Burnt out game-devs

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, so I can't call myself a game developer yet (you usually actually have to release a game for that), but I do concur with what the others have said, there's a lot of good advice here.

The thing you just said about other's expectations...

Letting things/situation/people pressure you into doing something, well some people thrive on that, others deal with it, and for some it just really throws off your mojo.

Just remember it's your story and your vision, and not anyone else's. Sure, if you have a Patreon, etc. there will be people asking for things, and of course if you've promised and are falling short that can be an issue, plus keeping the revenue up can be a source of stress...

In these situations, just don't over-promise and work at the speed you are comfortable at. And yeah, don't be afraid to mix things up a bit, or to take a breather if needed. And remember that that speed may vary from day to day. Sure, you want to keep moving forward, just don't fall into the trap of setting high targets here.

Plus, if you end up delivering more than people are expecting on a release, then you look like Scotty the Miracle Worker, so if you are publishing goals, keep those published goals very reasonable and conservative. This makes you feel good when you exceed them, and your patrons/fans are happy that you didn't over-promise something. Your own personal goal bar can be higher, just keep it to yourself. That way you disappoint only one person if you don't hit a personal goal.

And, if you got into the making games thing mainly for fun, well you want to keep it fun. That's where getting occasionally sidetracked doing slilly renders or just being goofy to break up the monotony can help. Once it becomes a grinding job, yeah that's when the soul sucking begins, so you need to find your own balance here...

Of course, I am quite a bit slower than others here r.e. generating content, but once I realized that cranking out dozens of renders a day/week wasn't for me, and accepted that... well I took a long breather and then eased my way back into things, and I'm much happier now.

It's your vision, that you've chosen to share with others, so don't be afraid to do things your way. Sure, there will be critics out there (there always are), and constructive criticism can help, but trust your own instincts and vision, and make it your own.

Sure, learning and improving as you go along is a good thing, but don't let you trip this up. As uradamus mentioned above, don't be afraid to make mistakes, and (adding to that) everything doesn't have to be perfect all the time. Sure, fix the obvious mistakes, but sometimes you can let a little thing or two go, or just 'fix' it in post with Photoshop or whatever.

But of course, as mentioned above, YOU need to be reasonably happy with the results. If you find yourself going down a path that just isn't your thing (say a series of renders that are falling flat with you), yeah don't be afraid to just chock it up as a learning thing, set them aside, and try something else.

Hope this perspective helps!

Akatriel

May 20, 2017
As a game dev you are wearing many hats. You are a programmer, artist, marketeer, community outreach, CEO etc. When you get burnt out on one thing, tackle another. Even better, switch jobs before you become sick of one aspect of it.

Or just walk away for abit. Walk the dog. Chat up a stranger. Have actual sex. lol

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Actual sex? what's that?

As a game dev you are wearing many hats. You are a programmer, artist, marketeer, community outreach, CEO etc. When you get burnt out on one thing, tackle another. Even better, switch jobs before you become sick of one aspect of it.

Or just walk away for abit. Walk the dog. Chat up a stranger. Have actual sex. lol

Reactions: Akatriel

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
Sorry to comment on old post, but in my active days as "professional slave" (3D animator worker :oops:) , pack your main project/job, side project and future-in-planing project only in Monday to Friday. Use Saturday & Sunday fully for taking break, or any day you choose if you're not office worker ... just plan 5 days to work and 2 days for total relaxation in a week. You don't want your client to get angry nor your body & mental condition to betray you in the daily routine.

If you're taking break ... it's done. It's like you're saying to your boss, "Boss, I'm taking a break" ... good luck with the chances of the boss gonna accept (or not) for you to be back when the "taking break" is over, or if you still have interest in the old job.

Maybe at this level it's still can be done and get pardoned since you probably never face2face with your patron in the internet world. But I hate the idea of Developer/worker compromise this habit. Please treat your patron as a real client. How do you feel when you're ordering a coffee or food in a cafe and the worker suddenly saying in your face ... "I'm taking a break." ... yet you really want that coffee !

And depend on the time of "taking break". If it just a couple days, nothing bad. But if it a couple weeks, it will be some trouble, let alone taking a full month break. When you're back, you're like have to re-insert all the on-hold-data project back to your brain, which I guarantee you, it will be very awful moment.

In short ... Been there, done that, avoid it at all cost. Better fix you're weekly schedule and sort it out. My recommendation, 1 week-5 days of fully packed working schedule-2 days of fully relaxation.

In another case, if you're became stuck up with the current project because of losing fresh idea &/or getting bored ... better than "taking a break", just rush it and finishing it. Take the shame and eat it, like Big Brother's Dark Silver. Better to it than "On-Hold" to eventually "Abandoned". It's your reputation who's in question, and bad habit ... once you do one, you'll have a chance of repeating it.

Like I mention "Been there, done that" ... in my case, I'm not game developer tho, my boss accept me back to the team after 3 weeks taking break. My first mistake was to finish the project quickly so I can relax later far before the deadline ends ... but forcing your body only result your body will betray you in the end. Second mistake was coming back to my old job and it still working the same project. I have to re-adjust for everything and in result, I'm slowing down the progression, passing deadline and bad reception from the client.

Didn't want to attack anyone, just hoping my experience can teach you something. Good Luck on developing, Dev.