Can't open .exe files of Ren'Py games [SOLVED]

Nosuga

Dec 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm running into the same error every time I try to start Summertime Saga and Acting Lessons, guess the same would happen with other modern Ren'Py games (Katawa Shoujo runs fine though). The error message reads

'Could not execute c:\games\acting lessons\actinglessons-0.7.0-pc\lib\windows-i686\actinglessons.exe .exe. Is it missing?'

I'm not running an antivirus program, I've whitelisted the .exe in Windows Defender and I tried running it as administrator / in compatibility mode. I also installed the latest DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ versions. Those were all the suggestions I could find via google.

Can anyone please help me?

Reactions: Zack playboy95

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm running into the same error every time I try to start Summertime Saga and Acting Lessons, guess the same would happen with other modern Ren'Py games (Katawa Shoujo runs fine though). The error message reads

'Could not execute c:\games\acting lessons\actinglessons-0.7.0-pc\lib\windows-i686\actinglessons.exe .exe. Is it missing?'

I'm not running an antivirus program, I've whitelisted the .exe in Windows Defender and I tried running it as administrator / in compatibility mode. I also installed the latest DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ versions. Those were all the suggestions I could find via google.

Can anyone please help me?
First, did you download the correct version of Acting Lessons for your operating system?
Second, make sure you start the game by running the ActingLessons.exe file located in the main directory of your game folder:

Capture.JPG

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
Did you check yor security program, mine likes to contain exe's without mentioning, so they won't start up
2nd that one check your AV quarantine Renpy is notorious for throwing up false positives. You will then need to restore the file to its location and white list it (basically tell your AV it is not infected )

Nosuga

Dec 8, 2018
First, did you download the correct version of Acting Lessons for your operating system?
Second, make sure you start the game by running the ActingLessons.exe file located in the main directory of your game folder:

View attachment 194986

Yes, I did download the windows version and I used the file you highlighted.

Did you check yor security program, mine likes to contain exe's without mentioning, so they won't start up.
2nd that one check your AV quarantine Renpy is notorious for throwing up false positives. You will then need to restore the file to its location and white list it (basically tell your AV it is not infected )
I don't use an AV besides Windows Defender and I already tried deactivating it.

I'm going to install a couple of other games to check if it's a general problem with Ren'Py or a specific problem with these two games.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I googled your problem and I have found two possible solutions:

1. Whitelist it in your Antivirus:
I know you already said you tried to disable it but, just like it is pointed out here: the antivirus may have deleted the executable, so disabling it after it has been deleted won't do much... If anything you would have to redownload it while having the antivirus disabled but that's unsafe, so look into whitelisting it instead.

2. Corrupted runtimes:
I also found: in which someone had a similar problem and solved it by reinstalling their runtimes that had previously got corrupted.

Nosuga

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks for your replies, I figured out a really weird solution.

I located the .exe file that was supposedly missing in the \lib\windows-i686\ folder. I started it directly from there and got another error message that read almost the same, except it said that "ActingLessons-0.7.0-pc\ActingLessons.epy" was missing. That file was there, but it was named "ActingLessons.py", so I switched the name to "ActingLessons.epy" and now it works, but only if I start the game from the \lib\windows-i686\ folder and not from the main folder.

I'm still a bit dumbfounded about how that worked, but oh well. Hopefully this will help someone else who ends up running into the same issue.

Ethanplaino

Jul 21, 2020
exe file that was supposedly missing in the

I located the .exe file that was supposedly missing in the \lib\windows-i686\ folder. I started it directly from there and got another error message that read almost the same, except it said that "ActingLessons-0.7.0-pc\ActingLessons.epy" was missing. That file was there, but it was named "ActingLessons.py", so I switched the name to "ActingLessons.epy" and now it works, but only if I start the game from the \lib\windows-i686\ folder and not from the main folder.

I'm still a bit dumbfounded about how that worked, but oh well. Hopefully this will help someone else who ends up running into the same issue.
Lol dude, I thought it was bullshit but I tried and it actually worked, nice job!

eros420

Aug 25, 2020
Altoke roke me re sirvio wachin gracielaaa

N1ghTy

Mar 12, 2020

bruhhhh ! how did u find this? u are a lifesaver!

Anime Aoi

May 26, 2018

how do you switch the name because for some reason its not working for me.

Mar 24, 2020
can you guy tell my why i download a game renpy and in inside the folder Lib have the folder windows-i686 alway disappear all the flie is it important 1650775619396.png

thienan865608

Sep 6, 2023

Dude, nice Work bro. i do samething and It's work. Special Tks to you <3