RPGM Unreal Engine Onhold [DEVELOPEMENT] "Ashley Naked Mission" (ENF / HUMILIATION ) (2D ART )

Penitensary

May 10, 2020
People always have a lot of opinions and absolutely can't wait when you do projects publicly on the interwebs. "Sex, in my ENF? Absolutely unplayable!", "Isn't it done soon~~?", "Oh no,the one dev working on this project has been taking a half year break, instead of sacrificing their everything for my entertainment, the game must be abandoned!".

It's not wrong to take your time, there's no reason to burn yourself out for people who will install and play your game for an hour, and then move on without a second thought.

Dwarf Fortress has been in development since 2002, over twenty years, and they just came with a Steam release which was labelled "coming soon!" With a time estimate of "time is relative" for about two years. And while it probably lost a lot of players on the way, it still has an active playerbase who absolutely love the game. Given, it did provide regular builds, but that's not so important.

Take your time, make the game as YOU want, and see the suggestions from the forums as.... suggestions.

The situation might change if you want to strike it rich with this game, or if you have an active Patreon where you take absurd amounts of money, but as a passion project? Take your time, we'll be here.
This.

There will always both be people that like what you add to the game and those that hate those exact same things. The only way to end up with something completely unplayable is try and listen to everyone at once.

Yes, there will be people that dislike your game. Yes, some features will disappoint people reading this thread in some form or another. No, there is no magic bullet where you can please absolutely everyone, and trying to will only get you stressed out and burned out as striking a balance between all those things keeps becoming harder.

Just stop listening to others and make the game you want to make. Then try to condense what you made into a single sentence. That will be your baseline, and from there you can add more stuff as long as it does not alter the baseline supporting everything else. Listening to people commenting on your game is great and all, but if you're not filtering out the stuff that does not help the game's premise then soon you'll be on a one-way train ticket to Feature Creep Town.

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
Hey, I'm still alive, and the game's still on.

It's true that over the last few months, I've been taking some time off this project, I could have released some demos but each time the result didn't suit me, and I ended up changing or even deleting things that had taken me weeks to do.

What took me an enormous amount of time was the development of the giant map on RPG maker, essentially, every time I played it I had the impression that my game was messed up and tasteless, that the "open world" I'd created was weird and lame... And for the moment, I'm only talking about the map, not even about the countless hours spent fixing bugs or some "custom" plugins that I had to learn and develop (which meant learning javascript from scratch and the basics/methods of RPG maker). I really underestimated the amount of work it would take when I started this project back then.

Even when reading this thread, realizing that a lot of people weren't going to like certain scenes, twists in the story or even where the story could bring them, like thinking that this game would essentially only be an ENF game without any sex, so remove the sex parts, etc. (so potentially throwing away hundreds of lines of dialogue/story and even 2D art that take a huge amount of time to make, and thinking that maybe this is the better thing to do ? )

So after months of intense development & a lot of brainstorming, I started to burn out and gradually began to abandon the project, or at least devote less time to it than I had at the time.

It's become a project to which I've devoted so many hours, and so much passion, and which at the present time isn't satisfying. Combined with my studies, it's essentially a side project, and finding time for it gets harder and harder as time goes by.

I'm the first to be disappointed in this adventure.
There are so many things I'd have liked to change if I'd gone back in time, like using another, more advanced video game engine like Unity or Unreal Engine, like controlling a small 3D character with but still with 2D drawings, which would have enabled me to create more complex things, more complex and rewarding gameplay, than what RPG maker MV could have offered.

The problem now is that I'm stuck with the rpg maker mv engine because I've spent hundreds of thousands of hours on it now, and converting it is now impossible.

As for the story, I'd worked with someone here who'd helped me a lot, and as for the development of some of the art, it's coming along really well.

I'll try to get back into the project, and try to finish what I had to do. But as I said, I don't like to give dates, because it's too random and I have no idea myself.

Thanks for your support as taking news on the game and for your patience
I have exactly the same problem, I also started with my project but I was never happy with it. I've started over countless off times with the same thoughts in my mind "it's not good enough", over and over again.

I'm also busy for so long and i'm still at the concept stage. I've made some huge improvements, but for my opinion still not enough.

Last edited:

potatosauce

Feb 26, 2021
Hey, I'm still alive, and the game's still on.

It's true that over the last few months, I've been taking some time off this project, I could have released some demos but each time the result didn't suit me, and I ended up changing or even deleting things that had taken me weeks to do.

What took me an enormous amount of time was the development of the giant map on RPG maker, essentially, every time I played it I had the impression that my game was messed up and tasteless, that the "open world" I'd created was weird and lame... And for the moment, I'm only talking about the map, not even about the countless hours spent fixing bugs or some "custom" plugins that I had to learn and develop (which meant learning javascript from scratch and the basics/methods of RPG maker). I really underestimated the amount of work it would take when I started this project back then.

Even when reading this thread, realizing that a lot of people weren't going to like certain scenes, twists in the story or even where the story could bring them, like thinking that this game would essentially only be an ENF game without any sex, so remove the sex parts, etc. (so potentially throwing away hundreds of lines of dialogue/story and even 2D art that take a huge amount of time to make, and thinking that maybe this is the better thing to do ? )

So after months of intense development & a lot of brainstorming, I started to burn out and gradually began to abandon the project, or at least devote less time to it than I had at the time.

It's become a project to which I've devoted so many hours, and so much passion, and which at the present time isn't satisfying. Combined with my studies, it's essentially a side project, and finding time for it gets harder and harder as time goes by.

I'm the first to be disappointed in this adventure.
There are so many things I'd have liked to change if I'd gone back in time, like using another, more advanced video game engine like Unity or Unreal Engine, like controlling a small 3D character with but still with 2D drawings, which would have enabled me to create more complex things, more complex and rewarding gameplay, than what RPG maker MV could have offered.

The problem now is that I'm stuck with the rpg maker mv engine because I've spent hundreds of thousands of hours on it now, and converting it is now impossible.

As for the story, I'd worked with someone here who'd helped me a lot, and as for the development of some of the art, it's coming along really well.

I'll try to get back into the project, and try to finish what I had to do. But as I said, I don't like to give dates, because it's too random and I have no idea myself.

Thanks for your support as taking news on the game and for your patience
I think you've become overbearing on yourself. The constant thoughts of "it's not good enough" or "people might not like it" are going to keep you in an endless cycle and destroy your mental. It is a natural thing and happens to everything and everyone that there will be things that are liked and disliked, people who will outright hate it and people who will enjoy it. But it's within these differences that inspiration can form.

If you released a demo that showcases what the game will be about you can get the player feedback from multiple different people/sources/minds. They could give you more suggestions and ideas maybe some of them will really resonate with you or maybe something will help an idea that you had before but couldn't quite make up your mind about. And the player feedback could also tell you what the majority would like to see worked on first and you can ask for this feedback.

"What would you guys like to see the most?" "What do you think could help the map feel more alive or immersive?" "Do you guys feel that there should be more sex included, maybe less?" "Should it be more optional?"

But if releasing a demo in the near future isn't viable, then perhaps you could showcase something that you're working on. The map for example. Show us what you've got, maybe you actually have something really decent and your negative thoughts are feeding into some insecurity that you may have. Whatever you choose I'm sure that there are plenty of people (myself included) who will be willing to help you continue your project.

First you have to get out of that repetitive, self-destructive creative cycle. I know it's hard, but I know you can do it.

shadee1

Apr 10, 2018
And I can't probably add much new. But you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. After all what matters is you enjoy making this game, if people like it, cool. If not also cool. What should matter is you enjoyed making it, that you had fun. That you can look back and say yeah that was a good time. Sure I goofed but I learned along the way.

Perfection is not something you should stress for. You can try your best and that's enough.

And hell, if people wanna be upset about the game not being what they want it to be. Well then they should make their own game.

I understand burnout a lot XD. It's a painful cycle, and the thing I learned is. You shouldn't compare yourself to anyone else. Be yourself as cliche as that is, it's the dang truth. You don't need to be the best or any other metric for success. Just do what makes ya happy.

daedalus25

Nov 30, 2019
Like the others said, don't try to please everyone. That'll never happen. Just make the game YOU want to make.

And as far as I know, there was only ONE person who wanted an ENF game with no sex. There's always going to be that one person who wants something different. Remember how many people were (and still are) super excited about this game based on what you've done so far.

I second (or third or fourth) the opinion that you should work towards releasing a playable demo. Then you can get honest feedback to help streamline some things and maybe even give you ideas to continue. There are two games here I'm currently supporting on Patreon that have been in very slow development, with only maybe one small scene being added every month or two. But it's always exciting when new stuff comes out, and it gives us a chance to help with bugs and vote on what to work on next. You might consider something along those lines.

I'm glad you haven't given up on this. That would truly be unfortunately to see something with this much potential vanish.

Mike24667

Sep 8, 2020
Why does every potential creator goes mentally ill? I understand that but why? Usually you should just ignore comments that may seem hurtful. Don't let criticism unmotivated you instead let it encourage you to improve. Some developers are coming up excuses to abandon the game and some are mentally weak(which is fine but not constantly). I'm worried that we won't get any 3d open world nsfw for android platform. So far 2 gotten abandoned. And the other 2 is somewhat concerning but is able to give us a update. Don't sweat it. Stay strong. Take the time to rethink, "Should I continue or abandon the game?". We'll understand.

Catnatic

Nov 25, 2021
How is the developer mentally ill? That would imply they've either gone insane or depressed.
All I'm getting from their last post is that they're just struggling with game development.

Penitensary

May 10, 2020
Pretty much.

By my reading of it, cornxxx is trying to find a balance in terms of the amount of time they have available to invest in the project, which is generally a good thing to figure out before they start putting out public builds and building a Patreon page around it.

Reactions: Onysko

BodaC

Jun 30, 2022
Is there a current release we can check out or is it cancelled completely or something. I looked through all the replies and didn't find anything.

Gameville421

Apr 12, 2021
I'm still looking forward to this game. Don't worry too much about everyone's opinions Dev. Your concerns are understandable but you might be overthinking things. Of course some people may not like your game no matter how much effort and time you put into it. Look at Cyberpunk for example. Loads of people say it's the best game ever made, amd many other people say it's boring and lifeless. It's impossible to appease everyone so make whatever you would want to play and don't worry too much about complainers.

Reactions: shadee1 and Laelys

Penitensary

May 10, 2020
I'm still looking forward to this game. Don't worry too much about everyone's opinions Dev. Your concerns are understandable but you might be overthinking things. Of course some people may not like your game no matter how much effort and time you put into it. Look at Cyberpunk for example. Loads of people say it's the best game ever made, amd many other people say it's boring and lifeless. It's impossible to appease everyone so make whatever you would want to play and don't worry too much about complainers.
Speaking of Cyberpunk, it too launched in a buggy state before getting patched up into something playable. Same with No Man's Sky.

So don't worry too much about wanting to put out the most perfect feature-complete product as a demo. That will only end up with more uncertainty and taking it personally when someone does report a bug. Playing incomplete versions is a normal thing here, we've danced that dance before and i'm fairly certain everyone checking out a thread with "Development" in the title knows what they're getting into.

At least it's not MTL :p

DarkRay1234

Jun 6, 2023
Hi. I think your project is very nice and I am looking forward to that. Whatever you add or remove it's upto you and I am definitely gonna try this game, when it's released. Good luck.

Reactions: cornxxx

Pickedtundra04

Mar 25, 2022
2 years of development and the game isn't even out yet oh well happy new year to anyone who are still waiting for this game to come out

cornxxx

Aug 11, 2019
Hello everyone, and Happy New Year! This year has been somewhat disappointing, unfortunately, as no new releases have been made. I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to all who have continued to follow this topic over the months to check in on the game's progress. Despite the setbacks, rest assured the game is progressing well. I've recently completed a few "bad" endings for Ashle, and here's a little sneak peek:

As I mentioned last year, balancing my studies makes it incredibly challenging to find time for game development. That's why I decided to not have an active Patreon and haven't released a playable demo also for this. I understand my limits in juggling both.

However, after a slight burnout, I've embarked on a quest for discovery and experimentation by creating a game using Unreal Engine 5. I've spent about a month and a half learning the basics and have enjoyed putting together a small project, currently featuring just a tutorial with a few quick cinematics. As a beginner in 3D, not everything is perfect, but I've enjoyed the process.

For those interested in testing my project, I'm looking for game testers (compensated with a $10 gift card/cryptocurrency - it's not much, but I'm looking for honest feedback and suggestions for additions or improvements). While the Unreal Engine game might not be as polished as one might hope, I'm confident that with serious dedication, it can be something great. There's significant potential for an open-world 3D game with quests in schools, streets, etc., and an exhibitionism quest. The story involves another girl, but Emma from the two games is part of this new venture, offering a different yet familiar experience.

If you're interested in testing, here's the link : https://f95zone.to/threads/seeking-for-playtester-for-expirimental-game.187447/