• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

LinkBox88

Feb 22, 2020
I really wanted to like this one but I just can't. It leans too far into my pet peeve of having an MC that doesn't insist on knowing what's going on.

How can you just hang out with a bunch of people sharing a secret (a secret about YOU!) and not insist that they tell you what the fuck is going on. How can you not just resent people that manipulated, abandonned and deceived you without knowing why they did it?

I understand how useful it is for narrative purposes to slow play information reveals but you have to find a way to do it where I'm not calling bullshit on the way characters react to the restriction of information being given to them.

If it was just this game, it wouldn't feel so tired but it feels like every game with intrigue is like this these days and I just can't suspend disbelief. It's simply frustrating. Imagine yourself in real life where you're made aware your friends and family know each other and know a whole backstory about you that you aren't privy to. Wouldn't getting to the bottom of that be your number 1 priority? Would you be able to trust or enjoy the company of any of them until you knew what was going on? Wouldn't people that want you to like them freely offer you an explanation that allows you to understand them and their actions better?

You had me at the ejaculating blood from a bug-covered penis but lost me by not rising above the same fucking shallow mystery trope we're being inundated with.

Reactions: Scruffles DEV

Scruffles DEV

Fuckass
Game Developer
Oct 3, 2022
I really wanted to like this one but I just can't. It leans too far into my pet peeve of having an MC that doesn't insist on knowing what's going on.

How can you just hang out with a bunch of people sharing a secret (a secret about YOU!) and not insist that they tell you what the fuck is going on. How can you not just resent people that manipulated, abandonned and deceived you without knowing why they did it?

I understand how useful it is for narrative purposes to slow play information reveals but you have to find a way to do it where I'm not calling bullshit on the way characters react to the restriction of information being given to them.

If it was just this game, it wouldn't feel so tired but it feels like every game with intrigue is like this these days and I just can't suspend disbelief. It's simply frustrating. Imagine yourself in real life where you're made aware your friends and family know each other and know a whole backstory about you that you aren't privy to. Wouldn't getting to the bottom of that be your number 1 priority? Would you be able to trust or enjoy the company of any of them until you knew what was going on? Wouldn't people that want you to like them freely offer you an explanation that allows you to understand them and their actions better?

You had me at the ejaculating blood from a bug-covered penis but lost me by not rising above the same fucking shallow mystery trope we're being inundated with.
Daine certainly is a protagonist that's plagued with severe mental health issues, actively runs from his problems, and tries to pretend they don't exist because life's easier that way.

Chapter 1 is definitely a slow burn. I wrote it like that on purpose, but I can confirm that there's subtle character progression going on as Chapter 1 progresses lol.

3.60 star(s) 16 Votes