• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Tutorial Daz Studio to Substance Painter (added SP exporter setting)

Daddy_Zee

Nov 8, 2021
Hi, this tutorial has been super helpful. However, I am stuck towards the end. When I export my textures from Substance Painter and try to import them into the Daz Surfaces tab it does not turn out like how it looks in Substance painter. I would greatly appreciate your help to know where to plug in my texture .pngs in Daz.

RVNSN

Drunken Pirate Skirtchaser
Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Hi, this tutorial has been super helpful. However, I am stuck towards the end. When I export my textures from Substance Painter and try to import them into the Daz Surfaces tab it does not turn out like how it looks in Substance painter. I would greatly appreciate your help to know where to plug in my texture .pngs in Daz.
What export setting are you using? And are you using iray?

Daddy_Zee

Nov 8, 2021
What export setting are you using? And are you using iray?
Hi, thank you for responding! Yes, I think so, I selected my Genesis 8 Female and applied the Iray Uber Base from the Iray content library folder and I exported it as an obj. With these settings (image 1. daz export settings.png).

In Substance Painter I export my textures with the Daz3D preset from this tutorial but not all of it export. I am missing the Glossiness.png, Diffuse.png and Specular.png (image 2. export settings substance painter.png and 3. exported textures substance painter.png).

In Daz, I plug in the texture pngs created in Substance Painter but it does not look right / the same as in SP and I can’t plug in the metallic. The example I will use is for the face surface of my Genesis 8 character;

Face_BaseColor.png -> Base colour
Face_BaseColor.png -> Translucency
Base Face_Height.png -> Base Bump
Face_Normal.png -> Normal maps
Face_Roughness.png -> Diffuse Roughness

(I have attached an image of what I mean by I can’t add my Face_Metallic.png in the Metallicity - 4. daz surface settings.png)

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Hi, thank you for responding! Yes, I think so, I selected my Genesis 8 Female and applied the Iray Uber Base from the Iray content library folder and I exported it as an obj. With these settings (image 1. daz export settings.png).

In Substance Painter I export my textures with the Daz3D preset from this tutorial but not all of it export. I am missing the Glossiness.png, Diffuse.png and Specular.png (image 2. export settings substance painter.png and 3. exported textures substance painter.png).

In Daz, I plug in the texture pngs created in Substance Painter but it does not look right / the same as in SP and I can’t plug in the metallic. The example I will use is for the face surface of my Genesis 8 character;

(I have attached an image of what I mean by I can’t add my Face_Metallic.png in the Metallicity - 4. daz surface settings.png)
When I have a chance, I'll have to export a character to be sure about the details of how I've been going through the whole process. A couple of things I can think of: for export settings I have been using RayRay (i think it's called); like you, I've also run into the issue of not all of the different textures exporting from SP; my character in Daz does not look exactly like it does in SP; one thing I would suggest trying that might be more helpful than everything I've said so far is try changing the metalicity setting to 1, or anything above 0, and that should open the option to set an image.

As soon as I have a chance, I'll export a character to refresh myself on how I've done it and if I can come with anything more helpful. Also, while I do use SP on occasion, I'm not super experienced with it, so hopefully someone better versed in it will chime in here. I'll also take a look at the notes and guides I have to see if I can find anything helpful.

Daddy_Zee

Nov 8, 2021
When I have a chance, I'll have to export a character to be sure about the details of how I've been going through the whole process. A couple of things I can think of: for export settings I have been using RayRay (i think it's called); like you, I've also run into the issue of not all of the different textures exporting from SP; my character in Daz does not look exactly like it does in SP; one thing I would suggest trying that might be more helpful than everything I've said so far is try changing the metalicity setting to 1, or anything above 0, and that should open the option to set an image.

As soon as I have a chance, I'll export a character to refresh myself on how I've done it and if I can come with anything more helpful. Also, while I do use SP on occasion, I'm not super experienced with it, so hopefully someone better versed in it will chime in here. I'll also take a look at the notes and guides I have to see if I can find anything helpful.
Ahhh ok, thank you for your help! I've tried RayRay as well but its not really working out for me. I'll keep looking around online for a solution and I'll post it here if I do, but please let me know if you find anything out on your end!

Reactions: RVNSN

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019

Not sure if these will be of any help, but maybe...
This youtube tutorial is probably redundant, as you probably already know everything it covers

Here's a link to a folder I uploaded to my mega account - - it has the rayray export settings if you want to try them and see if you get any different results than using the daz export settings. There are also 2 screenshots for texture placement and settings.

A note about the settings in the screenshots, and when you are using textures you make in substance painter in general: the setting of "1" is not necessarily the best choice, and if you do not adjust those settings appropriately, you will not achieve the same results as you are seeing in substance painter, particularly when you adjust things like glossiness.

Not sure if this will be of much help to you, but thought it wouldn't hurt to share.

[edit: i started writing this reply before leaving for work this morning, and just finally finished it before seeing your post]

Last edited:

Decoy_Raven

Jun 3, 2022
Not sure if these will be of any help, but maybe...
This youtube tutorial is probably redundant, as you probably already know everything it covers

Here's a link to a folder I uploaded to my mega account - - it has the rayray export settings if you want to try them and see if you get any different results than using the daz export settings. There are also 2 screenshots for texture placement and settings.

A note about the settings in the screenshots, and when you are using textures you make in substance painter in general: the setting of "1" is not necessarily the best choice, and if you do not adjust those settings appropriately, you will not achieve the same results as you are seeing in substance painter, particularly when you adjust things like glossiness.

Not sure if this will be of much help to you, but thought it wouldn't hurt to share.

[edit: i started writing this reply before leaving for work this morning, and just finally finished it before seeing your post]
I just found this through google, got me curious so I made a user. It was well worth it! This is the first time I'm getting the same results in DAZ as what I'm seeing in Painter. So with deep respect I'd like to say thank you, thank you!

Not sure if I'm supposed to put maps in all those glossiness channels and such but I'll probably figure it out. At least now I've got some consistency and it's awesome. You're the best.

Reactions: RVNSN

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
I just found this through google, got me curious so I made a user. It was well worth it! This is the first time I'm getting the same results in DAZ as what I'm seeing in Painter. So with deep respect I'd like to say thank you, thank you!

Not sure if I'm supposed to put maps in all those glossiness channels and such but I'll probably figure it out. At least now I've got some consistency and it's awesome. You're the best.
Happy to help. I generally end up only using a few of the maps. If you look at the output images, you might be able to tell which maps are not useful. My knowledge of it is still not nearly expert level, especially as I only use painter on occasion when setting up something new, so someone else might be able to give more detailed advice on perfecting your map settings, but trial and error is always great for learning. Have fun with it, it's a great tool!

Reactions: Decoy_Raven