• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Creating a New Game

V

vaultcbc

Hi, nice to meet you all. I'm Renzo from Italy and I'm trying to create a new game. I'm a programmer and a writer, I already wrote and published two erotic novels so I decided to start working on something different. I already created a main storyline for this videogame and I built a Ren'Py structure of it (I know how to use Unity but I prefer Ren'Py for this kind of videogame). The only problem I have right now is to choose which kind of pictures to use. I'd really like to use real picture like Last Man but I'm afraid of copyright issues, my game will be 100% free but i'm not sure what kind of videos/pictures i can use. I also tried to create pictures on Daz3D but it took really a lot of time to render a single picture since I'm using a 2014 Macbook Pro.
I'll appreciate any suggestion you can give to me!

Reactions: j5LDC2TB

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Try using the 3delight engine with daz3d. It's for many setups, faster than IRAY. Just make sure you're using compatible lights and shaders or things will look weird. You can also render backgrounds on their own and the characters separately. Then you can easily use the Ren'py engine to load the characters onto the background screens. It might not be the "look" you're going for, but it's a way for you to render more quickly. Some have had success setting scenes up in daz3d, exporting to 3ds and rendering there. While this might result in faster render times, some work will be necessary in 3ds to make the textures and shaders look right. If 3d studio max is not an option, I imagine something similar could be done with blender which might also render faster on your macbook.

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Also try different hair styles in daz3d. Some hair styles take FOREVER to render.

groove888

Apr 12, 2017
Probably a stupid idea alltogether but you could probably fasten your rendering time by "adding" an egpu to your setup.

Problem is it cost time,money and require a little bit of know how. But might be worth it.

V

vaultcbc

I think i'm going to use some placeholder model and start creating a story preview, Probably i can create some character using photoshop but i'm not sure about animations. I'll check if blender is suitable for my needs. How long do you think it will take in order to render each picture?

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
That depends on many factors. Using 3delight in daz3d, I get relatively decent renders in about 20 minutes. Other rendering engines, the complexity of the scene and etc can drastically increase that time.

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
If rendering just a character with no background, things typically render in a few minutes. But if it seems "stuck" around the time it gets to their hair - who knows how long that might take as I usually cancel the render if I see no updates after 20-30 minutes. Like I mentioned before, some hair styles take FOREVER to render.

DukeBorric

Aug 5, 2016
Hi I can confirm what others have said; rendering the models and scenes separately will speed up times hugely, although the overall image wont be as good. some basic scenes with a single model included will also render quite quickly and I find that lighting has the biggest impact here. with regards to hairstyles unfortunately the better Iray ones really do slow the render down.

Archast

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2016
Some have had success setting scenes up in daz3d, exporting to 3ds and rendering there. While this might result in faster render times, some work will be necessary in 3ds to make the textures and shaders look right
I'm one of those, but daz hairs don't talk with 3ds max, no matter what I could try, so right now I'm stuck with daz again, but for the next game I'll make everything from ground in 3ds, the render times are so much better, not even mentioning the freedom it gives you.
@vaultcbc blender has a script to render the scenes made in daz, you could take a look at it ( ), I don't really know about blender, but I used the script and it worked like a charm, but as I couldn't figure out how to use blender correctly, I dropped it and returned for my trusty 3ds.

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
From all I've heard, Blender is as powerful as anything out there, but most find it's interface obtuse. So far, I'm just dealing with the limitations of Daz3d myself. Opted for 3delight as I can crank out a picture in anywhere from 5-20 minutes. I may need to figure out some stuff in either blender or vue though if I want to make my own custom "scenes". I have at least found some models and sets in daz3d to do *most* of what I am looking to accomplish.

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
After looking at many IRAY and 3Delight renders, I've noticed that 3delight definitely has more of a "cartoon" like appearance. However, IRAY, while more photorealistic, makes the models appear "mannequin like". Somehow making them look a little "tooney" makes them appear more "alive". I actually prefer the 3delight engine for this reason.

Archast

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2016
After looking at many IRAY and 3Delight renders, I've noticed that 3delight definitely has more of a "cartoon" like appearance. However, IRAY, while more photorealistic, makes the models appear "mannequin like". Somehow making them look a little "tooney" makes them appear more "alive". I actually prefer the 3delight engine for this reason.
That might be just from some images, take a look at the image I've provided as an attachment, this was made using Iray with daz, I don't think this kind of realism is possible with 3dlight, but again the limiting factor is you time and hardware, but as both are fine, it falls to user choice.

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
That render is better than most I've seen. Great job! Her right eye is a little crooked, but that is somewhat believable with her hand being on that side of her face. Here is one of my first test renders with 3delight.

Archast

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2016
That render is better than most I've seen. Great job! Her right eye is a little crooked, but that is somewhat believable with her hand being on that side of her face. Here is one of my first test renders with 3delight.
To be clear that is not my render, I've found it here: and your render is nice, how much time did it take?

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Setting up the scene, posing the character manually and rendering all took probably an hour or so. Not very long at all really, all things considered. I don't have much experience(none really) with any of this stuff, but I'm a quick learner.