Ren'Py DAZ3D - Can I release a game with pirated assets?

May 9, 2021
Hi everyone!

I have found that people are saying different things in different forums...
But how safe is it to release a game on Patreon or whatever when I have some assets that I haven't paid for?
How could anyone possibly know if I paid for an asset or not?

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2023
Unless your game is massively succesful, they might try to threaten you with a lawsuit to get you to purchase the assets. you wont have problem with that if your game is that succesful.

And if your game is just barely making money they wont even bother. They will just wasting money on lawyers and court fees if they do.

Ratrio

Aug 21, 2018
I could be wrong but I always thought it was fine to use pirated assets for a patreon game because you're not offcially selling the game, as people are paying to support you, not paying to buy the game. A loophole kinda situation.

letsgethappy

Dec 7, 2023
I could be wrong but I always thought it was fine to use pirated assets for a patreon game because you're not offcially selling the game, as people are paying to support you, not paying to buy the game. A loophole kinda situation.
I would say that it doesn't matter whether you sell the game or not. That´s not the point.
Since you haven't purchased a license, you can´t even use them for yourself.
So the only question is how likely it is that you will be asked to provide proof of the licenses.
And all I can say is: I have not a clue. But i think that would be very, very unlikely.
Unles you have massive patreons.

Apr 10, 2023
I would say that it doesn't matter whether you sell the game or not. That´s not the point.
Since you haven't purchased a license, you can´t even use them for yourself.
So the only question is how likely it is that you will be asked to provide proof of the licenses.
And all I can say is: I have not a clue. But i think that would be very, very unlikely.
Unles you have massive patreons.
^this. pirating is already illegal, selling the pirated stuffs are just extra charges if u got caught.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
As already pointed, the question is not the fact that you earn money, but the fact that you use the content.

I'm sure that you don't own a movie theater, nor operate a Netflix-like streaming site. What mean that you don't earn a single buck with pirated movies.
Does this mean that it suddenly became legal to pirate movies ? I'm pretty sure that the answer is "no" and isn't near to change into "yes", nor even into "maybe".

Jul 13, 2020
Yeah, I mean I'm not gonna make serious money.
1- %99 no one consider taking actions no matter how successful your game is.
2- If you are using different morphs, textures, and combining them it's even hard to claim something as their owns. ( high quality hair and cloth assets are another story though )
3- I can easily say at least %90 of adult devs who using DAZ pirating 7/24. They are most of the time whining about their pc while average adult game developer has +$5000 worthy assets