• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Difference between VN Ren'py and Ren'py ?

registred75

Jun 29, 2020
Hi, I'm new here.
My question is pretty much in the title : what's the difference between a VN Ren'py game and a Ren'py game (without VN). Also can you point me to a page where acronyms and vocabulary about lewdgames are explained ?
Thanks !

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Well, the difference is that one is a Visual Novel, and the other aren't. It's just a matter of game mechanism, and probably also a little matter of the uploader's taste (which isn't a criticism, it's sometimes difficult to make the difference between a VN and a none VN).

Is a game with a free roaming mechanism not a VN when there's always just on place to be at a given time ? Technically yes, but isn't it, in fact, just a VN with a none classical mechanism for moving from scene to scene ?
Is a game stopping to be a VN when the player can take decision that will change the story ? Technically yes, but isn't it just a none kinetic Visual Novel ? I mean, how many choice are needed for it to stop being a VN that use the modern technology to offer a little more variety ?
Is a game stopping to be a VN because there's grinding ? Or is it just a VN where the author copy/paste the same scene many time, in order to have a story as long as a book, in place of a short novella ?
And is a game with mini-game a VN that offer some distraction time to time, or is it effectively a none VN game ? I mean, is a book stopping to be a story because there's a crossword or sudoku between each chapter, or is it still a story, but with a little something more ?

The difference between a VN and a none VN is in the level of interaction. It's sometimes obvious, when it's a platform game by example, and it's sometimes way more difficult to tell if it should or not be classified as "Visual Novel". But in the end, what matter is the pleasure you take will playing it, not the genre of the game.