• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Daz Copyrighted Music in Game.

Oct 16, 2017
Basically I just want to know if the F95Zone Admins/Mods/Community , the original owners or else on the web will come knocking if I decide to put Copyrighted music from other videogames in my game.

For context I was thinking of putting some Mass Effect music in my game as the premise is quite similar.

EDIT: Oh and for transparency I'm not planning on charging money for the game or doing a patreon or anything of that kind. Just a guy making a game for fun and sharing it.

Sleeping In Pieces

Mar 16, 2019
Depends on the copyright owners. Bear in mind you putting it up on your games without paying royalties means they're not making money off of it.

Vollezar

Gingers are love. Gingers are life.
Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020
Basically I just want to know if the F95Zone Admins/Mods/Community , the original owners or else on the web will come knocking if I decide to put Copyrighted music from other videogames in my game.

For context I was thinking of putting some Mass Effect music in my game as the premise is quite similar.

EDIT: Oh and for transparency I'm not planning on charging money for the game or doing a patreon or anything of that kind. Just a guy making a game for fun and sharing it.
Regardless of whether you are charging for the game or not, you have to ask for permission to use their music. They treat as "You are using our material to promote your product". Not everyone would like their product to appear in something they might not approve of. That's pretty much from the legal standpoint. They might (and likely will) take an issue with you using their music without permission, if they do find out about it.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Regardless of whether you are charging for the game or not, you have to ask for permission to use their music. They treat as "You are using our material to promote your product". Not everyone would like their product to appear in something they might not approve of. That's pretty much from the legal standpoint. They might (and likely will) take an issue with you using their music without permission, if they do find out about it.
They likely won't go after a dev who isn't actively making some level of an income off their product. It isn't worth their time. Worst case would likely be a C&D, or requested removal of the audio.

Reactions: Vollezar

Vollezar

Gingers are love. Gingers are life.
Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020
They likely won't go after a dev who isn't actively making some level of an income off their product. It isn't worth their time. Worst case would likely be a C&D, or requested removal of the audio.
Yup. I am just talking from the time they did that to me. On one of the videos I made I used music that was actually royalty free. Sadly I couldn't prove that the recording I used was royalty free and not one recorded by one of the major studios. Just a piece of classical music. I wasn't making any money on the video at all. Just something I did for fun. Not even anything NSFW.
But yeah, it was exactly that condition. Remove the music or remove the video altogether since there was no income on it.

Reactions: Lou111

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
You'd be breaking the law. However, your tiny game is unlikely to ever get noticed by the copyright holder (pretty much the same as all the other copyright infringements littering the internet).

If you're worried about it, use music/sounds with implied or explicit consent. Creative Commons, etc.

Since F95 don't actually host games (only provide links to other sources), they might be contacted under the DMCA to remove the link. Though more likely, any copyright holder would go directly to the hosting company and get the file removed at source. It's possibly why links disappear some of the time.

"Don't get caught" or "Don't do it". Simple enough.

Reactions: Lou111
Oct 16, 2017
Cheers for the input guys, I'll just be looking to use Royalty free music, I've also got a subscription for Epidemic Sound too so I can use their music.

Also " your tiny game " I realise what you mean but damn that hurts kekw

• Haha
Reactions: 79flavors