VN Creation of renders (as well as Animation) in Daz Studio

itaka

Jan 19, 2020
Hello people,

I've wanted to make my own game for a long time now, I've made a story and I started making it in Daz Studio, I made models, more precisely not all but a few of them because I encountered a huge problem, I even found models like houses, etc. however when I get to the point of creating an animation of anything there is a real problem, I mean not only with that but with the render when I need to render just the image it takes an extremely long time, is it really like that or is there simply something I don't know like maybe the settings (and if I followed some setup settings on yt) or maybe some tricks that will speed up the process itself, I heard some things like adding only what you need or is in the circle of the scene, etc.

Any help from a professional would be great and appreciated.

My PC:
- 32 RAM
- Nvidia RTX3060 12GB
- i7 core - 16 core turbo to 4.9GHz

Thanks!

Richard Fappington

Donor
Jul 30, 2018
Can you define "an extremely long time" in this scenario?

Do you have an example scene you can provide details from? Screenshots of viewport as well as render settings would help. DUF file, if you can upload it, would be helpful as well.

Reactions: itaka

Family Fun

Nov 9, 2020
Good luck!
I am literally on the same path. I have ideas of stories and can even visualize the scene in my head but getting it into DAZ has been my biggest obstacle.

I, literally, have all of those same questions and also watched yt to try to find answers.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The short answer is: with that sort of hardware, depending on your render settings, you might be looking at 10-30 minutes per image to get the render to "acceptable if we use post-noise reduction" level.

There are always caveats - for example, if you have loaded 5+ Genesis9 characters into your scene with fibre hair and complex clothing, then maybe it exceeds the GPU VRAM and fallen back to CPU. In which case the render time would be more like 12-36 hours per image.
Or if you have set the render size to 4K (3840x2160) - that's 4x the pixels of fullhd, so takes 4x as long.

Animations are simply doing a sequence of renders, so it is (frame render time * 30 * seconds) i.e. like 200 times longer than a single frame for a 5 second clip.

There's a lot to learn, it's a process. The only way to get better understanding and better results is to mess around with the tools (doing basic things first), watch learning materials, ask questions, iterate.

Reactions: itaka

itaka

Jan 19, 2020
I did a little research yesterday the site has a lot of useful stuff and I see that most people solve those render time problems, for example this image below took me 2 minutes
Testing lib3-1.png
and I tweaked it a bit in photoshop, and that's all fine, but what about when it comes on the line where I need to make a rendering for a room or when that model is in a room, is it possible that the solution is to render each thing separately and then join them together, it is clear to me also for animations that these are parts of the image, i.e. frames per second.
I did one scene where I put two models and some house room the rendering took over 3 hours, which is too much for me.

Any tips and tricks would be useful, I know that a lot of people simply won't share it because they spent many days researching to share all the tips with someone, but I certainly hope that I will get at least some.
Thanks anyway!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
There's lots of things:

1. use HDRI for scene illumination instead of lots of individual light sources. This works better for outdoors scenes than indoors, but there are ways around that... leading to:

2. get the "field of view cutoff camera" preset. ( ) It uses section planes to cut off all the geometry outside view of the camera, so the render load is way lower. As a bonus, it lets the light from the HDRI into your indoor scene and allows you to reduce reliance on spot or point lights

3. a lot of products have very high resolution diffuse maps. this is great for closeups but actually a negative for medium or far shots. So there are tools to reduce these maps to much lower resolution (i.e. 512px instead of 4K). Scene optimizer is the best known of these tools. It also allows you to selectively remove the more complex skin/surface effects like SSS or bump maps when not needed on distant figures.

4. Some hair items are beautiful but very slow to render. trial and error needed here.

5. get used to "ai" denoisers. this allows you to do a much lower iterations count on most renders, then smooth out the graininess. You can lose some fine details this way, so to combat that you can do the dual-layer denoise technique that one of the other regular posters always recommends. What he does it use the ai denoiser, then layers the two images in <image editor of choice> then selectively blend the ai denoise at 25-75% over the obvious grainy places. If there's specific (i.e. facial or something) detail areas you want perfect, you can do a spot render (look it up) of that region at a relatively high iteratons number and then blend that part into your image as well

6. split render is thing: render the background, then do the figures separately and put them in front as sprites in the game engine. Very common in older japanese VNs to save on the number of images needed to be hand drawn. Only the major sex scenes would have full page images, the rest would be the "tachi-e" style.

itaka

Jan 19, 2020
There's lots of things:

1. use HDRI for scene illumination instead of lots of individual light sources. This works better for outdoors scenes than indoors, but there are ways around that... leading to:

2. get the "field of view cutoff camera" preset. ( ) It uses section planes to cut off all the geometry outside view of the camera, so the render load is way lower. As a bonus, it lets the light from the HDRI into your indoor scene and allows you to reduce reliance on spot or point lights

3. a lot of products have very high resolution diffuse maps. this is great for closeups but actually a negative for medium or far shots. So there are tools to reduce these maps to much lower resolution (i.e. 512px instead of 4K). Scene optimizer is the best known of these tools. It also allows you to selectively remove the more complex skin/surface effects like SSS or bump maps when not needed on distant figures.

4. Some hair items are beautiful but very slow to render. trial and error needed here.

5. get used to "ai" denoisers. this allows you to do a much lower iterations count on most renders, then smooth out the graininess. You can lose some fine details this way, so to combat that you can do the dual-layer denoise technique that one of the other regular posters always recommends. What he does it use the ai denoiser, then layers the two images in <image editor of choice> then selectively blend the ai denoise at 25-75% over the obvious grainy places. If there's specific (i.e. facial or something) detail areas you want perfect, you can do a spot render (look it up) of that region at a relatively high iteratons number and then blend that part into your image as well

6. split render is thing: render the background, then do the figures separately and put them in front as sprites in the game engine. Very common in older japanese VNs to save on the number of images needed to be hand drawn. Only the major sex scenes would have full page images, the rest would be the "tachi-e" style.
I don't know who you are but I can't tell you how much this meant to me and thank you so much for that! I will take into account all the items you wrote to me and I hope I will succeed in making the game and when I finish the first part I will send it to you to give me a comment. Thanks again!