Ren'Py Can I change the Python version of the Ren'Py game?

david12x1

Dec 22, 2021
Some Ren'Py games use Python version 3.9 or higher, which does not work on my system.

Can I independently replace Python with a version lower than 3.9?
Or can I replace Python with this ?

I tried just replacing lib\python3.9 folder with the patched version, python.exe works, but the game won't run.
Is there anything else you need to change?

pointedfox117

Jun 14, 2022
Hello.
I'm not sure about Python. I'm not a big fan of Python so I don't exactly no the specifics. but I was able to look up something that might be able to assist you.

I hope this helps you resolve your issues and best of luck

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Some Ren'Py games use Python version 3.9 or higher, which does not work on my system.

I tried just replacing lib\python3.9 folder with the patched version, python.exe works, but the game won't run.
Is there anything else you need to change?
You would be more likely to solve your problem on the (home of Renpy developer @PyTom).

Actually if you report the problem there you might get help from Pytom himself to solve the bug - he always is willing to investigate such problems.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The version 3.9 do not works on Windows 7 or earlier, therefore on OS that are at least 14yo (11yo if you take count of the last release). I guess that Python wouldn't be your only issue with Ren'Py.

You can always try, but you'll also have to downgrade all the modules, and will have no guaranty that Ren'Py will still works correctly.

I doubt...
"python39.dll", that is, to simplify, the core of Python, take 4 MB, while "libpython3.9.dll", that is the equivalent for Ren'Py, take 8 MB... PyTom clearly compiled his own version, grouping in one place more than just the content of the original library.
Therefore, it's possible that it works when putting all the DLL, but you also have to replace "pythonw.exe", "python.exe", and "renpy.exe", and there's no guaranty that "libpython3.9.dll" don't include more that what you got.