Ren'Py can-t open games

Fr3nki

Oct 12, 2017
Have anyone found solution so far?
I contacted ren'py dev says it could be problem with new AMD software , i know that games worked perfectly fine on AMD Crimson 16.12.2 but now when i installed Adrenalin 2020 none of them want to start .So did anyone found solution for running Ren'py games with AMD Adrenalin 2020?

tt04cy

Apr 24, 2019
Having a similar problem, on both my computers :

-Downloaded a newer version of a renpy game
-RUNS FINE (even if i close and re-open it) for like 12hours
-Coming back next day, can't open it : Right click, running as administrator, troubleshooting compatibility version, switching between my hard drives and SSDs nothing does it. I click, 2 to 3 sec of loading, then nothing. like nothing at ALL
-Looked up the log file, it looks like this :

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.10s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.08s
Loading error handling took 0.24s
Loading script took 4.19s

-Others ren'py game run just fine.
-Tried re-dowloading it from different sources 4 times, unzipped 2 times in different places for each download.
-The problem is EXACTLY the same on both my PCs, so it's not a hardware problem. I have one AMD Ryzen, and one intel.

I usually nail to solve most of my IT problems alone but this time i have to admit that i don't understand. I like this game, but knowing that i can't solve this problems tilts me so much ahah

Can some kind of Ren'Py guru help me ?
Thanks

Fr3nki

Oct 12, 2017
My fix was to download latest SDK and Rebuild game with it , which contains 64bit executable with it i can run again Ren-py games but i have to rebuild every game that doesn't have 64bit execuatable

HERUTHEFALCON

Mar 13, 2018
btw i solve my problem by moving the game file to my main disk (C) next to program files :) . So maybe, the problem is that putting the game file into pile of file (for hiding purpose of course :D ). Somehow game cannot run itself in this circumcitance.
I know this is Super Old,But for anyone using Windows 7. This works if your game doesn't load

Ludnick

May 25, 2020
Had the same problem while trying to play Fetish Locator. Solved it by changing FL folder to Desktop, i don't know why but that solved it.

Reactions: Darkpassenger14
Jul 16, 2021
Had the same problem while trying to play Fetish Locator. Solved it by changing FL folder to Desktop, i don't know why but that solved it.
Don't know why but this worked. A bit annoying to have to put the games on Desktop every time I want to play them, but hey, better than not being able to play them at all I guess.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Don't know why but this worked. A bit annoying to have to put the games on Desktop every time I want to play them, but hey, better than not being able to play them at all I guess.
Sounds like you two extracted your games into a folder where you have no permission to write. Likely a folder that does not belong to your Windows account (the owner of the folder is not your Windows user).
By extracting the game onto your desktop you extracted it into the Desktop folder inside your Windows user profile. The whole profile belongs to your Windows user, including the desktop and you have permission to write there, so Ren'Py can run there and write its save files, including the persistent save file into the game/saves subfolder.

Ren'Py (and many other game engines) needs the permission to write into its subfolders. It means that you either have to extract the game into a folder that belongs to your Windows user or you have to change NTFS security settings of the folder, take ownership.
All folders inside your Windows user profile (usually C:\Users\<your windows user name>) belong to your Windows user. Everything that is outside of that profile folder, do not.
If you want to run your games from somewhere outside your user profile, you have to take ownership of the folder you extracted your games into:
https://f95zone.to/threads/some-games-do-not-work-properly-when-placed-in-d-drive.91090/post-6364826

Zaneshett

Jan 28, 2019
just installed windows 10 and now i cant open any renpy games. it just wont launch, not even one error, but the mouse shows the loading sign.
I already notice that this message is translated by Google Translate.

First: Send a game shortcut to an empty folder.
Second: Hold down the SHIFT button and start the game.
Third: Change available settings, vary by computer.
Fourth: press QUIT, and restarted the game.

Repeat the process as many times as needed on different settings if it doesn't work the first time.