Can i use the 3d models bundle that people post in the asset section in this forum?

Anilanto22

Dec 12, 2022
Hi everyone,
I am developing a new adult visual novel (using daz and renpy + blender) and i have some doubts regarding the 3d human characters and the environment or props that people post in this asset forum section. Can i use it for my game? Is there will be any legal issues by using them?.
For my game i really need some characters so buying all from daz store will be a budget problem. So i was searching for models and found this asset section and there is so many assets that i really want to use.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Most of them are not free to use. They are pirated. You're unlikely to get into legal trouble though.

fyl3toys

Dec 24, 2021
I probably wouldn't try to sell a game on steam with them, but anything else....

Anilanto22

Dec 12, 2022
Most of them are not free to use. They are pirated. You're unlikely to get into legal trouble though.
Thanks.
i need to buy the model if I want to use them for my game. Am I correct?
What if I buy a model and use morphs to create another character? Is that possible? Can i use a single model to create different characters.
I am completely new to this area and learning to develop a game. So if I am wrong please correct me. Thanks in advance

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks.
i need to buy the model if I want to use them for my game. Am I correct?
What if I buy a model and use morphs to create another character? Is that possible? Can i use a single model to create different characters.
I am completely new to this area and learning to develop a game. So if I am wrong please correct me. Thanks in advance
Yes you can apply morphs to a character to get different looks. If you're looking at it legally though, it's still just as much piracy. If you use something and don't have the license needed for it, you're in the wrong. No idea how often anyone get contacted by a creator to verify that they own it. I've never heard of it happening, except for the more extensive 3d live animation something, something license that is unlikely to concern you.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
No idea how often anyone get contacted by a creator to verify that they own it. I've never heard of it happening, except for the more extensive 3d live animation something, something license that is unlikely to concern you.
Interactive Licenses. Unless you're making a game in Unreal, or anything with a free roaming character from Daz (or environment, for that matter.), you won't need that license.

As for Daz piracy itself. . .yeah. It's probably never happened. There's just not enough manpower to hunt down every medium or every game or comic and ask them for proof of license. It's just unrealistic. But as you said, it doesn't make it okay. It's still a shit thing to do to someone who's barely seeing any return versus the amount of time invested into it.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Interactive Licenses. Unless you're making a game in Unreal, or anything with a free roaming character from Daz (or environment, for that matter.), you won't need that license.

As for Daz piracy itself. . .yeah. It's probably never happened. There's just not enough manpower to hunt down every medium or every game or comic and ask them for proof of license. It's just unrealistic. But as you said, it doesn't make it okay. It's still a shit thing to do to someone who's barely seeing any return versus the amount of time invested into it.
Interactive license, that was it, yeah :)

My principle for daz assets is never, ever buy anything without testing it first. Some products look great in promotion photos, then you try to use it and some things are just shit and useless.

Anyone who is a game dev must also understand the principle that if people pirate everything, you won't make any money from your invested dev time either. If you can't afford everything, make a list of what you use and buy the better stuff and slowly work off your debt as you go along (or see it increase if you continuously add new stuff to your game faster than you buy them). But at least you're contributing.

Reactions: MissFortune