy, but hopefully I'll be able to get more stuff out in a better time frame in the coming months. As for the pacing of the story itself, I do also want that to pick up as well.

Saying it twice is appreciated, lol.

This game continues to be a chore, the underlying story is solid and has me hooked but all the crap on top continues to grate, so much repetition and double/triple/quadruple checking everyone is on the same page. People don't talk in real life like they do in this game, a bunch of teenage girls don't have a sleep over where they all sit around calmly and speak prim and proper to each other. Chiyo continues to be the only interesting LI and even she only really stands out cause everyone else is so dull, what few twinkles of hidden gems to be seen are buried in piles of gravel and dirt.

Honestly, at this point i think i might be done... i've given this game more than enough time for it to have found its legs and really show its shine and despite my interest... the dry fluff chokes it right out and i'm never excited when i see it in the latest updates section... gonna sit on it a few days and see how i feel but this is probably it for me.
Yeah, I'd say that casual conversation is probably one of the hardest things for me to write by far. Well, that and conversations with a bigger groups of people, so that sleepover was just bound to feel off in some ways. In regards to the LIs, some definitely have more depth and are more thought out than others, and the general pacing of the story so far understandably makes most of them feel hollow.

I will be honest with you, the introduction of supernatural garbage is what sealed the deal for me. You had a good basis for an exploration of a person's "personhood" of his memories and interactions with the now completely new world. Instead, the author went "here, have some random magic trash", which for some reason plagues this type of games.
Considering how big LiL is, I think the "supernatural garbage" is just a staple of the koi vn genre here at this point (the supernatural garbage was what got me stop and actually read LiL in any case). I personally enjoy it, and if I was gonna write a VN without having experienced LiL (while also having an art team so I wouldn't be limited to koikatsu) I'd probably end up writing a fantasy story anyways.

In any case, Dissonance definitely isn't perfect and likely won't ever be since I need it to function as a sacrificial lamb for all of my growing pains as a writer. If I were starting a VN now with all that I know, there are tons of things I'd do differently, but as it stands, I've got to see this through to the end. Hopefully by the end of it, Dissonance won't be too bland or too derivative of its inspirations — and maybe... just maybe... we'll have fucked someone other than Chiyo lol.

Feel free to ask anything you wanna ask about it! I just won't give outright spoilers.

Last edited:

kenny

Aug 5, 2016
See it through to the end? m8, you have been working on this for two years and BARELY out of the prologue. Maybe by 2030 we might see it half done, as unlikely as it is due to how horrendously slow the progress in the plot is.

• Angry
Reactions: AhrimanH

L_Elyot

Dissonance Dev
Game Developer
Dec 2, 2022
See it through to the end? m8, you have been working on this for two years and BARELY out of the prologue. Maybe by 2030 we might see it half done, as unlikely as it is due to how horrendously slow the progress in the plot is.
While that sentiment is fair, going by event and update count, roughly half of the game right now is the prologue. Not to mention that there were 2 periods of time where I had to shelf development to work on IRL stuff which otherwise would have us well into chapter 2 already. Though, that's just an excuse and doesn't matter in the long run. In any case, the story won't be as long as something like LiL is planning to be, and I'll only really have 3 main chapters and we're already halfway through chapter 1. In terms of pacing, I can really only say that I want it to pick up like I said above, but I can't haphazardly force it to without messing other things up in the process. But hey, maybe I can and am just being too cautious about it?

EddyB50

Dec 9, 2022
In terms of pacing, I can really only say that I want it to pick up like I said above, but I can't haphazardly force it to without messing other things up in the process. But hey, maybe I can and am just being too cautious about it?
Just to give some balance to the criticisms, reason why Dissonance is my favorite game from this genre is overall pace being much slower compared to the others, because events feel like they actually build up rather than delivering big thing after big thing. I do agree with some of criticisms of overt verbosity that feels unnecessary at some points, but overall pacing is one of this game's selling points for me.

kenny

Aug 5, 2016
I appreciate how readily you take criticism, L_Elyot, and how you also recognize you're still growing as a writer.
It's almost a bit of a shame you have to live under the shadow of LiL because you'll always end up with comparisons drawn between the games, regardless of when they're fair or unfair comparisons
No shame in something that was 100% self inflicted. Literally, in his words, he decided to be derivative. Guess it's easier to get a following copying something already popular, the base already exists.

Just to give some balance to the criticisms, reason why Dissonance is my favorite game from this genre is overall pace being much slower compared to the others, because events feel like they actually build up rather than delivering big thing after big thing. I do agree with some of criticisms of overt verbosity that feels unnecessary at some points, but overall pacing is one of this game's selling points for me.
Every event can be cut in half in length and provide the same information. Good amount of events have no point. Reading the school festival was like pulling teeth. There is no payoff to all the build ups.
I have truly no idea how you can enjoy this pacing.
The only part of that was still bringing some kind of enjoyment were the back and forths with whatever the name of the hostile bitch was, but even that was taken away and the MC got painted as the one in the wrong.

Maybe the author should have played the fire scion instead of lil, maybe he would have learned how pace a story to have plot,levity and sex without overstaying any of those.

Reactions: Lerd0

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Updated Android port. Nothing too fancy but let me know if you have any issues.

Version: 0.10 P1

Appreciate my porting? Leave a Tip! You're supporting my efforts, paying for storage, and encouraging more ports!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OR or even MEGA

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This unofficial port/version is not released by the developer, download at your own risk.

PLEASE don't reply, or @ me, or DM me for updates. I always update my ports, YES I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE UPDATE.

PIXELDRAIN
MEGA

Size 629 MB

PLEASE don't reply, or @ me, or DM me for updates. I always update my ports, YES I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE UPDATE.

Updates are faster on .
Updated my android port.

EddyB50

Dec 9, 2022
Every event can be cut in half in length and provide the same information. Good amount of events have no point. Reading the school festival was like pulling teeth. There is no payoff to all the build ups.
I have truly no idea how you can enjoy this pacing.
Might just have to agree to disagree on this one. Maybe I have uncommon preferences, but I like drawn out dialogue. After last update I think it might be almost tantalizing tone to it that keeps me drawn in. I also prefer that h scenes are kept relatively sparse, because it adds to believability of interactions and characters' personalities.

The only part of that was still bringing some kind of enjoyment were the back and forths with whatever the name of the hostile bitch was, but even that was taken away and the MC got painted as the one in the wrong.
Him being "painted" to be in wrong doesn't feel like a downside to me. If anything Suzu is most sensible "tsundere" character I've seen written in a long time. Her motivations are, again, believable; it feels like she has understandable/mature reasons to be way she is (unlike most tsundere characters that just behave like psychopaths and have overplayed sob stories as their motivations at best), even if we don't get full picture yet.

kenny

Aug 5, 2016
I also prefer that h scenes are kept relatively sparse
There is sparse and then there is whatever is happening here

Her motivations are, again, believable; it feels like she has understandable/mature reasons to be way she is even if we don't get full picture yet.
How can she be understandable if you don't have the full picture? You are basing your "understanding" on half information. And no, acting like an absolute cunt to a person that completely lost his memories and has no idea about any event or relation to people is neither "believable" nor relatable nor understandable. It's just being a cunt

• Angry
Reactions: AhrimanH

JelF547

Mar 15, 2023
I hope their "things before amnesia" talk ends up with Niwa sitting on his face.
Niwa is boring :( I have to admit that event with talk was extremely good tho. If it would be with anybody else instead of Niwa, I'd like it to the bones

L_Elyot

Dissonance Dev
Game Developer
Dec 2, 2022
Yoyo! Dissonance 0.10P2 is out for supporters on SubscribeStar! Public coming on the 25th!
Consider supporting for early access and so I can increase the rate at which I can develop!
(And if you do, remember to join the Discord and to link your SS for access to all of the gravure sets and requests so far!)

dissocover0.10p2.png

4.30 star(s) 24 Votes