Comics Creating an interactive comic

clay74

Sep 13, 2021
I have a world that I have been building for myself over the past few years. Over the last couple of months, I have been making character sheets and bashing out some concept art in Daz to storyboard some of the short stories that I have. My first thought was to just start a run of the mill digital comic, but I'm not sure if I want to prune too much of the narrative. I am a fan of rawlyraws and lexx228 and the way that they do their comics, and I am thinking of going in this direction, but I want something a bit different.

Rather than having the text and illustration be static pages, I want to be able to have a small amount of interaction with the illustration. I would like for the text and illustrations to be a bit separated, so that I can scroll back and forth a bit in the narrative, or the illustrations, but not letting them get too disjointed. I would also like to have some of the illustrations be animated with a fixed camera, and maybe have some animations with a limited camera rotation or zoom functionality. It would be nice to be able to move the camera around some of the still illustrations with a parallax effect, as well.

So, I have a world, I have characters and motivations and a few short stories, I just need a way to put this together. I am NOT trying to make a game, I do not want to bother with branching dialogues or multiple endings. I just want to enhance my digital comic experience. At some point, I do plan on dipping my toes into a CYOA adventure with limited branches, but that is way in the future.

I am looking for suggestions on a program or engine that can get close to what I am looking for out of the box with minimal coding. Something with visual scripting or a node system would be ideal for me. I am pretty comfortable with the node systems in Blender and UE, but they seem a bit overkill for this.

If anyone has any recommendations or advice, it is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
C