• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Crashing to desktop

rlduck

Jan 18, 2021
Hey all,
I have only had this happen a few times but one thing I was told to do helped with one AVN but it started in another, which was making sure the game was running off the GPU. I use Nvidia GPU activity and made sure the game was using the gpu which that solved it for one case. Now that I have a new gaming laptop which is ten times better then the one I had it did it again today in My Pleasure 0.24 elite update, I'm not saying its the game, because I played the previous version 0.23 today which no problems before loading up the new update and the opening scene as soon as the animation started it dumped me.

I will attach the log file and traceback file so maybe someone will know what to look for, I'm still new to AVN's and have no clue how these things work as far as trouble shooting. I'd appreciate any help that can be given.

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
Try the following:
Hold down the Shift key, and without releasing it, start the game (or press Shift + G if you can reach the main menu without crashing).
A new screen should appear. In it, from the top left, change the renderer, press quit, start the game normally and see if it crashes again. If it does, start from the beginning and choose another renderer.

rlduck

Jan 18, 2021
Try the following:
Hold down the Shift key, and without releasing it, start the game (or press Shift + G if you can reach the main menu without crashing).
A new screen should appear. In it, from the top left, change the renderer, press quit, start the game normally and see if it crashes again. If it does, start from the beginning and choose another renderer.
I can get to the main menu its just as soon as the first animation starts it dumps me. I tried all of them and it crashed for them all. I was hopeful that it would work because it prompted me to update direct x but no.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
You are having opengl errors.

Do a clean install of your graphic drivers, remove everything and then install the latest version, it should solve the issue.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Hey all,
I have only had this happen a few times but one thing I was told to do helped with one AVN but it started in another, which was making sure the game was running off the GPU. I use Nvidia GPU activity and made sure the game was using the gpu which that solved it for one case. Now that I have a new gaming laptop which is ten times better then the one I had it did it again today in My Pleasure 0.24 elite update, I'm not saying its the game, because I played the previous version 0.23 today which no problems before loading up the new update and the opening scene as soon as the animation started it dumped me.

I will attach the log file and traceback file so maybe someone will know what to look for, I'm still new to AVN's and have no clue how these things work as far as trouble shooting. I'd appreciate any help that can be given.
Follow what Meaning Less stated - but you said this is a "new gaming laptop" that is 10x better than the one you had. Have you tried this version on your old computer?

The reason why I ask - is the "new" laptop new to you or "brand new"? It shows Windows 8 as your OS. While it might be reporting incorrectly, it is curious.

I also checked to make sure that the developer didn't update their Ren'Py version in this release. They did not. They are still using Ren'Py 7.3.5. ... It's version 7.4.X that can cause the most hiccups for some because it moved from software graphics acceleration to hardware.

rlduck

Jan 18, 2021
Follow what Meaning Less stated - but you said this is a "new gaming laptop" that is 10x better than the one you had. Have you tried this version on your old computer?

The reason why I ask - is the "new" laptop new to you or "brand new"? It shows Windows 8 as your OS. While it might be reporting incorrectly, it is curious.

I also checked to make sure that the developer didn't update their Ren'Py version in this release. They did not. They are still using Ren'Py 7.3.5. ... It's version 7.4.X that can cause the most hiccups for some because it moved from software graphics acceleration to hardware.
Yes its brand new and I sold my other sadly. Its the x17 from Alienware 3080 rtx 5ghz cpu 64 ram, I'm also running win 11 so not sure why it says I'm running win 8?

I will try what Meaning Less and see if it continues. Thank you both for taking time to help. Its much appreciated.

:Edit I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted came back and installed them tried again and still crashes.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
You are having opengl errors.
No he isn't, the log clearly state that Ren'Py use angle in place of OpenGL.

:Edit I uninstalled the drivers, rebooted came back and installed them tried again and still crashes.
What confuse me is that you said that you've a NVidia GPU, and make sure that the game use it. But what Ren'Py see is an Intel GPU (and it see it twice):
Renderer: 'Intel(R) UHD Graphics'
Version: '4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.9664'
Since you reinstalled the drivers, it removed my first guess (the OS using the default drivers).

So, are you sure that you plugged the monitor to the right output ?
Intel GPU are generally embedded to the motherboard, so there's (at least) two output for the monitor ; one for the embedded GPU, and (generally more than) one for the video card GPU. The GPU that will be used depending where the monitor is plugged.

If the monitor is plugged to the right output, there's still the option you brushed away, the one gave by Niv-Mizzet the Firemind . Since you changed your computer, it's perfectly possible that Ren'Py try to use "angle" because it's what was used with the previous one. So you need to tell Ren'Py that he need to rethink that. And pressing SHIFT while the game load, or pressing Alt + G is how you do it.

rlduck

Jan 18, 2021

What confuse me is that you said that you've a NVidia GPU, and make sure that the game use it. But what Ren'Py see is an Intel GPU (and it see it twice):

Since you reinstalled the drivers, it removed my first guess (the OS using the default drivers).

So, are you sure that you plugged the monitor to the right output ?
Intel GPU are generally embedded to the motherboard, so there's (at least) two output for the monitor ; one for the embedded GPU, and (generally more than) one for the video card GPU. The GPU that will be used depending where the monitor is plugged.

If the monitor is plugged to the right output, there's still the option you brushed away, the one gave by Niv-Mizzet the Firemind . Since you changed your computer, it's perfectly possible that Ren'Py try to use "angle" because it's what was used with the previous one. So you need to tell Ren'Py that he need to rethink that. And pressing SHIFT while the game load, or pressing Alt + G is how you do it.
Thank you for your help, I'm going to delete the traceback and log and make new ones but making sure that the game is using GPU. Its a laptop so not sure about what you said about the monitor. Holding shift and changing the renderer is what I have tried. I will try it again.

:Edit ok here is the new log and it says it's using Nvidia card. Still crashing.

Last edited:

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Angle still calls Opengl underneath... You can easily see all the memory errors inside the gl lib
Are you sure you are installing the correct drivers? Directly from nvidia? it sounds like you are still using generic drivers or drivers that are incompatible with your current SO.

Install geforce experience and it should get the right drivers for your system.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I'm using geforce experience
Make sure you also update your internal graphics then (the intel one).
Because notebooks tend to use both to split the work and if the nvidia one is working the problem might be with the intel one.

Notice what Count Morado mentioned also, If it is showing win8 it might be running in compatibility mode for some reason, make sure to run the game normally to avoid compatibility mistakes.
:Edit ok here is the new log and it says it's using Nvidia card. Still crashing.
Is there no traceback? the current log seem to end abruptly before even reaching the error part

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
do you have a save for the game

it looks like it's happening every time when it hit's here

Code:
File "game/18b.rpy", line 371, in script
    show 18307 with dissolve
does it happen every time the game goes into a animations?

wonder if he/she forgot to stop any animation before by using hide or stop command

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
And it still pass twice but the rendering initialization :/
More than everything else, it's what puzzle me here. Ren'Py can loop on this, but if it do it, it's before it write the "Total time until interface ready" line, what mean that it call "_gltest" twice. Bu this is supposed to not be possible, since the "_start" label is proceeded only once, right before the main menu is displayed for the first time. I took a look at the game code, and there's nothing in it changing this behavior.

The log.txt file is incoherent, and it bugs me :/ Do you use a mod with this game ?

Angle still calls Opengl underneath... You can easily see all the memory errors inside the gl lib
Angle do not call OpenGL. Angle is a successor of OpenGL standard. And what you see is the traceback is the name of the module used by Ren'Py. For constancy reason, and because angle derives from OpenGL, the modules for angle are all named "gl[something]".

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It still just calls opengl though. That's why it is called .
No, if Ren'Py use angle, it's because OpenGL is not available, or incomplete, therefore it's DirectX that will be called.

rlduck

Jan 18, 2021
The log.txt file is incoherent, and it bugs me :/ Do you use a mod with this game ?
Yes I was in the 0.23 version and the save has a mod installed, this version however the mod author hasn't updated his mod as of the time I downloaded this version.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Yes I was in the 0.23 version and the save has a mod installed, this version however the mod author hasn't updated his mod as of the time I downloaded this version.
Hmm. Since I really don't see what can make Ren'Py have this totally unexpected (and nearly impossible) behavior, try to see it the problem persist once the mod will be updated.
I can be wrong, but I really see nothing in the game itself, nor in Ren'Py, that could lead to this double initialization of the rendering part, so only the mod is left as possibility.

rlduck

Jan 18, 2021
Hmm. Since I really don't see what can make Ren'Py have this totally unexpected (and nearly impossible) behavior, try to see it the problem persist once the mod will be updated.
I can be wrong, but I really see nothing in the game itself, nor in Ren'Py, that could lead to this double initialization of the rendering part, so only the mod is left as possibility.
I just downloaded the mod and it still does it. I put turbo on my mouse and just clicked through the first part of the update where the troubling animation was and while I missed a lot of dialog it finally got past it and I rolled back until it got to the last part of the animation sequence and it crashed. I reloaded and it had a automatic save past the animation so I loaded it up and rolled back again until the scene right before the last part of the animation, I was able to read what was left but I still missed some which sucks. Thing is I read on until I got to another scene where there were animations and it was fine through that and didn't have a problem. So updating the mod didn't seemed to help but getting past that first scene which seemed to be the problem not knowing why but I'll keep this updated as I continue through the update and if I have any other problems I will report them but it looks like this has stumped y'all as well. I want to thank all of you that are trying to help, it is much appreciated. Thank you.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Thing is I read on until I got to another scene where there were animations and it was fine through that and didn't have a problem.
It's perhaps the animation that is the problem ; one of them having a little something that don't please your computer for whatever reason :/
Do you follow Natasha route (the mother of MC's friend) ? I took a look at the video for this update, and the last one for Natasha don't show a duration. VLC can read it, but it's clearly not something expected, and depending of the OS/hardware/driver, it can perfectly lead to trouble and a crash ; it's generally the sign that the header part of the video is at most malformed, at worse corrupted.
I don't know if it's effectively the cause of your problem, but it's the only problem I've seen.

If you want, open the file "[path to the game]/game/18b.rpy". Line 216 there's this:
image v24nat9 = Movie(play="videos/v24nat_9.webm")
replace it by :
image v24nat9 = Movie(play="videos/v24nat_8.webm")
It's 100% safe, it will just make the 8th video twice. It the whole sex scene will not be accurate because of this, but if I'm right the game should not crash.
At least it would permit you to see the dialogs you missed, and tell what was the problem.

Edit: I use the compressed version, so the "webm" extension is perhaps different, keep the one that is in the game.

rlduck

Jan 18, 2021
It's perhaps the animation that is the problem ; one of them having a little something that don't please your computer for whatever reason :/
Do you follow Natasha route (the mother of MC's friend) ? I took a look at the video for this update, and the last one for Natasha don't show a duration. VLC can read it, but it's clearly not something expected, and depending of the OS/hardware/driver, it can perfectly lead to trouble and a crash ; it's generally the sign that the header part of the video is at most malformed, at worse corrupted.
I don't know if it's effectively the cause of your problem, but it's the only problem I've seen.

If you want, open the file "[path to the game]/game/18b.rpy". Line 216 there's this:
image v24nat9 = Movie(play="videos/v24nat_9.webm")
replace it by :
image v24nat9 = Movie(play="videos/v24nat_8.webm")
It's 100% safe, it will just make the 8th video twice. It the whole sex scene will not be accurate because of this, but if I'm right the game should not crash.
At least it would permit you to see the dialogs you missed, and tell what was the problem.

Edit: I use the compressed version, so the "webm" extension is perhaps different, keep the one that is in the game.
Yes the whole scene with Nat was the problem, but only when the animations started. I just finished the update and all the other animations were fine. Other games so far (crossing fingers) have been ok.

On the changing the line I'd have to really study it like I said I'm totally new to this side of VN's I normally don't have a issue with them. I will try it and see.

Edit: Yes it still crashing when she is laying on her stomach giving him a bj as soon as the animation starts it crashes, even after changing the line :(

Last edited: