VN - Ren'Py - Dead Forest [Demo + R18 DLC] [Games Manul]

1. 3.00 star(s)

huledyuu

[Disclaimer] This is a review for the full game.

If you ever wanted to play the bootleg version of "Lamento: Beyond the Void", here's your chance! JAST BLUE is struggling to bring the official translation of Lamento, so might as well!
    Seriously tho, this game doesn't even try to hide the fact its heavily borrowing ideas from aforementioned title: MC's backstory and curse, love interest's personalities and personal conflicts, plot in general are all too familiar. But I actually liked the whole cast, important side characters included.
    My biggest issue with the writing is pacing: character introductions go by too fast and routes are over before you know it. I wonder if the devs wanted to make a longer game but had to cut content out. It's a bit of shame since I found character dynamics well written and wanted to see more of them.
    Speaking of content, there are a few NSFW scenes here and there. They're all short, but written well. And MC is a switch!
    Another problem is English translation: while readable, it's noticeably awkward. After awhile I had to start over and read it in Russian instead. Imho it's the best way to experience it.
    Art's fine. Some CGs look meh, but I like character design and background art enough to let it slide.
    Music is fantastic, BGM is soothing and vocal songs(sung in Russian) are neat. SFX are fitting for the most part.
    UI can be glitchy if you decided to switch languages. Sometimes the game couldn't decide what languagfe it had to display.
    Overall, if you never heard of Lamento or waiting for official TL, Dead Forest can fill that void(heh). But otherwise I won't say it's a must play.