3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

p_staker

Mar 31, 2018
okay thanks for the input I think it is only fair to show that I listened to your critiques.
Changed her pose since her foot was in his.
Changed his view AND his expression.
Added a few extra lights to add a darker shadow.
added a blue light to deepen the shadow on them
took out that random leaf that caught someone's attention
and added Depth of field to bring attention to the characters
View attachment 177403
Much better.

Evic

May 25, 2018
A quality render will always take time which is why I render overnight, while I'm at work or when I have other stuff to do that doesn't involve using my computer. It's a great excuse to step outside or do some cleaning :) And honestly, anything over 15 minutes has already exceeded my patience for staring at the screen doing nothing anyway so it may as well be 8 hours.

This one took two hours, mostly because I forgot to increase the max render time. It needed another 100 or so iterations to clean up the noise.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As far as how many iterations you need and why you have noise... here's the over-simplified exaplantion:

In reality any single point is illuminated by light coming in from an infinite number of angles. That is 100% convergence.

In a CGI render we don't have an infinite amount of time to simulate light from an infinite number of angles so we guess. When we guess incorrectly that pixel is too bright, too dark or the wrong color... aka, noise. The more we guess (iterations) the more likely we are to guess correctly (less noise). The more light sources we have reaching any single point, the more likely we are to guess correctly (less noise). Brighter areas result in more accurate guessing since the correct value is close to the source value for that pixel (less noise).

So, to get the best guess in the least amount of time you need bright light from multiple sources. Incidentally, that is exactly what HDRI scenes give us, light from many angles and usually pretty bright.

The above 2 hour render of a complte scene with two HD actors, about 5,000,000 polygons and roughly 6Gb of materials including multiple reflective surfaces isn't a noisy mess because of the HDRI background providing light from all around the scene and the addition of a "ghost" light overhead to brighten up the foreground of the scene. In fact, most of the noise you'll see on it comes from the image compression when uploading it, not from the render itself.

Hope that helps :)

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
okay thanks for the input I think it is only fair to show that I listened to your critiques.
Changed her pose since her foot was in his.
Changed his view AND his expression.
Added a few extra lights to add a darker shadow.
added a blue light to deepen the shadow on them
took out that random leaf that caught someone's attention
and added Depth of field to bring attention to the characters
View attachment 177403
This is a massive improvement, DOF makes a pretty big difference, his expression is miles ahead of where it previously was and the overall posing is also greatly improved particularly her hand in his hair and his hand on her back, the barely noticeable nose gap made me smile too, nice job.

If you're still looking for potential improvements i'd suggest a little change in angle of his arm so that it's lifting her leg, if you twist it at the shoulder and add more elbow bend while having his hand a little more directly under her leg it would add a little more physicality to the picture, perhaps having her on her toes would help too, just a couple of thoughts.

CyberW01f

Feb 9, 2018
Something's wrong.
One hour for a background-free render in PNG is a waste of time.
I have 8 GB of RAM
total physical memory = 7.39 gb
physical memory available = 1.88 gb
total virtual memory = 17.4 gb
virtual memory available = 8.51 gb

One hour for a render is normal?
View attachment 177301
I got curious and did a test render. I set the render quality to 5x and the convergence to 99%.
This took an hr and a half before I gave up. It only got to 55%. Without the body hair, it takes ~12 min for me. Its the body hair. Interestingly enough, it wasn't the RAM or the Video card; they never went above 5.5GB of usage or more then 25% utilization. The whole render was CPU heavy.

p_staker

Mar 31, 2018
I got curious and did a test render. I set the render quality to 5x and the convergence to 99%.
This took an hr and a half before I gave up. It only got to 55%. Without the body hair, it takes ~12 min for me. Its the body hair. Interestingly enough, it wasn't the RAM or the Video card; they never went above 5.5GB of usage or more then 25% utilization. The whole render was CPU heavy.
Thanks, I was wondering how much of an affect it would have.

I know that most long hair takes longer then most short ones.

Also, shoes are supposed to be a bit of a "render hog".
I'm sure it depends on the model.

S

SteelRazer

A quality render will always take time which is why I render overnight, while I'm at work or when I have other stuff to do that doesn't involve using my computer. It's a great excuse to step outside or do some cleaning :) And honestly, anything over 15 minutes has already exceeded my patience for staring at the screen doing nothing anyway so it may as well be 8 hours.

This one took two hours, mostly because I forgot to increase the max render time. It needed another 100 or so iterations to clean up the noise.

As far as how many iterations you need and why you have noise... here's the over-simplified exaplantion:

In reality any single point is illuminated by light coming in from an infinite number of angles. That is 100% convergence.

In a CGI render we don't have an infinite amount of time to simulate light from an infinite number of angles so we guess. When we guess incorrectly that pixel is too bright, too dark or the wrong color... aka, noise. The more we guess (iterations) the more likely we are to guess correctly (less noise). The more light sources we have reaching any single point, the more likely we are to guess correctly (less noise). Brighter areas result in more accurate guessing since the correct value is close to the source value for that pixel (less noise).

So, to get the best guess in the least amount of time you need bright light from multiple sources. Incidentally, that is exactly what HDRI scenes give us, light from many angles and usually pretty bright.

The above 2 hour render of a complte scene with two HD actors, about 5,000,000 polygons and roughly 6Gb of materials including multiple reflective surfaces isn't a noisy mess because of the HDRI background providing light from all around the scene and the addition of a "ghost" light overhead to brighten up the foreground of the scene. In fact, most of the noise you'll see on it comes from the image compression when uploading it, not from the render itself.

Hope that helps :)
You could have just link the first 30 min. of Nvidia RTX launch event video.

DanMachiFan

Jan 22, 2018
The eyes should point better at the viewer (any tips)
Create a new camera, if you haven't already done it, and use that instead of perspective view for frame your render.
Select one at a time the eyes of the figure in the scene pane, go to the parameters tab, click on "None..." where you see "Point at" and select the camera like in the screenshot below
cam.jpg
If you move the model or the camera after doing this, just save your scene, close DS, reopen the program and reload the scene.
I'm not sure that closing and reopening DS is essential, but I do it anyway.

migotto

Dec 19, 2017
Create a new camera, if you haven't already done it, and use that instead of perspective view for frame your render.
Select one at a time the eyes of the figure in the scene pane, go to the parameters tab, click on "None..." where you see "Point at" and select the camera like in the screenshot below
View attachment 177879
If you move the model or the camera after doing this, just save your scene, close DS, reopen the program and reload the scene.
I'm not sure that closing and reopening DS is essential, but I do it anyway.
Thanks
I still have to learn how cameras work :p
I'll do it as soon as possible :)

Edit:
I did it!! It was much easier than I tought!

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes