3.50 star(s) 125 Votes

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
It's not about earning money. There are plenty of devs making plenty of money by making good games, and releasing the exact same build behind a "patron only" post. So even when the game gets leaked here, plenty of people still support the creator because they made a good product. Some others create extra bonus goodies, or an elite version of the game, but none of them appear to be incompatible with the free version in the way that Palmer has made his game.

Is there some part of this incredibly simple explanation you fail to grasp? :)

(Oh, and as I mentioned before, I'm A PAYING PATRON OF HIS. So I think I'm well within my rights to lodge a complaint about his poor design choices.)
Do you feel a need to add an insult to your explanation? How did that line help me "grasp" your reply? Mine was a lighthearted comment on an ongoing discussion. I am not responsible for your misperceptions. Focus your indignation elsewhere.

Reactions: Palmer

Ricky | Love-Joint

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2017
Off the top of my head...
Interesting... this changes all the crap I said about Tyranobuilder....

You built your own engine? You're not using someone else's?

Because the last people that said this (Chloe18) didn't build their own engine. They were using another product.

Can you be clear about what engine you're actually using?

(Speaking of Chloe18, as I said, they claimed to "use their own engine", but actually use , which seems similar to what you are using, as it has the same kind of nasty export formats, web support, the "data.win" file format, etc... so if it's not that, it seems like it's something very similar and not something actually build from scratch by the devs? Hence my curiosity about what tools you're actually using.

It doesn't change that I think forcing the users to hop back and forth between these crappy incompatible web based versions and the standalone desktop version is driven by greed and the desire to try to force users to pay to be patrons to see the content, despite it causing more problems for the users and making a lot of them unhappy... rather than just making a high quality product like other devs do, who put the low bar of a patron only post up, but allow them to be shared here anyway because they still get plenty of patron support for making good products and treating their users with respect.

Ideally this game would be released up front as a single build that includes successive chapters in the same download, with a single set of saves, and would support Windows, Mac, and Linux by default as the Ren'Py builds do. Not to mention better saves, rollback, and the flexibility that comes with Ren'Py.

But hey... I'm just a filthy user peasant, right? What do I know. ;) )
We do use Game Maker Studio 2 as a tool, but we did code our own visual novel engine from scratch to fit our needs and use our own custom scripting language on it. Game Maker, Unity, Unreal etc are general game making tool/engines in which you can code what you need. Is not the same as Tyranobuilder or Ren'Py that are specifically visual novel engines with their paradigms and limitations, not general programming products.

These days I was joking with my team mates about how the engine became a monster and I came with these curious numbers:
- 41,315 lines of code
- 10 extensions
- 191 objects
- 22 rooms
- 280 script files

I know my engine doesn't has all the features that, for instance, Ren'Py has. But hey, Ren'Py has been in production since 2004... Is an unfair tech comparative (although still valid from the point of view of the raw player of course). I am actively working to make it better and several new features and improvements has been implemented since we release the first chapter of DFD. Is not that easy to develop a custom engine with all the things players want when you have to deal with monthly deploys + maintenance + server + support + meetings + bugs + life. But I'm doing my best.

And yes, we have plans to have an all-in-one build with all chapters once the game is completed. The current distribution method is just the way we found to deal with the monthly releases of an in-production game.

As for the other stuff, I won't share my thoughts here as it involves the Love-Joint team decisions as a whole and I'm not the official spokesman, I am the programmer :)

Jim Webb

Jun 23, 2017
There's nothing more entertaining than a dev trying to rationally discuss earning money to people on a pirate site. The incongruity is beyond absurd. It's like watching the initial scenes from Enemy Mine.

Ah Ah Ah I've supported many games financially that I've found through this site I never would of heard of them otherwise.

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Ah Ah Ah I've supported many games financially that I've found through this site I never would of heard of them otherwise.
Heh. Me too. I was just admiring the irony of discussions about earning money on a site devoted to free downloads. Of course, if no one remembers the movie Enemy Mine, they might not recall the two antagonists became best friends.

Reactions: Burt and Jim Webb

Jim Webb

Jun 23, 2017
Heh. Me too. I was just admiring the irony of discussions about earning money on a site devoted to free downloads. Of course, if no one remembers the movie Enemy Mine, they might not recall the two antagonists became best friends.
Cool I've never heard of that movie what about Tango and Cash they became the best bromances I see an similar movie in the making for Palmer and phreadom!!

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Sure, it's that initial dislike before best buddies! Like Nolte and Murphy in 48 Hours. I think we're onto something here.

phreadom

Sep 2, 2017
@rczdev I appreciate the explanation. :) It was a courteous and informative explanation. Couldn't ask for more.

Same here. Probably not as many as you, but a number of them. I wouldn't have known almost any of the games I've played if not for this site. I only knew of maybe 5 games tops before this outside of R18 patched Steam games like the Winged Cloud series. That got old after awhile and I happened to stumble across Four Elements Trainer. That was mind blowing at the time. But then I found Summertime Saga. That was a whole new world. I avoided the 3D games for awhile as most look simply abominable.... but after finding a few that used a great style some of those have grown on me. I've probably played dozens of games now (well over 100 at a glance), and supported a number of them, and that happened by and large when I stumbled across this site while googling around to find more games like Four Elements Trainer, as clicking around on Patreon after finding FET still wasn't turning up much... The Wind's Disciple, Snow Daze, and a couple of the Akabur type ones (which I avoided because I don't care much for his style) were really about all I'd seen digging around on Patreon until I found this site.

Last edited:

geriatre

Aug 22, 2016
I liked it,
But When you advertising something as 1.00 then you expect a Full version or at least a version with substantial content.
This is not...
So i would make this a 0.01 or a 0.1 so you can avoid any miscommunication or conflict with people who are expecting a 1.0 version.
"1.0" can mean major version 1 minor version 0, which would make sense since this would be the first version released.

There's no reliable way to tell how much content a product has based on the version number alone.

Some people release games as 0.1 with tons of stuff while others throw out a 1.0 demo.

You don't even have to give your game a version number, you can just go with plant and animal names, like "Dating My Daughter, version Beet Horse"

coolboy88

Jan 2, 2018
That's called quote mining.

It was very clear what I meant from the following sentences that you removed that sentence from in order to make it look like I meant something other than what I clearly meant. In that the point wasn't MERELY about earning money, but about the ways in which you negatively impacted your userbase in order to try to maximize your earnings. It was THAT point which was the key point being discussed. The fact that you could still earn money in a way that didn't involve so much confusion and user frustration due to incompatible versions, etc.

You have to either be intentionally dishonest here, or just stupid to try acting like it wasn't perfectly clear what I meant. I'll show you the courtesy of just calling you a liar, as I don't think you're that stupid. You're just unethical and intellectually dishonest.

I'm done discussing this with you and am now removing my patronage as you don't deserve it.

Again, good day.
I was a big fan of this game but after last few updates, I find this game boring and annoying especially that detective lol. This game is all about talking and less action. Lack of sexual content, Only teaser. I was even considering to become a patreon to access chapter 7 but after seeing few negative reviews about the latest updates, I don't have the plan anymore. I will wait for chapter 8 or 9 if the developer ever change anything and make it more interesting.

coolboy88

Jan 2, 2018
By the way, F95 zone is not a pirate site. It's where you promote your game and attract an audience. There is huge advantage for developers to attract users. Some end up becoming patreon and get access to the gold version of the game or early release. For example, I will never hear about this game through google or BBC News, but from F95zone.

nod24

May 4, 2017
Why do they have the same tits? Is it the author's laziness or fetish?

The poses of the characters are pretty ... monotonous. Uglies do not get right from version to version.

Reactions: coolboy88

Jim Webb

Jun 23, 2017
@rczdev I appreciate the explanation. :) It was a courteous and informative explanation. Couldn't ask for more.

Same here. Probably not as many as you, but a number of them. I wouldn't have known almost any of the games I've played if not for this site. I only knew of maybe 5 games tops before this outside of R18 patched Steam games like the Winged Cloud series. That got old after awhile and I happened to stumble across Four Elements Trainer. That was mind blowing at the time. But then I found Summertime Saga. That was a whole new world. I avoided the 3D games for awhile as most look simply abominable.... but after finding a few that used a great style some of those have grown on me. I've probably played dozens of games now (well over 100 at a glance), and supported a number of them, and that happened by and large when I stumbled across this site while googling around to find more games like Four Elements Trainer, as clicking around on Patreon after finding FET still wasn't turning up much... The Wind's Disciple, Snow Daze, and a couple of the Akabur type ones (which I avoided because I don't care much for his style) were really about all I'd seen digging around on Patreon until I found this site.

Akabur was my first one

Akabur was my first one I think that was the same for an lot of people when I played the Princess Trainer i needed more I stumbled on an bunch of other sites before i found this one this is far superior to the others by far You know i've never played the Four elements game keep meaning too but never do I guess it must be good I will have to correct that.

Kane Salvatore

Salvatore Studios
Donor
Jan 2, 2018
By the way, F95 zone is not a pirate site. It's where you promote your game and attract an audience. There is huge advantage for developers to attract users. Some end up becoming patreon and get access to the gold version of the game or early release. For example, I will never hear about this game through google or BBC News, but from F95zone.
Well.. It is in regards to Patreon, it allows banned content that Patreon has gotten rid of.. And 'pirate site' sounds better than 'outlaw site'..

3.50 star(s) 125 Votes