RPGM Cursed Armor II [v5.90] [Wolfzq]

3.20 star(s) 12 Votes

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
So is this game worth a download and how dose it play?
To start with I'd say you should wait for a few updates before playing it, there's not terribly much content yet.

As for how it plays, it's a bit of a clunky action rpg, though not much combat at the moment. It has a large number of stats to track different sex acts and the like, with titles / achievements for different ranks of actions.

LoafyLemon

Witch Trainer Silver
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2017
As I have Finished original CA not long ago I have to say it was really good game! Story was interesting, character creation was pretty good and plot twists were fun to uncover, even with its terrible translation I had a lot of fun. Whoever wrote the story for Unicorn Bride deserves an oscar, it was intriguing and funny to say the least. Altough mini game was grindy as hell (Yes I had to buy the unicorn out of curiosity XD). The game at first had lots of content and unexpected plot twists but after receiving scourge staff (or whatever its correct name was) it was too straightforward, it simply seemed rushed. I can't say anything bad when it comes to CG, but I'd love to see more body transformation changes (Must be a hell to make them work with outfits, I know, but a man can dream!). Definitely looking forward to CA 2.

Reactions: wolfzq

a8571003

Mar 30, 2018
Tip for @wolfzq:

I noticed that you are concerned with unauthorized copies of the game floating around, and as a content creator I can understand the emotional frustration of having your game being spread around without your consent. Here are some suggestions, feel free to disregard if you feel it doesn't apply, but I genuinely do think it will help your revenue. Some of the suggestions below will require a difficult change in mental perspective.

1) You can't stop piracy. Players will pirate the game for many different reasons. You can spend an enormous amount of time and money trying, but it won't stop it. At some point in time you have to ask yourself if the ROI and perception with your community is worth it.

2) Embrace the piracy. You may find that this will paradoxically make your game more successful. People will be more likely to spread and evangelize your game. Key is growing the pie, not the slice.

3) Simplify the purchase options. Selling outfits is nice, but the barrier of entry is too high and confusing for most people. Customers will also find it annoying if you nickel and dime them. Remember to focus on the size of the pie, not the slice.

4) Use patreon as income while the game is being built, but look to other venues to sell once it is complete (like Steam for the western audience). Steam will also help reduce piracy.

5) Polish the translations. This is the biggest barrier to whether or not customers are willing to pay.

Thank you for your game and good luck!

Jaster42

Feb 14, 2018
So is this game worth a download and how dose it play?
I gave it a short try, story's solid, and the CG's very good. I didn't really like the game play element (I wouldn't call the game play bad, but I don't think its my style), but there wasn't a ton of it in the bit I had played. It's rough at this point (Given that it's a 0.2, no shock there), but I'd say it's worth a download at the least.

imelman

May 15, 2018
So, the developer behind it has quite dumb/shady history behind, and this won't be forgotten when taking in details of the sequel. While I'm not outright hating, the fact the system caused an uproar among users and even more initiative to pirate your game, however, is telling something. Doing it again will result in people rebelling with harsher force.

As for the sequel, I'll suggest making it easier to understand; the original one was very confusing and against the spirit of RPG and general progression, was pretty much trial and error unless you used cheats, no way to effectively progress without doing things wrong, like losing to enemies(and even then, losing to wrong enemy will mean harder game), e.t.c. Meltys Quest is liked/loved because of how fun it is. Your first game wasn't fun because it was confusing, unfluid, greedy practices enforced on everyone forcing to pirate your game in order to even look at it, paid stuff related to copyrighted material like Date a Live which you cant profit from, donator stuff giving advantages(not game winning, but character wise), such as time stop or more effective armor, e.t.c.

Removing those bad parts(and others)will make a product that people will respect and wont hate you because they aren't abusive. Criticism exists to improve; not listening and acting aggressive against it will only make things worse. Asset flip and other awful devs like SakuraGame have proven why. Don't become just as bad as them.

wolfzq

Jul 18, 2018
These are all good opinions, thanks, @ for criticism, support and advices, thank you @ for....criticism and criticism.

tyrrandae

Aug 7, 2017
So, the developer behind it has quite dumb/shady history behind, and this won't be forgotten when taking in details of the sequel. While I'm not outright hating, the fact the system caused an uproar among users and even more initiative to pirate your game, however, is telling something. Doing it again will result in people rebelling with harsher force.

As for the sequel, I'll suggest making it easier to understand; the original one was very confusing and against the spirit of RPG and general progression, was pretty much trial and error unless you used cheats, no way to effectively progress without doing things wrong, like losing to enemies(and even then, losing to wrong enemy will mean harder game), e.t.c. Meltys Quest is liked/loved because of how fun it is. Your first game wasn't fun because it was confusing, unfluid, greedy practices enforced on everyone forcing to pirate your game in order to even look at it, paid stuff related to copyrighted material like Date a Live which you cant profit from, donator stuff giving advantages(not game winning, but character wise), such as time stop or more effective armor, e.t.c.

Removing those bad parts(and others)will make a product that people will respect and wont hate you because they aren't abusive. Criticism exists to improve; not listening and acting aggressive against it will only make things worse. Asset flip and other awful devs like SakuraGame have proven why. Don't become just as bad as them.
I will have to disagree. I personally found the game quite fun to play and loved trying out different things. You make a comparison to Melty's Quest, and while It was fun to play, I found that it was quite linear to play through with no real choices on how to explore. I played it once and never again, since you pretty much get everything out of it in one playthrough. In Cursed Armor there were many paths to take to reach different endings and I find my self going back to play through them again. Granted the grind in the game is really annoying, but you have to remember this is made by a chinese developer, and they love their grinds, as do most other asian players to my understanding.

And you call him out on profiting from copyrighted material, and I am genuinely confused by this. How is what he is doing any different than what other circles on DLsite, or other publishers or doujin artists are doing. To my understanding they are profiting from using other copyright materials to parody or outright replicate. Yet I have only ever seen people call wolfzq out on it. So I would really like to know so that I can be less confused as to why it bad for him but not all the others.

Reactions: Badaxe93

monkgi

Sep 25, 2017
I didn't play the first game, first off, but what's this about stuff being copyrighted?

Anyway, I enjoy this game, just wish it was translated completely. I pretty much had to play some parts while using google translate on my phone, though it's easy enough once you get into the flow of how the game works. I'm liking where the game is going, but I hope there's more to the princess than what was just at the beginning. It looked, like you could mix and match armor pieces and outfits in part 1, so I hope that feature will be implemented in part 2. keep up the good work.

edit: any way, in future versions, you can make it so the end doesn't lock you out of continuing to play? I found that if you complete all the tasks, then go speak to ferdinand, the game locks you out of the night event (because ferdinand just continues to say "this is the end of version .2" or whatever.) I enjoy being able to just explore around the town and mess around with the stats more.

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
I didn't play the first game, first off, but what's this about stuff being copyrighted?
If I remember correctly the main character's base design is from some anime / manga. Then there's all the cosplay outfits they sell for the game, which could also be a problem or what's being referenced.

wolfzq

Jul 18, 2018
Tip for @wolfzq:

I noticed that you are concerned with unauthorized copies of the game floating around, and as a content creator I can understand the emotional frustration of having your game being spread around without your consent. Here are some suggestions, feel free to disregard if you feel it doesn't apply, but I genuinely do think it will help your revenue. Some of the suggestions below will require a difficult change in mental perspective.

1) You can't stop piracy. Players will pirate the game for many different reasons. You can spend an enormous amount of time and money trying, but it won't stop it. At some point in time you have to ask yourself if the ROI and perception with your community is worth it.

2) Embrace the piracy. You may find that this will paradoxically make your game more successful. People will be more likely to spread and evangelize your game. Key is growing the pie, not the slice.

3) Simplify the purchase options. Selling outfits is nice, but the barrier of entry is too high and confusing for most people. Customers will also find it annoying if you nickel and dime them. Remember to focus on the size of the pie, not the slice.

4) Use patreon as income while the game is being built, but look to other venues to sell once it is complete (like Steam for the western audience). Steam will also help reduce piracy.

5) Polish the translations. This is the biggest barrier to whether or not customers are willing to pay.

Thank you for your game and good luck!
We've got to talk someday, after my CA is on Steam in next month :)

Reactions: a8571003

wolfzq

Jul 18, 2018
Well didn't have too much time to play around, it made me feel weird thinking that this story is connected to the first one as there is a level of character attachment and knowing that it is a different body but same soul just makes me think will that ever change and will the OC's soul ever be transformed.

Overall seems really good to me. The new animations are lovely. The game itself seems to have a lot of potential. When the game gets fully translated I bet I shall enjoy it even more since getting hit by random text I do not understand leaves me confused. Phone translator can only do so much. :D

I don't know if it was just me but seemingly there is no skip button like in CA1, which would come in useful after seeing the transformation a few times and if game crashes cuz my PC decides to do a windows update I may skip to where I was....

Overall looking forward to seeing how it goes. How often could you estimate updates to come out?
I changed the skip key to C in CA II..... probably should've mentioned it in game.....

a8571003

Mar 30, 2018

Not familiar with the shady backstory (only saw this game relatively recently because it was trending on the forums). Also it's a little disingenuous to say someone is being greedy. Isn't the whole point of selling something to make money off of it? That being said, I don't disagree with some of the criticisms you raise, although your post would be more helpful if it didn't come off as so attacking.

Some of the confusing elements are mostly related to bugs and translations. There are a few rough edges, but those could be resolved with some additional polishing. If wolfzq releases to steam, I think the feedback that comes in will help them make a better game.

One of the things that made CA stand out against other RPGs were the interactive plot subloops that occured throughout the game. Even though there were "bad ends", it didn't shoehorn you into a single plotline, and the game tracked a lot of metrics in an interactive way that actually impacted your character (something not a lot of games do). The slave / prison / school subloops were probably the best.

Would have loved to see a more fleshed out pregnancy mechanic (something that gives the players more choice and interaction), but one can only hope for CA2. The pregnancy system in CA1 was restricted to certain story loops and was pretty much just restricted to some CGs and sprites.

deltahalo241

Apr 11, 2018
I hope the yuri scenes are a bit more fleshed out in this sequel, I don't think there was a single CG yuri scene that wasn't futa in the original. It was all sprite sex, and the Nun's scene was just a fade to black. I understand it would require more work, but it is something I'd like to see

Reactions: Asuminoya

Loqic

Royal Jelly
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
I really loved the first game, so happy to see a sequel! But, but.. less scat and more yuri please x)

Reactions: Asuminoya

Ravellon

Jan 17, 2018
@wolfzq you should count yourself very lucky none of the copyright holders whose material you used as paid costumes found your game. Lilith is very aggressive when it comes to copyright for example. If they did, your Patreon would've been shut down, I'm quite sure.

So if you plan on growing your audience you probably shouldn't profit from copyrighted material. Either don't use it at all or make the game free and rely on Patreon alone.

tyrrandae

Aug 7, 2017
@wolfzq you should count yourself very lucky none of the copyright holders whose material you used as paid costumes found your game. Lilith is very aggressive when it comes to copyright for example. If they did, your Patreon would've been shut down, I'm quite sure.

So if you plan on growing your audience you probably shouldn't profit from copyrighted material. Either don't use it at all or make the game free and rely on Patreon alone.
And another person calling him out for using copyright material usage, so i'll also ask you the same question as above.
What makes it wrong for @wolfzq to use said materials, but it's okay for ALL of the other doujin artists, and other game companies or circles on DLsite from using copyrighted characters in their works? This is very confusing to me, and i'd really like it clarified.

Ravellon

Jan 17, 2018
And another person calling him out for using copyright material usage, so i'll also ask you the same question as above.
What makes it wrong for @wolfzq to use said materials, but it's okay for ALL of the other doujin artists, and other game companies or circles on DLsite from using copyrighted characters in their works? This is very confusing to me, and i'd really like it clarified.
In case of doujins it's just Japanese manga culture that was established over the years. It is only illegal if copyright holder complains. They don't complain about doujins. They can but they don't.
There is no such culture in gaming. There is no massive market of derivative fan-made games. So game publishers are much more willing to shut down people profiting from their properties.
Lilith, owner of Asagi character that was one of costumes used, are among the more aggressive publishers when it comes to copyright.

Overall, it is within the right of the copyright holder to send a cease and desist order to anyone directly profiting from their copyrighted material. It almost never happens with derivative works in manga form but it does happen with derivative works in game form.
It is completely up to the copyright holder to decide what is a permissible way to profit from their property and what is not.

The more properties of different copyright holders are used the greater the chance that one of them will decide to get involved.
The better the game is known the greater the chance that that will happen.
The more blatant the exploitation of those properties for profit is the more likely that is to happen.

This sort of derivative work exists in a grey area and does so only because copyright holders in Japan believe that is beneficial to them. It is ok not because the law allows it but because copyright holders allow it. But the more legally grey such use is the less likely the copyright holders are to try to do something about it if they were to decide they don't like that particular use.

Creating a derivative work for no profit is not a breach of copyright laws.
Being paid for working on a project that is partially derivative and is free otherwise is not a definitive breach of copyright laws.
Selling a mostly original project that contains derivative elements is probably a breach of copyright laws in most jurisdictions and so it is up to copyright holder to decide if they have a problem with it.
Selling mods that are in their entirety a copyrighted material is most definitely a breach of copyright laws in all jurisdictions that have copyright laws and it is up to copyright holders to decide if they have a problem with it. They are much more likely to have a problem with this than in previous case.

Personally, I consider wolfzq's use of copyrighted material for profit wrong because of how blatant it is (in a sense that what you get behind paywall is just outright copy) and because of how much he was bothered about his own copyright.

TL; DR: for any derivative work that is monetised it is ok either because the copyright holder is not aware or because he is aware and decided It's Ok.
If copyright holder decides that a particular derivative work abuses the unspoken permission it was given to use the copyrighted material it suddenly becomes Not Ok.
It is best to not do something that may cause the latter and try to keep to the former.

tyrrandae

Aug 7, 2017
In case of doujins it's just Japanese manga culture that was established over the years. It is only illegal if copyright holder complains. They don't complain about doujins. They can but they don't.
There is no such culture in gaming. There is no massive market of derivative fan-made games. So game publishers are much more willing to shut down people profiting from their properties.
Lilith, owner of Asagi character that was one of costumes used, are among the more aggressive publishers when it comes to copyright.

Overall, it is within the right of the copyright holder to send a cease and desist order to anyone directly profiting from their copyrighted material. It almost never happens with derivative works in manga form but it does happen with derivative works in game form.
It is completely up to the copyright holder to decide what is a permissible way to profit from their property and what is not.

The more properties of different copyright holders are used the greater the chance that one of them will decide to get involved.
The better the game is known the greater the chance that that will happen.
The more blatant the exploitation of those properties for profit is the more likely that is to happen.

This sort of derivative work exists in a grey area and does so only because copyright holders in Japan believe that is beneficial to them. It is ok not because the law allows it but because copyright holders allow it. But the more legally grey such use is the less likely the copyright holders are to try to do something about it if they were to decide they don't like that particular use.

Creating a derivative work for no profit is not a breach of copyright laws.
Being paid for working on a project that is partially derivative and is free otherwise is not a definitive breach of copyright laws.
Selling a mostly original project that contains derivative elements is probably a breach of copyright laws in most jurisdictions and so it is up to copyright holder to decide if they have a problem with it.
Selling mods that are in their entirety a copyrighted material is most definitely a breach of copyright laws in all jurisdictions that have copyright laws and it is up to copyright holders to decide if they have a problem with it. They are much more likely to have a problem with this than in previous case.

Personally, I consider wolfzq's use of copyrighted material for profit wrong because of how blatant it is (in a sense that what you get behind paywall is just outright copy) and because of how much he was bothered about his own copyright.

TL; DR: for any derivative work that is monetised it is ok either because the copyright holder is not aware or because he is aware and decided It's Ok.
If copyright holder decides that a particular derivative work abuses the unspoken permission it was given to use the copyrighted material it suddenly becomes Not Ok.
It is best to not do something that may cause the latter and try to keep to the former.
But there are still a number of circles on DLsite which profit from copyright works, one of the best examples I can come up with is , which makes Mahjong games with characters from quite a few popular copyrighted materials. And there are a few more that i can't remember off the top of my head. How are these circles able to make profits from these games without people complaining about them?

Either way I thank you for your explanation. I'm just not overall sure what the issue is if the copyright holders are not actively telling him to cease his work or remove it, why should non-copyright holders care? I just can't agree with coming down on him when other circles do the same thing. But I still thank you for your detailed explanation.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
But there are still a number of circles on DLsite which profit from copyright works, one of the best examples I can come up with is , which makes Mahjong games with characters from quite a few popular copyrighted materials. And there are a few more that i can't remember off the top of my head. How are these circles able to make profits from these games without people complaining about them?

Either way I thank you for your explanation. I'm just not overall sure what the issue is if the copyright holders are not actively telling him to cease his work or remove it, why should non-copyright holders care? I just can't agree with coming down on him when other circles do the same thing. But I still thank you for your detailed explanation.
I'm not an expert in laws by any means, especially outside my country but the deal with this stuff in japan is basically that it falls under "fair use" as "parodies". And they're not a big enough deal for the original authors to go after them. There's no money to be made that way.

3.20 star(s) 12 Votes