Disabling RPG scripts?

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
Due to a faulty gpu I sometimes run into games that run at very low framerates. Usually the cause is a script. Because the issue is my gpu I can't just ask them to cater to me and me alone since I am likely the only person who has the issue, so is there a way to modify or edit games and disable the troublesome script myself, and how do I do this for the different RPG engines like MV or Wolf?

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
Are you 100% sure the issue is with your GPU and not with the CPU? Or your hard drive? Because some RPG Maker games can make even beefy machines stutter. Case in point: I've had a fair share of VX Ace games drop the frames to around 20 on my machine, which sports an i7 and a GTX1070. The reason was shit optimization, the maps had a fuckload of events without proper "PASS/IGNORE IF" flags or whatever.

With MV, I'm playing Karryn's Prison and combat has several stutters. The dev's solution: "install the game on a SSD". Either the dev can't be bothered to join several files together and use as sprites (if the images are all large, I can understand this being a problem, imagine 300mb .png), or the engine is at a fault for loading a file and immediately unloading it from memory once it's not longer being shown.

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
With RPG MV games, the script files are usually loose .js files located in the www/js folder.
You can modify those directly and the game will load & use them.

For other engines the approach varies. I forget how wolf works of the top of my head but for one of the older ones (VX Ace I think), you could unpack the game archive and then open the project in RPG Maker directly from which you can edit scripts.

In general, RPG Maker games don't get "compiled" much so you can usually unpack & modify them.

That said, finding the right script to "disable" sounds tricky. It's not always obvious which file is responsible for a certain effect and usually you don't want to completely remove something, just make it less frequent or use a more effective method, which is a harder fix than just disabling it outright.

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
Are you 100% sure the issue is with your GPU and not with the CPU? Or your hard drive?
More than 100%, I spent ages testing and troubleshooting my hardware and eventually discovered my gpu was on it's way out.

With RPG MV games, the script files are usually loose .js files located in the www/js folder.
You can modify those directly and the game will load & use them.

For other engines the approach varies. I forget how wolf works of the top of my head but for one of the older ones (VX Ace I think), you could unpack the game archive and then open the project in RPG Maker directly from which you can edit scripts.

In general, RPG Maker games don't get "compiled" much so you can usually unpack & modify them.

That said, finding the right script to "disable" sounds tricky. It's not always obvious which file is responsible for a certain effect and usually you don't want to completely remove something, just make it less frequent or use a more effective method, which is a harder fix than just disabling it outright.
Do I need to have RPG Maker myself to edit those files or can I still do it with another program like Notepad++? One script type that always causes me grief is one that affects the game's lighting mechanics, think dark areas and torches/lamps flicker sort of effects.

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
Do I need to have RPG Maker myself to edit those files or can I still do it with another program like Notepad++? One script type that always causes me grief is one that affects the game's lighting mechanics, think dark areas and torches/lamps flicker sort of effects.
For VX Ace you probably need RPG Maker. MV has javascript files you can edit directly in Notepad. I forget what Wolf uses, might be javascript files as well.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
If you'r 100% sure the gpu is dying why don't you just use your cpu instead?

The integrated graphics might offer more reliable performance in simple games like rpgm.

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
If you'r 100% sure the gpu is dying why don't you just use your cpu instead?

The integrated graphics might offer more reliable performance in simple games like rpgm.
I do use that sometimes, but it is very outdated so even then I can still have issue.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I do use that sometimes, but it is very outdated so even then I can still have issue.
Well if using just the cpu also gives you issues then most likely that is the issue. Many game specially rpgm games are very cpu heavy.

So you might need to change that if you expect to play certain games with it.

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
Well if using just the cpu also gives you issues then most likely that is the issue. Many game specially rpgm games are very cpu heavy.

So you might need to change that if you expect to play certain games with it.
Thing is though, my cpu usage barely budges, so it's moreso my integrated graphics thats outdated. When my gpu worked properly, I had zero issues running any game, even games that would cause others issue.

I am working towards getting a new pc eventually though.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Meaning Less

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
I think I found the scripts that are causing my issue, what is the best way to disable all or part of the script without breaking everything? Once I know how I'll try editing them until it works through trial and error.

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
Well I just want to try disabling a light flickering effect first, and not only can I not fully understand code, but these scripts mostly aren't in English either, so it's more I've narrowed the scripts down to a few possibilities.

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
I mean, it really depends on the code.
First you can see if there's a variable or setting to disable whatever's causing the issue.
If that's not an option, see if there's a function you can disable by just having it return immediately. ie. Maybe there is a "doFlicker" function you can mod so it does nothing.
Or you can see whether deleting/commenting-out certain lines of code work.
Finally, you can try modifying the code is some more intelligent way, but that generally requires you to understand the codebase fairly well.