• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Unreal Engine Daz Daz 3D to UE 4. Licence Question

RatPitGames

Game Developer
Jul 19, 2019
If i import daz 3d models to ue 4 project and release it for free, but with Patreon support, will i have problems with licence agreements? Or i must to buy "Interactive License " for all assets i want to import?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
If i import daz 3d models to ue 4 project and release it for free, but with Patreon support, will i have problems with licence agreements?
Yes

Or i must to buy "Interactive License " for all assets i want to import?
Yes

If you buy the asset (well, "purchase a license" to the asset), this gives you the right to make 2D imagery from it. If you want to use the actual 3D asset in your game (i.e. embed the mesh, the textures, etc.) then you need to purchase the Interactive License. It doesn't matter whether your game is free, Patreon-supported or sold. The "normal" license only applies to you, so if anybody other than you is going to end up using the 3D model (indirectly, through the game), that isn't covered by the basic license.

That statement is the case for assets offered through the daz3d.com store. Other stores (Renderosity, Renderotica) have other terms - on those stores, many assets don't even offer Interactive Licenses. And where a PA does offer it, it tends to be a separate, parallel product.