Chrome and HTML saving issues

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
So I use Chrome for HTML games and I've encountered an issue of where I apparently reached the limit of file size that I can save from HTML games because Chrome has a limit. Started while playing a certain game that I guess has massive save files and the solution was just stop using multiple save slots and delete (or in my case save over with fresh save cause idk where chrome saves the games at) the multiple saves. I have plenty of room on my hard drive and I want to know how to either increase or get rid of the data limit that chrome has set. I could switch to Firefox which is my main browser but I like Chrome's handling of the console more than Firefox's.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
It should be under Chrome settings and cache, type in settings in the address bar (chrome://settings/) and change the amount of space Chrome is allowed to use. I think the setting is under the advanced header.

EDIT: I've had a dig around in Chrome and it appears to be one of the hidden settings - Try this to change the setting -

Last edited:
Reactions: Thatguy

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
look at bottom of save menu you should have an option to save to disk.I use this method as it places a save on your hard drive,Useful if you clear your browser frequently

save.png

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Not all games have a save to disk option. Path To Paradise is the game that brought this issue forward and it doesn't have the save to disk option.

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
Not all games have a save to disk option. Path To Paradise is the game that brought this issue forward and it doesn't have the save to disk option.
Just dl'd and had a look 1st one i have seen that doesn't have that option

Unfortunately i don't use chrome so cant really give any input as to the workings

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I pre-emptively moved this to solved. I can't find anything to increase the limit in the setting/idk where to look to increase the limit. I did test some stuff but it wasn't what I was looking for because encountered the issue with Path to Paradise again where it couldn't save. That game is a mess, it's got potential but at the same time is buggy and annoying. Only 1 bug that prevents 1 character from being fully obtainable without messing with the game a bit and an vague hint system but if you follow a guide/figure out what to do and have either Notepad++ or the modified HTML I made then it's fine.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
The value you are looking for is hardcoded. The user is not supposed to change it, I think: not even through the JS console (if I'm not mistaken, it is set in , line 231: 5242880 bytes = 5MB).
I fear you must find a Chrome-based browser with a higher or customizable threshold (Vivaldi? Brave?). Or you recompile the browser or hack it somehow.

The code says: This value will be ignored if the extension has the "unlimitedStorage" permission but I don't know how to do this with a browser. Afaik a manifest is attached to a app: a solution could be to "wrap" the game around a framework, such as Electron or NW.js.

Jef17904

Dec 28, 2018
HI recently games that did not make MacOs version most had a www version, but recently for some reason both chrome or firefox gives a mistake error data/actors.json not found, the folder there I checked, its not only one game many recent ones do this and also not able to save some www. or macOS games any help?