DAZ3D has failed me.

xDEEPx

Oct 7, 2017
So as the title says I used DAZ3D for a good week.. and its not for me.. Is their any other software that is easily usable to make a rn'py game.. also for whatever software you suggest where would one get the nude models? Thanks Happy fapping.

Possibly posted in wrong section sorry.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Is daz not satisfy you, no one does. You may try xnalara and honey select.

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Sorry, but if you can't even be bothered to spend more than a week to learn to use stuff like that, then it's not daz3d that isn't for you, but more like making games isn't for you.

No matter what you use if you actually want to make something good, you'll need a lot longer than one week to learn stuff like that.

xDEEPx

Oct 7, 2017
Sorry, but if you can't even be bothered to spend more than a week to learn to use stuff like that, then it's not daz3d that isn't for you, but more like making games isn't for you.

No matter what you use if you actually want to make something good, you'll need a lot longer than one week to learn stuff like that.
Very true but I had to ask out of frustration..

Jun 29, 2018
When I first got into Daz I thought I'd spend a week or two learning the software and then have it down. It didn't work that way. There's a lot of depth to this program and 3D work in general. You should be able to start getting good looking renders in a few weeks if you spend time working on the fundamentals though.

Looking back at my first renders is very cringy for me to do. Example below:

SampleRender.jpg

UGH!

If you have a background in photography or videography that knowledge of focal lengths, depth of field, and the various parts of getting a good exposure help speed the process up.

As you use the program more you also become more familiar with manipulating 3D objects in space, locating tools in the program, and getting more control over more complex issues like adjusting surfaces for the color and texture of items.

I started working with Daz Studio back in mid to late July so it hasn't been very long for me. I'm feeling much more comfortable but there's still so much for me to learn. I haven't even touched weight maps, bones, or animation yet. My renders have improved but I still have a lot of work left to do.

Surprised at Home.jpg

I agree Daz Studio isn't as polished a program as something like Photoshop but I don't think I've seen anything that works as well for creating images for these types of games.

If you are having a problem with something specific in Daz let us know, we may have some suggestions. I know when I first started I had tons of trouble with knowing things like - when to use "Smart Content" or the "Content Library". Why 2 areas for your content? Now I have adjusted my work style and just avoid Smart Content all together. The same for things like posing, modifying figures faces and bodies, adjusting expressions and poses.

Reactions: Mark17 and OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Mr Batsu has a good outlook on this.

Daz3D, like other tools, can be very intimidating at first. The thing to keep in mind is to NOT try to bite off everything at once.

If you are trying to build spectacular scenes right out of the box, yeah that's a VERY high bar. But if you just take some time and learn the basics (say clothing and posing figures, and working with render angles), and leave more complex things like detailed backgrounds for later, then it becomes much less intimidating.

If you are looking at doing a Renpy or RPGMaker style game, keep in mind that a lot of game designs simply render the characters without backgrounds, and then superimpose them on backgrounds inside the game. Hence, this reduces the workload (and render times) considerably, as then you just need to focus on posing and outfits, and once you've picked or set up suitable lighting for this approach, you generally don't have to worry about lighting as much.

As to backgounds for your game, I've seen stock photos used for backgrounds, and people accept this as OK. You can always delay working on your own ideas, and/or picking suitable assets for backgrounds until later. Also, HDRI backgrounds (see HDRIHaven.com) can kill two birds with one stone, providing you with interesting lighting as well as a pretty background. Relying on HDRIs exclusively for lighting may be considered lazy by some, but at least you can focus on working with characters, poses and clothing in the meantime, moving on to learning interesting lighting techniques later once you are more comfortable with Daz.

Here's an example from when I first started working with Daz, where I've simply superimposed the characters onto a stock photo background. I actually did some significant adjustments to the stock photo (adding the table that they are superimposed upon using Photoshop), but that's not important. This highlights the 'superimpose character over background image' technique used by Renpy, etc.

In this case, I did the superimposing of the characters over background in Photoshop, but this is essentially how it would look in Renpy as well (Characters as a separate .png, and the lab.jpg added as a background image). Minus my 'promo text' of course!

As I remember, I used the 'Fiery Genesis' lights on the characters for lighting, but for an early effort I still like how this turned out. Now that I'm a bit better at this Daz thing, I'd probably change the light source to the right of the characters from a reddish to slightly blueish tint though...

Footnote: Everything I used in this render is a 'free' asset, including the royalty free image in the background. It IS possible to go the 'Entirely Free' route with Daz, as long as you are willing to make do with the free stuff available around the web.

But at least they are lit and it's a starting point - It's OK to make mistakes and not sweat the small stuff while you are learning!

Anyways, back on topic:

Once you get a handle on the 'basics', then you can start playing around with more complex things like environments at your own pace.

So, in short, don't get discouraged. Just take your time to learn Daz in small bites. Watch the tutorials if those help you, and don't be afraid to google things you may not understand (just add Daz3D to your google search string).

Also, a few people here don't mind answering stupid questions, as shown in a number of different threads in this section, which can be helpful from time to time.

Reactions: xDEEPx and Mark17

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
There are other programs but Daz and Honey Select are the easiest to use.

I make mods for games like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age and Witcher. I use Blender for models but it took me a while to learn to use effectively. I know some people use that for their game models here.

I don't know if programs like Source Film Maker or Garry's Mod would be any good. I know they have a ton of nude models and sex poses/animations but I couldn't tell you how well they would go with Ren'py.

I think sticking with Daz will probably be your best option though.

Reactions: xDEEPx