Compressing... Help :(

• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
So anyone here knows of great and I mean great ways of compressing files? I have in my computer around 250gb of files that I will look in the future at but as of yet I dont need them. I would like them to stay but I dont want them occupying that space. I dont care for decompression time, I dont care how long it takes to compress (I dont want to spend a day compressing just 1 file but you know what i mean, common sense :) ). So anyone? (if you say rar or zip I'm going to murder you)

Pararock

Aug 17, 2016
There's a limit to what you can compress losslessly. What kind of files are you talking? Documents? Images? Videos?

Pararock

Aug 17, 2016
Except running them in something like ffmpeg to compress them more(losing some quality in the process), there's isn't much you could do.

TCMS

Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Except running them in something like ffmpeg to compress them more(losing some quality in the process), there's isn't much you could do.
Yeah I had a talk with someone in the chat and he said the same thing :/ /rip :(

Pararock

Aug 17, 2016
I use handbrake to rip DVD. You might look at it to make it easier to mass convert than a commandline program.

TCMS

Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
I use handbrake to rip DVD. You might look at it to make it easier to mass convert than a commandline program.
I've also used handbrake for a movie that wasnt available anywhere at the time but I refuse to use it to any movie I have on my computer as I value quality above anything else :(

Pararock

Aug 17, 2016
If you have the bandwidth, you could try to save them on the cloud temporary. As long as you don't share them, you can save pretty much anything on the cloud.

TCMS

Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
If you have the bandwidth, you could try to save them on the cloud temporary. As long as you don't share them, you can save pretty much anything on the cloud.
Only about 2-3 days a week I get good enough bandwith to do this... and during the rest of the days I might need the files :FeelsBadMan:

Pararock

Aug 17, 2016
Seems like you need to invest in a new HDD.

Did you cleanup your computer? Run Windows diskcleanup(dont forget to click on clean system files), run windirstat to see where you space is used.

TCMS

Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Seems like you need to invest in a new HDD.

Did you cleanup your computer? Run Windows diskcleanup(dont forget to click on clean system files), run windirstat to see where you space is used.
Always cleaning up. I already have external harddrives that save other information. New HDD would be a great solution but moneys :/

jackkane

Engaged Member
Sep 4, 2016
Always cleaning up. I already have external harddrives that save other information. New HDD would be a great solution but moneys :/
get one from vinny who sales them from the back of a truck.:FeelsGoodMan: