Unreal Engine - Abandoned - Cracking: The Second Strain [v0.3.8b] [Cr4ck]

1. 5.00 star(s)

JohnD33r

I've played through 2 of the 3 chapters of the game, and so far, I've LOVED this! There's seriously not enough contagious growth BE, and so I'm glad to see it here. While that was my original reason for downloading this, I'm happy to say that the gameplay is relatively fun as well once you get to the second chapter, and strategy starts to branch out a bit. Very well thought out and vividly described. I will say, one thing that I wish would be added to the game would be more visual elements to support the text throughout the game, but the art already present in the beginning (and minor bits later) provides enough of an understanding to overlook it (for the most part).
    A very text-heavy game, but that's not a bad thing. Great job, would like to see more similar to this.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

FartingRainbows

For [v0.3.8b][Abandoned]

The 3rd screenshot got my attention to download, but I hate [Text Based] games because they're usually always TL;DR and why should I imagine what I'm reading?!

1st Chapter is most interesting - yes it has a lot of TL;DR content but it also has the most (few) hand-drawn sexy artwork but still not as good as the 3rd screenshot in OP#1 imo.

2nd Chapter's contents can all be seen in less the 10 seconds if you speed-click "0_0"

3rd Chapter is the reason why [Unreal Engine] is used.. this's the first time I've ever seen an RPG-like 2D playfield in a [Text Based] game, which is quite interesting / intriguing. From what I gathered from my rather fastpaced quick click thru is a research of... something.. dunno. It shows cities in an almost topdown view.. you use mouse to select 1 of 4 cities... so not sure if it's to do with researching the population, or virus, or both to infect.

I reckon it would be best to resurrect this game again and turn it into a VN. I can tell a lot of [Text Based] games are made by young people with good eyesight because the writing is too small for those older or/and with poorer eyesight.. which is the case with this [TB] and it's only getting worse as time goes on. Would be a coincidence to why this was [Abandoned].

+ Like the hand draw artwork.
    + Like the idea of the RPG-like playfield in a [TB] game.

+1 Star for the artwork.
    -4 stars for eveything else including too many dead ends (killings) that come too quick making you start from the very start all over again.
  3. 1.00 star(s)

LokiSalmon

It's a text-based game that's been inexplicably ported to Unreal; with bad ends, missable content, and no way to save your progress or even step backwards from mistakes. There's a third chapter now, it's incredibly grindy and doesn't seem to have actual content yet.

Sadly, this one needs a lot more work. Without saves and as grindy as it is, I simply can't give it more than one star. It's a hard skip for now, unless you like like lots of clicking with very little payoff.
  4. 4.00 star(s)

Deleted member 601110

Cons:
    - - Clunky Interface, moving between the different parts of town can be quite frustarting.
    -Limited choices, you move to different Locations, let the events play out, rest at your HQ and repeat.
    Pros:
    +Basic humor in some events.
    +Art (Though limited in quantity, the quality offsets that con.)
    ++Great Writing (Whenever you infect a new part of the town, it's always rewarded with some good scenes.

What I would love to see in future updates:
    -A bit more varitey in the dialoge.
    -More art

All in all, pretty good.