Unreal Engine Best practise for importing DAZ characters into UE

faba

Jun 2, 2017
Hi , I was wondering if anyone ideally with some experience could comment on best practice to import characters from DAZ to UE. Or possibly what approach to avoid and why.

The character as a whole and also with the hair, genitalia (out/in part), wardrobe. The interaction with characters should be quite wide (moving, to interaction, morphing, sex etc.).

The plan is to have a workflow, where (once set up) a character from DAZ could be imported and "easily" swapped and used.

I have barely touched the surface of UE, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Emoon

May 4, 2017
You are asking for a lot here, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with the UE since both are complex systems in their own way.

But it's not impossible to get a system set-up where you can skip the heavy lifting once you have the base done.
The very first thing i suggest to anyone is reducing the material setup of DAZ characters, this will not only help with the general house-keeping later but also with performance.

The regular DAZ character comes with something of around 16 material "layers" (Surface Groups (SG) called in DAZ) and even tho it's not uncommon for game characters to have that many material layers in case of DAZ there are a lot who are unnecessary. So merge them down. Fingernails to Arms, Toenails to Legs, Ears - EyeSocket - Lips to Face and Gens can be merged most of the time into the Body group. Straight and unprocessed imports of DAZ characters are insane when it comes to drawcalls, so if you want to keep your performance in check this step is vital.

Usually i discourage people from using the texture maps that ship with DAZ characters since they often times lack essential maps like normal or roughness maps. The render pipelines are different after all so you're often times better off with building your own skin shader inside unreal. The free examples provided by Epic have everything you need to get you started on how to build one yourself. But you certainly have to create all necessary maps yourself first. This is one of the reasons why i preach to go from DAZ to Blender and then to Unreal. The for Blender is a power-house for everything related to "From DAZ to Blender".

On the topic of rigging and animating. Going from DAZ to Unreal is certainly possible but will create issues later down the line (No root notion, weird bending etc.), so again a detour through Blender with the Diffeomorphic addon will save you from a lot of headaches later. Your main goal at first is to get the DAZ rig into Unreal with a proper bone hierarchy, correct twist bones and preferably no quaternion, although Unreal is able to handle that now it may be hard to work with.
One thing to remember is that every DAZ item, be it hair, gens or clothing has its own rig attached to it, if you try to import a complete character with hair, clothing and whatnot Unreal will complain upon import, so import the naked character first so that you have the rig available and after that import all the other parts without the rig (there's a checkbox for that during import iirc.)

Once you got the proper rig imported you can start to setup the underlying system, animation blueprints, control rig (which is amazing) and so forth. Once that is done you can pretty much import any DAZ character into the Engine and reuse your main rig, needless to say that male and female need their own rigs.

So yea, as you can see the process is quite complex and i properly forgot a lot of things here and there but if you manage to get it set up you have two incredible powerful tools at hand (control rig and the sequencer) for storytelling in a realtime environment.
But as i said before you can ease the pain by using Diffeomorphic. Utilize the and the read the and don't waste your time with the DAZ docs, they are useless. Use DAZ as a means to shape your character (no disrespect) and do everything else in Blender and Unreal.

Oh last but not least, base resolution for DAZ characters is more than enough, especially with proper normal maps and check the topology on clothing. There are a lot of clothing parts out there who have horrible topology.

Good luck with everything that lies ahead. :)

faba

Jun 2, 2017
Thank you very much Emoon :)

I guess it will take a few days to understand, learn and try it (especially if I have only limited time I can spend on my hobby), but I definitely give it a go.

Would you suggest to use a different source for characters? I mean, I can probably learn a lot, but I will never be an artist to create my own.

Emoon

May 4, 2017
Not gonna lie this is going to be tough since it requires a good amount of knowledge about various topics but mostly when it comes to working with the UE4.
Good thing is it's well documented, be it via youtube tutorials, unreal engine live streams (don't skip them, they provide a plethora of insight!) or the documentation itself.

What you'll mainly look/google for when it comes to Unreal is stuff about various material workflows, especially for skin shaders (don't worry it's not as complex as it may sound), animation blueprints and the new control rig system (don't skip it it's way to useful but prepare your butt because it's going to be complex), depending on your project maybe also sequencer stuff but that's a pretty straight forward system. Basic knowledge about how rig setups are done and how they work is recommendable too, FK/IK, facial rigs, twist bones, jiggle bones and leaf bones are some keywords to google for here.

Would i suggest using a different source for characters?
Unless you're willing to hire a character artist and an animator/rigger you won't find anything else which is suited for adult themed stuff.

What i really would suggest for the first stint is to get familiar with the tools at hand.
Create some characters in DAZ, bring them over to Blender and create a few renders there. A small side story if you will, just to learn the nuts and bolts of Blender and the Diffeomorphic addon.
In the meantime get your groundwork done in Unreal, setup a small playground environment, get your UI in, do some particle stuff and play around with the default mannequin. This way you familiarize yourself with Unreal in an easy way instead of running into a brick wall that will only tear down slowly.
Once you feel familiar with Unreal you will see that you already have characters in Blender who are almost ready to be imported directly and then your time in Unreal will be a cakewalk, sort of. :D

Darkkitten

Jun 20, 2017
Sorta like this is an older post, but I feel that there's been progress, Daz3d now has a UnrealEngine plugin.

TheExordick

Sep 25, 2021
Emoon I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but you seem to know your stuff! I'm going through the same process here and was wondering what you think about the DAZ to Unreal bridge which is built into DAZ.
Do you think it's still convenient to use the Diffeomorphic plugin?

In any case i'm going through blender in my export pipeline because there are other problems but for that i'm using the DAZ to Blender bridge provided by DAZ.

Emoon

May 4, 2017
Emoon I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but you seem to know your stuff! I'm going through the same process here and was wondering what you think about the DAZ to Unreal bridge which is built into DAZ.
Do you think it's still convenient to use the Diffeomorphic plugin?

In any case i'm going through blender in my export pipeline because there are other problems but for that i'm using the DAZ to Blender bridge provided by DAZ.
Sorry for the late reply.
To be honest i can't really make a fair assessment here since i haven't used the DAZ-to-Unreal bridge in a long time. The problem with DAZ products in general is that proper changelogs and documentation is hard to come by, so i can't really tell what has changed since then. From their i can see that they've put in some work to support Unreals ControlRig. Funny enough now that i looked through it (thanks to you) i found a proper /smh.

Anyway i will have a look at it but i can't promise that it will be anytime soon as i'm currently busy with regular work and to test it thoroughly it needs a bit more work than just see what the import gives me. But feel free to dive in, i would check the bone orientations after import since that was always a bit tricky back then, you can create some twist and bend animations in DAZ and import them to Unreal to see how deformations behave. See if root motions work, if your skeleton root bone in Unreal has the name of the DAZ figure change the figure name to 'root' (without the ') in DAZ and export it again as this is need for root motions to work in Unreal. Import some pose and shape morphs and setup a simple control for them via Anim blueprint. Test a simple Control Rig setup and see how it behaves. Material & LOD stuff if something you can ignore for now as this is fairly simple to fix later down the line, if needed. But that would be the stuff i'd try first and see if the process is straight forward enough compared to the regular pipeline via Blender.

Once i find the time to dive in myself, i'll report back here. :)

TheExordick

Sep 25, 2021
Sorry for the late reply.
To be honest i can't really make a fair assessment here since i haven't used the DAZ-to-Unreal bridge in a long time. The problem with DAZ products in general is that proper changelogs and documentation is hard to come by, so i can't really tell what has changed since then. From their i can see that they've put in some work to support Unreals ControlRig. Funny enough now that i looked through it (thanks to you) i found a proper /smh.

Anyway i will have a look at it but i can't promise that it will be anytime soon as i'm currently busy with regular work and to test it thoroughly it needs a bit more work than just see what the import gives me. But feel free to dive in, i would check the bone orientations after import since that was always a bit tricky back then, you can create some twist and bend animations in DAZ and import them to Unreal to see how deformations behave. See if root motions work, if your skeleton root bone in Unreal has the name of the DAZ figure change the figure name to 'root' (without the ') in DAZ and export it again as this is need for root motions to work in Unreal. Import some pose and shape morphs and setup a simple control for them via Anim blueprint. Test a simple Control Rig setup and see how it behaves. Material & LOD stuff if something you can ignore for now as this is fairly simple to fix later down the line, if needed. But that would be the stuff i'd try first and see if the process is straight forward enough compared to the regular pipeline via Blender.

Once i find the time to dive in myself, i'll report back here. :)

Many thanks to you actually to take the time to reply! The first problem i remember with the DAZ to Unreal bridge was the genital morphs not being exported to UE (and there is actually the same problem with the DAZ to Blender bridge, so seems like a pattern to me).
I will dive deeper, but for what i've seen, the major problem to me is that the animation retargeting from Mannequin skeleton to DAZ G3 or G8 is not working so well and animating stuff in DAZ without IK is a real pain (take into account i'm not a very good animator) so the steps in blender or maya are crucial for me.
I still use blender even though i don't really like it because there are way more tutorial than 3ds Max or Maya.
Thank you so much also for the documentation link which i never found myself.

Emoon

May 4, 2017
Many thanks to you actually to take the time to reply! The first problem i remember with the DAZ to Unreal bridge was the genital morphs not being exported to UE (and there is actually the same problem with the DAZ to Blender bridge, so seems like a pattern to me).
I will dive deeper, but for what i've seen, the major problem to me is that the animation retargeting from Mannequin skeleton to DAZ G3 or G8 is not working so well and animating stuff in DAZ without IK is a real pain (take into account i'm not a very good animator) so the steps in blender or maya are crucial for me.
I still use blender even though i don't really like it because there are way more tutorial than 3ds Max or Maya.
Thank you so much also for the documentation link which i never found myself.
Yeah geografts from third-party sources were never properly supported and i doubt they ever will be. Afaik DAZ has IK controls but tbh i never bothered using it as i can't stand the clunky UI of DAZ and the o_O.

Problems with retargeting are to be expected since the default Mannequin skeleton is fairly simple compared to the DAZ skeleton which is quite complex. There is a blender addon called " " which fixes a lot of problems like unnecessary bones and bad bone hierarchy, it's also well documented and the author goes into detail about what differences there are between regular rigs and game rigs. Be sure to check it out as it offers a lot more insight compare to what i can provide here!

As someone who worked with Maya for almost a decade i can related to your pain but trust me one day Blender will grow to you and you learn to handle the few differences. ;)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
There is a repo for a Third Person Template using Daz3d assets & UE 4.26 (can be ported to 5.02 with no problem far I remember).

Current Features:
Daz To Unreal Bridge configured for the project
Custom Meta-Human Skin and Eye Shader
Custom Paragon Hair Shader
Control-rig setup for Genesis 8.1 Male and Female
Retargeting configuration and poses for Mixamo, Mannequin, and Genesis 8.1 skeletons.
Foot IK Solution
Inventory System (Equip/Unequip/Drop items, Stack Items, Item highlighting)
Dynamic Material System (Change mesh opacity masks based on the equipped items to help prevent poke thru.
Simple Death and Restart Level
8-Way Locomotion System, with standing in place animations
Run
Jump
Crouch
Basic Debugs Keys (Slow Motion, Disable DSLL and Display FPS)
Volumetric Clouds, Sky Atmosmosferic Fog and Lighting Set.
Postprocess Material
First and Third Person Modes

Converting Daz dForce hair (strand based) for UE :

Last edited:

Azodye

Aug 25, 2021
I don't know if this is the best place to ask this but here we go.., I am using ue5 and I want to import a fair amount of characters but it will take time and space, so I tried to send a base G8M and G8F but loaded with morph that will change the body and head and needless to say some changed the size of the mesh, unfortunately it left the skeleton size the same, meaning only mesh appearance change but nothing happens to skeleton, it's a total mess .
So when I start to add animation all hell break loss

Any fix for that?

RenzloDRXXX

Feb 14, 2022
You are asking for a lot here, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with the UE since both are complex systems in their own way.

But it's not impossible to get a system set-up where you can skip the heavy lifting once you have the base done.
The very first thing i suggest to anyone is reducing the material setup of DAZ characters, this will not only help with the general house-keeping later but also with performance.

The regular DAZ character comes with something of around 16 material "layers" (Surface Groups (SG) called in DAZ) and even tho it's not uncommon for game characters to have that many material layers in case of DAZ there are a lot who are unnecessary. So merge them down. Fingernails to Arms, Toenails to Legs, Ears - EyeSocket - Lips to Face and Gens can be merged most of the time into the Body group. Straight and unprocessed imports of DAZ characters are insane when it comes to drawcalls, so if you want to keep your performance in check this step is vital.

Usually i discourage people from using the texture maps that ship with DAZ characters since they often times lack essential maps like normal or roughness maps. The render pipelines are different after all so you're often times better off with building your own skin shader inside unreal. The free examples provided by Epic have everything you need to get you started on how to build one yourself. But you certainly have to create all necessary maps yourself first. This is one of the reasons why i preach to go from DAZ to Blender and then to Unreal. The for Blender is a power-house for everything related to "From DAZ to Blender".

On the topic of rigging and animating. Going from DAZ to Unreal is certainly possible but will create issues later down the line (No root notion, weird bending etc.), so again a detour through Blender with the Diffeomorphic addon will save you from a lot of headaches later. Your main goal at first is to get the DAZ rig into Unreal with a proper bone hierarchy, correct twist bones and preferably no quaternion, although Unreal is able to handle that now it may be hard to work with.
One thing to remember is that every DAZ item, be it hair, gens or clothing has its own rig attached to it, if you try to import a complete character with hair, clothing and whatnot Unreal will complain upon import, so import the naked character first so that you have the rig available and after that import all the other parts without the rig (there's a checkbox for that during import iirc.)

Once you got the proper rig imported you can start to setup the underlying system, animation blueprints, control rig (which is amazing) and so forth. Once that is done you can pretty much import any DAZ character into the Engine and reuse your main rig, needless to say that male and female need their own rigs.

So yea, as you can see the process is quite complex and i properly forgot a lot of things here and there but if you manage to get it set up you have two incredible powerful tools at hand (control rig and the sequencer) for storytelling in a realtime environment.
But as i said before you can ease the pain by using Diffeomorphic. Utilize the and the read the and don't waste your time with the DAZ docs, they are useless. Use DAZ as a means to shape your character (no disrespect) and do everything else in Blender and Unreal.

Oh last but not least, base resolution for DAZ characters is more than enough, especially with proper normal maps and check the topology on clothing. There are a lot of clothing parts out there who have horrible topology.

Don't bother if you expect to take genitals into unreal with this. Broken fucking product.