• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Cabin Cruise [0.21.0] [Jolly Monk]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Sylaann

Nov 4, 2020
I wonder, is the art yours? It looks like you just select/cut with photoshop ^^'

Also why name the MC in the 2-3 first dialogue if we can change our name later, feels weird (first officer MC is strange too)

Shouldn't Cap'in be written Capt'n ? And Possiden, really? i'm pretty sure there isn't anything preventing using Poseidon's name X)

Do you read your text out and a device translate it in written english? Because it would explain a lot of mistakes in what I read. You should really have someone correct your work. I won't go any further because it's such a hassle but good luckwith your game, I hope it improve withfurther releases ;)

Last edited:

JollyMonk

Game Developer
Jun 30, 2023
I wonder, is the art yours? It looks like you just select/cut with photoshop ^^'

Also why name the MC in the 2-3 first dialogue if we can change our name later, feels weird (first officer MC is strange too)

Shouldn't Cap'in be written Capt'n ? And Possiden, really? i'm pretty sure there isn't anything preventing using Poseidon's name X)

Do you read your text out and a device translate it in written english? Because it would explain a lot of mistakes in what I read. You should really have someone correct your work. I won't go any further because it's such a hassle but good luckwith your game, I hope it improve withfurther releases ;)
Hi Sylaann,

Thank you for the feedback and comments. Positive and negatives help me grow as a creator!

To respond to your comments.

The art starts as AI to help generate a concept and act as a placeholder to see if I like how I feel before I get it updated into the style you see on the main character, captain and activities director (The activities director went through 3 different concepts before settling on this). Although I used a feather tool to try and smooth out the edges as you've noted it's not worked too well! However this will be fixed once swapped from placeholder status.

MC was the short hand for "main character", the game was sort of rewritten a few times when I added features and it seems bits of the original slipped through.

You're right on the spelling! I suppose without a proof reader I'd become somewhat blind to my mistakes.

Again thank you for taking the time to give feedback!

JollyMonk

Game Developer
Jun 30, 2023
Version 0.2 Released.

This took longer than expected as my roof developed a chronic case of falling down so all budget went to that instead.
So for this I've done what I can and tidied up behind the scenes now I'm getting the hang of it all.

As before any feedback is welcome and the next release is where things will really set sail for you horn dogs, I promise.

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux
: - - -
Mac: - -

Falyna

Aug 8, 2021
Version 0.2 Released.

This took longer than expected as my roof developed a chronic case of falling down so all budget went to that instead.
So for this I've done what I can and tidied up behind the scenes now I'm getting the hang of it all.

As before any feedback is welcome and the next release is where things will really set sail for you horn dogs, I promise.

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux
: MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN - WORKUPLOAD
Mac: MEGA - WORKUPLOAD -
Hi,

I tried to play in Joiplay but got an error right at launch:

```
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/intro.rpy", line 38: end of line expected.
(Perhaps you left out a " at the end of the first line.)
"""
I made a promise to myself, that I would honor their memory by carving my own path, by becoming a captain in my own right.

So, I set sail on different ships, seeking experience, honing my skills, and building a reputation.

I faced challenges, but I emerged stronger with each trial.

Now I've been contacted by a friend of my late father. A captain himself.

With the opportunity to become the first officer on his cruise ship.

I accepted without hesitation.

Now to sail forward, carrying the legacy of "The Aurora Star" within me, and forging my own destiny!
^
"""

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Sun Dec 31 09:09:53 2023
```

Tango69

Nov 10, 2023
Not to be set in stone - but I hope the roof issues are gone and we will get an update roughly when ? :)

JollyMonk

Game Developer
Jun 30, 2023
Not to be set in stone - but I hope the roof issues are gone and we will get an update roughly when ? :)
Roof issues gone, nice and dry now! :cool:

I've got the artwork for the new scenes, testing out some artists to see what works best for the project. I'm targeting the next release for next Friday (23rd) or better!

Sketch attached for a bit of a tease. Thank you for chasing up, knowing there's people out there interested in the next release gives me even more motivation! 0-21-0.png

JollyMonk

Game Developer
Jun 30, 2023
Hi,

I tried to play in Joiplay but got an error right at launch:

```
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/intro.rpy", line 38: end of line expected.
(Perhaps you left out a " at the end of the first line.)
"""
I made a promise to myself, that I would honor their memory by carving my own path, by becoming a captain in my own right.

So, I set sail on different ships, seeking experience, honing my skills, and building a reputation.

I faced challenges, but I emerged stronger with each trial.

Now I've been contacted by a friend of my late father. A captain himself.

With the opportunity to become the first officer on his cruise ship.

I accepted without hesitation.

Now to sail forward, carrying the legacy of "The Aurora Star" within me, and forging my own destiny!
^
"""

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Sun Dec 31 09:09:53 2023
```
Hi Falyna,

Does this error still occur if skipping the intro?
I think it might be caused by the method used for the intro text. This will be changed for the next release but it'd be good to know what's causing it.

Thank you

Falyna

Aug 8, 2021
Hi Falyna,

Does this error still occur if skipping the intro?
I think it might be caused by the method used for the intro text. This will be changed for the next release but it'd be good to know what's causing it.

Thank you
Hi,

Thanks for replying I can't even skip the intro; the game starts on this error with the only options being "Reload" or "Open" (discounting the options to format the error).

Good to know you'll try to fix it

JollyMonk

Game Developer
Jun 30, 2023
Build 0.21.0 Released
Slight modification to the numbering system to help me keep track of bug fix versions etc.

Continuing the story with Leona from where 0.2 left off while also giving a large focus on Victoria and her troubles.

This build has also given me a chance to experiment with different art styles. There's some AI art acting as minor placeholders to let me continue the story but these will be retroactively removed once I have a firmer grasp on the art direction.

Keeping the art style consistent with the sprites slows progress massively, while some deviation speeds it up massively. Let me know what you like/don't like!

As before, feedback welcome!

Next build to work around on Emily, Serena/Leo.

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux
: - MEGA - PIXELDRAIN - WORKUPLOAD
Mac: - MEGA - PIXELDRAIN - WORKUPLOAD

Falyna

Aug 8, 2021
Build 0.21.0 Released
Slight modification to the numbering system to help me keep track of bug fix versions etc.

Continuing the story with Leona from where 0.2 left off while also giving a large focus on Victoria and her troubles.

This build has also given me a chance to experiment with different art styles. There's some AI art acting as minor placeholders to let me continue the story but these will be retroactively removed once I have a firmer grasp on the art direction.

Keeping the art style consistent with the sprites slows progress massively, while some deviation speeds it up massively. Let me know what you like/don't like!

As before, feedback welcome!

Next build to work around on Emily, Serena/Leo.

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux
: - MEGA - PIXELDRAIN - WORKUPLOAD
Mac: - MEGA - PIXELDRAIN - WORKUPLOAD
Hi,

The good news is, I no longer have the errors I posted.

The bad news, I now have a brand new error on launching (still on Joiplay, Android)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

JollyMonk

Game Developer
Jun 30, 2023
Hi,

The good news is, I no longer have the errors I posted.

The bad news, I now have a brand new error on launching (still on Joiplay, Android)

[/SPOILER]
I'm not that familiar with Joiplay, although a google of it combined with renpy seems to bring up a few other people with issues as well.

I've seen one quote which might be of help
" I know that JoiPlay by default sets games as made for Python 2 (Ren'Py 7 or below), so this could be the problem. Try checking the game settings in JoiPlay app, check the option that controls the engine version to be used, and change it to Python 3"

To change " Press and hold the game icon until an options menu appears, select "Edit", then change "Type" option from "Ren'Py" to "Ren'Py (Python 3)""

Would you mind trying this please to see if that helps on your device?

Reactions: Falyna

Falyna

Aug 8, 2021
I'm not that familiar with Joiplay, although a google of it combined with renpy seems to bring up a few other people with issues as well.

I've seen one quote which might be of help
" I know that JoiPlay by default sets games as made for Python 2 (Ren'Py 7 or below), so this could be the problem. Try checking the game settings in JoiPlay app, check the option that controls the engine version to be used, and change it to Python 3"

To change " Press and hold the game icon until an options menu appears, select "Edit", then change "Type" option from "Ren'Py" to "Ren'Py (Python 3)""

Would you mind trying this please to see if that helps on your device?
Hi,

I don't seem to find the option to set the type to Ren'Py Python 3.

Doesn't matter, I'll play it on my computer once it comes back.

Thanks for trying to help me!

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote