VN Ren'Py Blood and Principle Development Thread [BloodAndPrinciple]

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Promo_Banner.jpg

Lying across the equator, the Kingdom of Montes is one quiet, happy place. Squeezed tight between two regional powers, its status as a buffer state and the shrewd neutrality of its ruling family ensured stability, while its exports of rare spices, including the magical Fire Mushrooms fattened the purse of nobles and merchants alike.
But without warning one fateful night, a small army appeared inside the capital town of Campo, storming the Royal Palace and exterminating the King and his entire family.
The sole survivor is the titular Prince: the youngest son of the King manages to flee naked, with only his sword and the loyalty of the giant Captain of the Guard, to find himself thrown in the middle of a gang war in the criminal underbelly of the town.
Will he join one of the gangs, exploiting the crisis to rise to its top? Will he stalk the nights as a folk hero, bringing justice to the poor and the forgotten? Will he set the gangs to fight each other and reap the results?
Will he let himself be ensnared by the charms of one of the eight beautiful ladies he'll meet in this adventure? Or will he eventually sail for the wealthy western lands following a rogue Imperial trader?
You will be able to make game-changing decisions in this dark, urban low-fantasy with more than a shade of noir, while playing a fearsome Fighter, a wily Scout, a cunning Diplomat or a mix of the three. Your Prince could be more Choleric or Melancholic, more Phlegmatic or Sanguine, and along the way you will collect several allies and special abilities that will help you solve solutions with words, swords or cloaks.

Development.jpg
At the moment the development of Episode 1 of the Blood and Principle series, is stopped, while our new artist is redoing the Prologue.
Anyway, as a teaser you can download a short, linear, VN with the prologue to the Prince's story, using placeholder renders done by me, providing the game background and a small example of the very simple battle system.

For the more adventurous I uploaded a preview of the beginning of Episode 1 (about 25k words) Still very linear, it will showcase some of the main actors of the lawless docks of the city of Campo, and will introduce some of the game's Love Interests. It also introduces the main gameplay, although for now there will be only a very small number of locations unlocked. To help the reading and to create a suitable atmosphere, I added placeholder backgrounds made with AI image creators and sprites made with Daz Studio.

Neither of these downloads are actually the final product, that's still being written by CodeMach, just a proof of concept programmed by me using the NQTR toolkit.

Prologue to the Prince's story, placeholder images by The Rogue Trader, compressed version (62Mb):

Screenshot1.JPG Prince_Prologue_Bedroom_pBT01_L2.png Screenshot3.JPG Prince_Prologue_SecretPassage_05v2.png Screenshot2.JPG
Update: Fixed a nasty bug that prevented loading games saved after the card battle.

Demo of the Prologue and the first part of "A prince Among Thieves", compressed version (97Mb):

CharScreen.JPG CityMap_Night.JPG NewSontiniThugs.JPG Sleep.JPG StalthTest.JPG BloodDragon_Night.JPG Sprites.JPG HardChoice.JPG
It has map navigation, room navigation, character screen, night/day cycle and skill checks. Tested only for the first day.

Project.jpg

Blood and Principle is a series of six medieval fantasy VNs (with “RPG elements”) set in an original world (don’t expect the usual, uninspired, “five races” kind of D&Desque fantasy).
Through the six episodes, the game will tell two parallel and non-intersecting stories where two different main characters, a Prince and a Farmer, rise to power via political manoeuvring and plain old adventuring.
On the background, a titanic power struggle between three superpowers that are trying to influence that small but strategic piece of land.
On the foreground, lots of scantily clad hotties.

A more detailed Project Survey can be found here:

N.B.
The “Card battle” element has been toned down to prevent it from getting in the way of the flow of the story.

Team.jpg

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Tags.jpg

Oh, sorry.
Rest assured, the game will have sex in it and plenty of Love Interests to pick from.
But beware! Even if the game is strictly “Only one dick” (well, two, having two different MCs - but don’t worry, no character will be present in both storylines), some of the girls will have had past relationships and present behaviour that will not be to everyone’s taste.
I’m afraid that if you’re looking for virginal Love Interests, for now your choices will be extremely limited.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Issues.jpg

- In the prologue, the nature of "woodfires" was less clear than I thought, Will be changed in "Forest Fires".
- Sometimes, the Prince talks like a street thug. One instance found and fixed.
- Some of the lines in the exposition dialogue between the Prince and the maid feel forced and unnatural. It's expospeak after all. I'll see what I can do, but I need more details. Thanks to Osanaiko we're rewriting all the dialogue between the Prince and Alice, including the introductory letter. I also added some dialogue options that do nothing, just for roleplay value, hoping to flesh out the exchange and make it feel more natural.
- The geography isn't clearly defined before the characters start talking about it / characters talk about the various parts/cultures of the Kingdom without stopping and explaining these places and the people living in them. I suppose the only reasonable way to fix this is to have a map/encyclopedia that can be accessed from the UI. That'd a lot of work that wouldn't be going in forwarding the story. ATTENTION! Unfortunately, the "Atlas" button softlocks the game! Please don't click on it! I'll release a fix when I'll have the dialogue finished.
- There aren't enough sexy scenes in the Prince's Prologue. But there are quite a bit just outside of it, so I don't feel the need to go back and change the prologue.
- Alice the maid can't be saved. Unfortunately it's needed for the story and for setting the dark mood: the Prince loses everything but his backside, his sword and his Captain.
- I've had a report that closing the Character Info screen is more difficult than it should be (left-click). Also, the various info/help screens do not have a consistent style. I'll definitely fix this even if the current UI is only a placeholder.
- Some on-screen help is needed to better understand the "elemental affinity" and "card battles" systems.

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Congrats on taking this next step! :love:

Now you've committed publicly to make a game... it's time to make it real. Hit that :coffee: and get writing/project managing!

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Congrats on taking this next step! :love:

Now you've committed publicly to make a game... it's time to make it real. Hit that :coffee: and get writing/project managing!
Thank osanaiko, you're always kind!
I'm having fun writing the first quest (it's the project managing part that I'd gladly do without), but I'll probably have to add the missing introductions to the various factions, too, before release. It'll be a lot of catching up for the artist.

I planned the first release for this December. What will be ready will be ready.

• Red Heart
Reactions: osanaiko

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hello, after almost one year in development hell, “Blood and Principle” is finally on the right track.
Team members are working on their respective segments, so I decided to cobble together a Ren'py demo of only the story, with provisional renders (done by me as placeholders) and provisional GUI (please, don’t be scared by the UI, it’s not a serious proposal) and open a development thread where we can publicly discuss the game and test the reactions of players.

Compressed version (62Mb):

View attachment 2054912 View attachment 2054914 View attachment 2054922 View attachment 2054917 View attachment 2054918

Excuse me, what’s Blood and Principle?
Mostly it’s a Patreon-backed medieval fantasy VN (with “RPG elements”) set in an original world (don’t expect the usual, uninspired, “five races” kind of D&Desque fantasy). Through six episodes, the game will deal with two parallel stories about rising to power via political manoeuvring and plain old adventuring.
And with scantily clad hotties.
[/SPOILER]

That look really nice.
I wish i were as talented.

Anyway, i will try it and see if it's something for me.
But the renders look really great with great atmosphere.

Kind of reminds me of Kaiser. The old game of management but you are aiming for story and adventuring. Looks promising.
I hope you succeed. :)

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Hello to everyone! Just two quick announcements:

First and foremost, the flow of renders from LMM99 is steadily going on. He reached the scene in the bathing tub, making him the most prolific and dependable artist the "Blood and Principle" project ever had. Obviously, there's still some fine-tuning to do, and I'll have to adapt some lines to the new renders, but the situation is improving.

Since I'm not really sure when he'll be able to catch up with the current story of Episode 1, very likely much later than my proposed deadline, I decided to add some placeholder art to it, as I'm worried that the story being text-only is driving away playtesters. Without any feedback, I'm having a hard time going on with the plot.
To not waste too much effort on placeholder art, I'm making the background art with a Deep Learning text-to-image program (and I mean Stable Diffusion, of course). So far it's going on satisfactorily (for what it is: placeholder backgrounds) and I'm almost finished with the creation of the pictures and move on to the postwork.
I'll still have to add foreground figures every now and then, and this means I'll have to put some effort on integrating the styles of the renders with the backgrounds.
Anyway, I plan to upgrade the demo of Episode 1 with the new backgrounds (no characters for now) sometime during the next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoughlySpecific

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
I'm creating placeholder art for the First Episode, as the test audience insists that it has to be my priority.
I'm working on the first scene: character design and posing is done, I just need to put some more thought into lighting.

Pr_E1_0_0_1.png Pr_E1_0_0_2.png Pr_E1_0_0_3.png Pr_E1_0_0_4.png Pr_E1_0_0_5.png Pr_E1_0_0_6.png Pr_E1_0_0_7.png

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
The plan for this week was to release the first sneak preview of the new art, namely the first scene in the Prince's bedroom.
Unfortunately, LMM99's computer broke (a melted processor) so his work won't be completed for another week or two, depending on parts availability.
As a compensation I'll post my WIP character studies for 7 of the 8 main girls of Episode 1:
Mara_test_01.png Carole_test_02.png Dina_test_02.png Luza_test_01.png Algide_test_01.png Zy_test_02.png Lyra_test_01.png
Meet Mara the homeless servant*, Carole le Rouge the caped vigilante*, Brandywine the gang enforcer, Baz Luza Mandelli, Lady Algide da Blancarocca and her barbarian maidservant Zy and last but not least Lyra the tavern wench* showing off her wares.
Rosa the captive is still missing. Will our Prince go and daringly rescue her or he'll condemn her to remain the unwilling plaything of the ruthless Gjmi Carise all her life?

*Already present in the released parts of Episode 1.

Last edited:

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Well, well, well.
It's time for a significant update: I started adding character sprites over the backgrounds, to help follow the story.
Still far from what a definitive art should be, I think they do nicely what they are supposed to do.
So far only the first three scenes have been updated, but if there's interest, I will expand these stand-ins for the rest of the demo, before returning to the development of the story.

Sprites.JPG

Sprites2.JPG

you can enjoy a (very optional) sex scene with Mara the submissive vagrant. I hope you'll like her, as, whatever will be your routes, you'll see a lot of her after you'll have her cleaned and dressed.

Pr_E1_0_0_SS07a.png
Pr_E1_0_0_SS13.png
(For the lovers of less rough sex: yes there will be a much softer route for her in future).

EDIT: because of an error with file names I attached the renders before the postwork, not the ones that are in the game.

Last edited:

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
What happened ?
To be honest I'm not too sure myself: the guy just quit the team without a word.
Let's file it under "artistic differences" and see it as a chance to improve instead of another delay in the release date.

I really enjoyed the ch1 teaser, keep at it!
Thanks! You don't know how much I appreciate your input.
If you have some criticism or suggestions, too, don't hesitate to voice them.

Young Griff

Game Developer
Nov 15, 2022
I like the concept quite a bit. Sounds like you put some effort into making a unique world here. I'm also glad to see more low-fantasy love. Having dragons fly around every 10 feet and everyone's mom is a wizard kinda takes away from the mystique. A nice, grounded low-fantasy, which by turn makes the actual fantastic elements more fantastic, is certainly my cup of tea.

• Red Heart
Reactions: The Rogue Trader

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
OK, time for a brief update on how the screenings for a new artist are going.
We have three candidates: Kinrean (A 2D and Blender artist who is proposing stylized overpainted sprites on static backgrounds), ArtistX (a versatile and complete 3D artist with experience in several different styles) and DavidLunch (a Daz Studio renderer with a very good grasp of lighting).
Both Kinre and DavidLunch quickly presented some studies for the Prince's Prologue, but sadly ArtistX has been away from his rendering rig and won't be able to work until after Xmas. As I don't want to penalize him for issues that are outside his control, I'm going to keep the screening open until the end of the year.
Speed and productivity are going to be taken into account when the time for the decision will come, but I'm going to turn a blind eye to bad luck.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Finally, the holiday season is around the corner and I'm going to indulge myself in playing a few more games.. and The Rogue Trader, this time I'm coming for your preview release!

I'll make some notes along the way and see what sort of feedback I can provide ;)

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: The Rogue Trader

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
ooohhh!

would your prospective artist mind you posting what they visioned for your characters?

You don't have to post names to associate them... I am pretty curious though!

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
ooohhh!

would your prospective artist mind you posting what they visioned for your characters?

You don't have to post names to associate them... I am pretty curious though!
As DavidLuch found a paid project that will absorb all his free time, the screening is basically closed in favour of artistx

We're working on the characters' concepts, but at the moment we're on the fence about what dress is best for Alice the Maid, who will not be a recurring character.
alice-concept-dforce-barmaidv2.png alice-concept-dforce-multidressv4.png maid-concept1.2.png
The first dress has an obvious benefit for the player, but I think the second is more in line with her shy, country-girl nature.
What do you think?

aged-up-princeconcept.png
Our new Prince. We'll have to talk a bit about the expressions, as I find him extremely punchable. I wanted him older, but in the end, it only makes sense to be in his late teens/early twenties.

captainconceptv1.png
Captain Erkil turned from my rendition of a somewhat gentle, fatherly giant to a very scary-looking war machine. Very fitting.

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
Looks great!
As far as the dress goes... can I say the answer is "yes!"

People do change clothes from time to time, so I say use all three!
(if that is too much work, and "there can be only one", the yellow, of course!)