Best Engine for combat and i mean wars,Though you can avoid them????

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Not going to lie Have been working on a game script for a month or so will probably take another year to complete full text for game in given time between work RL and other stuff .Will then have to look at recruiting an Artist.Question is do i go rpg maker for combat side or is their a reasonably easy to learn alternative

david cee

Jun 4, 2017
I maybe biased but i think rpg maker combat is good and depends on the story can become better.
but as well can say if the art and story are good the combat will be less of the main point (again depends on the story).

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
Not going to lie Have been working on a game script for a month or so will probably take another year to complete full text for game in given time between work RL and other stuff .Will then have to look at recruiting an Artist.Question is do i go rpg maker for combat side or is their a reasonably easy to learn alternative
Personally speaking, I prefer a lot the RPGMaker style of combat, instead of the one's used in Ren'Py and such - maybe because.. you can do more? For example look at Cursed Armor or look at the project of his other "friend", Sword... the one that is in the "Request" section, or for example F4 - Fatal Fate and a Final Fist, Deathblight or others that allow to see in real time what happens if hit enough to your own clothes. That is cool. But of course even the system used for Roundscape and Fractured World is cool enough!, with the little sprites.

Skmechadrone

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2018
I highly suggest construct 2 or 3, it is a very versatile engine and can cover many types of games.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Question is do i go rpg maker for combat side or is their a reasonably easy to learn alternative
Hate to break it to you, but that question is a bit broad. There's a wide range of combat system, are you looking for a particular combat system? It'll be nice to know what kind of combat system you're trying to go for, that way I can give you a better explanation to what you would need to accomplish that style of combat system.

But take some things in consideration here, when talking about a combat system. There's the code and animation.

If you want simple, easy and out of the box ready, than yes RPGM would be your best pick. Do take note that with simplicity comes simplistic. At most if you dig around a bit, you can get a combat system some what like the classic Zelda games or Street Fighter (I think this is new) don't quote me on that though, as I've left RPGM a long time ago so I have no clue as to what kind of combat system the community has made since.

If your looking for a combat system that's out of the scope of what RPGM can do, you'll have to be prepare to learn UE4/Unity.

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Essentially what i have started on is you are the Chosen,The Chosen only comes along once every 10,000years your Job as the chosen is to reunite the lands in any way possible.As the chosen you will be gifted certain powers your birth right. I want to give the players the option of going all out combat to attain these lands with a steady gradient of increased difficulty ie 3/4 battles then a boss fight to take the land.Or do you use your powers have you built them up enough to take the land by stealth.And to mix it up a bit can you use your powers to take it by stealth or do you need to enter combat to remove blocks eg powerfull mages witches or wizards that can detect and nullify your powers. I am being a bit non descript as i don't want to give to much away.but different paths will be available if i can pull it off and of course plenty of sexual content after all the victor gets to take his spoils right ?. It is a big project for a first timer but i like a challenge hence the reason i have given it a big time frame just for the writting (But sorry no incest ) lol

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Alright, so with what you wrote along side easy to learn then, RPGM is the choice. Do take note that RPGM is very limited in what can be done in terms of combat mechanics.

I want to give the players the option of going all out combat to attain these lands with a steady gradient of increased difficulty ie 3/4 battles then a boss fight to take the land.
Below are some reference games in terms of combat mechanics that RPGM can do,

• Zelda (top down hack and slash) do a google search on (The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past) (this might require you to dig around community plug-ins to achieve this type of combat)
  • Final Fantasy (Turn base) (RPGM Defaults to this style when you make games with their engine)
  • Metal Slug (Side-scroll shootem-up) You move from left to right or right to left and just have a bunch of enemies that you hack-n-slash. (This mechanic is fairly new in RPGM, I've only seen 2 games, can't remember the names, again you'll have to dig around a bit if this is a mechanic you want to implement, also requires a bit of coding to correctly position your MC in a side scroll position)

Or do you use your powers have you built them up enough to take the land by stealth.And to mix it up a bit can you use your powers to take it by stealth or do you need to enter combat to remove blocks eg powerfull mages witches or wizards that can detect and nullify your powers.
As far as stealth combat goes, there isn't much to say here, you're either spotted or hidden, and if you get caught you enter combat (which than transition into whatever combat you implemented) or run away. If player is hidden, than as many other stealth games, you instant kill the target.

I stopped working with RPGM a long time ago, I mean loooong time ago, so between that and now many plug-ins and changes might have come as well. Dig around a bit and see if the engine offers the tool to accomplish your needs. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what RPGM can offer in terms of combat mechanics. If this doesn't satisfy the combat aspect, then Unity/UE4 is the other option. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I'll answer as best as I can within the range of my knowledge and experience.

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Thanks for the replies will have a dig round RPGM see what it has to offer as it will probably be the easiest to learn then take it from their thanks once again