Ren'Py Delete what lines I've already read

Oct 7, 2017
Hi, sorry if this question has been answered before, did a few minutes of searching but found nothing that worked for me.

How do you delete what lines you've already read in a renpy game?
1662047415715.png
I always use the skip feature to skip through text I've already read but stop at text I have not yet encountered.
My problem is, however, that I played this game in the past already and I want to reset what the game considers as read and unread since I can't remember most of the game's content anymore.
I tried:
Deleting the saves folder unter game_name/game
Deleting its folder under Roaming/Renpy

But while I succeeded in deleting the saves, all text still is recognised as already read.

Reactions: aya099

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
You need to remove not save files, but 'persistent' file. Saves are fine to stay for that. It also stores your game settings, gallery unlocks for some games.

Oct 7, 2017
You need to remove not save files, but 'persistent' file. Saves are fine to stay for that. It also stores your game settings, gallery unlocks for some games.
When googling that it leads me back to

C:\Users\XXXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\GAMENAME

from where I already deleted the folder with the name of the game - am I missing something?

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
When googling that it leads me back to

C:\Users\XXXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\RenPy\GAMENAME

from where I already deleted the folder with the name of the game - am I missing something?
And it still skips text? Just in case, you need to disable 'unseen text' option for it to not skip unread.
Or you haven't removed 'persistent' in Roaming folder, game folders there can sometimes be oddly named by devs. Or the game has that option fucked up and it always skips text, seen it a few times.

Oct 7, 2017
And it still skips text? Just in case, you need to disable 'unseen text' option for it to not skip unread.
Or you haven't removed 'persistent' in Roaming folder, game folders there can sometimes be oddly named by devs. Or the game has that option fucked up and it always skips text, seen it a few times.
Deleting both the entire content of the save folder and the roaming/renpy directory did it for me, seems if you only delete one of them and start the game it copies it to the other place.
So if you don't delete both before starting it infinitely replaces the missing one - which was my problem XD

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
You need to remove not save files, but 'persistent' file.
Yes, but no. There's no need to delete the whole file when you can just reset the dictionary.

To OP:
Open the console SHIFT + o
Type persistent._seen_ever = {}
And it's done.

Edit: Fixed the typo in the tags.

Last edited: