3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Thanks, sometimes I use the denoiser but I don't like the loss of detail it entails.
If you look at my renders on here, I use the following settings on most of my posts you see. If I have a lot of detail in an image, I will sometimes bump up the iterations, but for the most part, this turns out quite nicely with very little difference in quality. It certainly looks better than a grainy image.

These are the main areas I changed. I'll explain more below this...

Night_Hacker-Render_Settings.jpg

For "Filtering", I changed the "Pixel Filter Radius" to 1.00 rather than the default 1.50 as that leads to slightly sharper images without it looking too aliased near the edges. I set the "Post Denoiser Start Iteration" to 400, which is the number of iterations I usually render for. If you decide to do more, like say, 600 or 800 (which I will do for more complex scenes) than I change this to that number so that it only denoises on the LAST iteration and not during the whole render.

For the "Progressive Rendering" section, I set "Rendering Quality Enable" to "OFF" (it defaults to on) and I set the "Max Samples" to 400 (again, I sometimes change this to 600 or 800 depending on the complexity), which should be set to THE SAME number that you use in Filtering).

You can experiment with how many iterations YOU prefer as we're all different. You may want 1000. What I recommend is that you do a normal, full render without denoising, save it. Then do several renders with denoising with various levels of iterations and then put all the images in a folder so you can quickly switch between them and check out the difference so you can see if it is worth it and which one gives a nice quality in a respectable amount of time. I used to do only 100 or 200 iterations on my slow, limited memory GTX1050 card and posted them all the time in here and they were good enough.

The following render is just a headshot I did of my Sasha character I posted earlier. It was done using my standard settings I screen-shotted above. Actually, I have her loaded now and literally just took those screenshots from her settings. I think her quality looks great...

Sasha (G8F) - Headshot.png

Edit: Oh, and one more setting I used for this render, is I set "Saturation" in the "Tone Mapping" section to 1.50 so the colours are more vibrant. But that's unrelated to denoising.

Last edited:

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
Sexy and elegant, would be curious to see how she looked like before being on the sofa and before taking off the jacket (have a picture like that ?).
BTW, can you say what is the base character (if it is not a character you created from zero) ? I like her face - nope, nothing also against the rest, actually, very sexy the body with the jacket, reminds me of someone I crossed once at work many years ago.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
And just for fun, I saved the look on Sasha's face as an expression pose, so I can reuse it on any other characters. I tend to create all my own expressions and poses rather than premade ones and then save them to be reused. The character's icon for this one is a blonde girl's face as I use the same scene for all my expressions so the icons all look alike. I'll save an expression from the current character in a temp folder, then load up my expression scene with a camera that is zoomed in on my character's face only then render a 512x512 image which is a nice size when you point at it, it shows that size so you can get a better idea what you're getting.

Anyhow, this is the icon for that expression as well as a 7zip with the expression pose and icon for anyone that wants it. It looks best if you turn her head so she's looking at the camera with this one, but this is just the icon...

G8F_CuteSmirk1.duf.png

View attachment G8F_CuteSmirk1 - Expression.7z

CrimsonQuill

Feb 29, 2024
View attachment 3510318
View attachment 3510321

Still waiting for Summer's Gone CH05 full release... :confused:
Actually these are my very first renders with Daz3D, so any suggestions are welcome :)
Those are really good for your first renders. If you're new to 3d in general then I wouldn't worry too much about suggestions at this stage and just spend more time messing around and getting a feel for the software. If you do want advice regardless I suggest looking at artists you really like and picking them apart by their lighting, composition, posing and expressions, and post processing. Don't get too caught in the bigger picture but focus more on one area until you feel comfortable with it. Lighting is usually what people tend to struggle with early on so that would actually be a good place to start.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Okay, one last post of Sasha... ;) I just realized I could lengthen her hair, not sure if I like it longer or not. Also experimented with creating and saving a new expression. Oh, also, I went to the Tone Mapping tab and upped the Saturation to 1.50 which makes the colours more vibrant in all my renders of her...

Sasha (G8F) - Longer Hair.png

Punk01

Sep 12, 2021
Those are really good for your first renders. If you're new to 3d in general then I wouldn't worry too much about suggestions at this stage and just spend more time messing around and getting a feel for the software. If you do want advice regardless I suggest looking at artists you really like and picking them apart by their lighting, composition, posing and expressions, and post processing. Don't get too caught in the bigger picture but focus more on one area until you feel comfortable with it. Lighting is usually what people tend to struggle with early on so that would actually be a good place to start.
Thanks for your feedback. I played a bit with blender in the past, but thats more about creating things, and this is more like composing. Also I’ve watched some videos about the lightnings, and it seems pretty complicated, and i haven’t touched any camera options, or post processing things so far.

Cali89

Aug 1, 2017
Sexy and elegant, would be curious to see how she looked like before being on the sofa and before taking off the jacket (have a picture like that ?).
BTW, can you say what is the base character (if it is not a character you created from zero) ? I like her face - nope, nothing also against the rest, actually, very sexy the body with the jacket, reminds me of someone I crossed once at work many years ago.
Thank you, I just started learning Daz this week so haven't thought about creating my own characters yet. Her face is Gudrun HD for Genesis 8.

ouch2020

Aug 11, 2020
Thank you, I just started learning Daz this week so haven't thought about creating my own characters yet. Her face is Gudrun HD for Genesis 8.
Oh, you are definitively already well advanced, especially for one week.
A small suggestion though, being able to "sculpt" owns characters is the top, but long before getting there, just using existing characters combining the sliders for head and body, can already give good results, especially if then you add up some morphs from various packages that allow to change details of the face and body.
In that way, you may not be able to sell them, but if it is only to make them for yourself, it is more than good enough.

Reactions: Cali89
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes