VN - Ren'Py - Being a DIK [v0.10.1] [Dr PinkCake]

1. 3.00 star(s)

1st

I'd like to begin by saying that I truly admire DrPinkCake's artworks and all of his hard work in deliverying quality content like 'Acting lessons'. However, I have some issues with this VN.

'Being a DIK' is a second game by DrPinkCake I come to know and in opposite to the glorious 'Acting Lessons' I cannot say that I'm delighted. Don't get me wrong, the visual side of the project is still of the highest quality, it's the story that I have problems with.

In 'Being a DIK' you play a role of a young guy who begins his education at the college. At the very first day he comes across local fraternities' representatives. We don't get the chance to pick the fraternity of our choosing but instead we're immediately put into the line of DIK's aspirants.

The process of pledging comes in a form of various hazings. That is the first problem I have with this VN - I don't like games that lean towards humiliation and there is a lot of it here, so be prepared. Unfortunately, some of them come in a totaly bad taste (like swallowing used condom). It made me wonder what does it have to do with prooving our character's worth? Surrending to such treatment shows something completely different - being submissive and deprived of pride instead of being worthy member of the community.

Lastly, there are some story's plots that may seem a little inconsistent. For instance: we come to know that main character trained martial arts since he was a kid (his father trained him) and we find him fit and sporty when he begins college, but when a time comes a skinny bitch is twisting his arm with no sweat (and there is no way of opposing her in any manner).

Since most of the reviews are 5/5 I can imagine that this one will face a lot of criticism. One can ask me a question: "why play GTA if you are against stealing cars?" - well, the answer is simple: if I knew what it's about I would most likely skip it. So I'm writing this to warn those who don't enjoy humiliation themes.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

SpikeZg

For a 0.2 release this is as good as it gets.
    Great storytelling, renders, animations, music... this game has it all.

One of the best if not the best game on F95 and it's still a 0.2 :cool:

great job DrPinkCake (y)
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Dark-Fire

Nice, i hope the next version come fast i can't wait to play more of this game !
    I realy like the game but i am sad because is so short curently i hope the nex update will be longer and with more activitis and stuff
    Kep going DEV.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

E-Dog

Graphics/renders and models are top notch. Writing is hilarious (which is a big thing for me)! Couple scenes remind me of when i went away to college.
    Models are attractive as hell. Have multiple storylines going on so its not necessarily a straight shot with minimal changes depending on ur choices as well. (Only constructive criticism i can give, currently, is verbage for the main and side girls could use a little change up. They tend to speak the same way even though their stories and personalities are setup differently.)
    Great VN guys! Keep up the good work and support will continue coming ur way!
  5. 5.00 star(s)

D31TA

I honestly dont play this kind of games, but i guessed i could give one a try, and boy was I surprised, interesting story, lovely music and animations, thank you very much for this game, i can't wait for the next part, the wait is killing me!
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Abhai

This game has it all - hot looking and various girls, intriguing story with different characters, and accordingly relations with main girls develop at various rates. With one girl you will have sex nearly at the very beginning, with the other you will hardly get even a kiss...some others will try to include you in their "schemes", while some will try to avoid you, no matter what you did, at least, till some point :) There is a lot of fun, and tons of contents already, although the game is practically at the very beginning of the development, with only two releases so far....Simply, this is a GREAT game!
  7. 5.00 star(s)

John_Smith

This feels like an actual game. An actual very good game. With a plot and interesting characters. Damn, that's rare.
    The visuals and animations are top-notch too., with a huge amount of differences.
    Seriously, bravo to the creator!
  8. 5.00 star(s)

fjander

Excellent game: engaging story, music, gorgeous renders and a very "cinematic" approach to action.

The minigames could be mildly annoying at times, but I think that they are a nice addition in general.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Deleted member 320392

Really good game, nothing to add, interisting story, same for the characters, and this game has music, which is pretty rare lel.I had a great time playing this game and i'm waiting for the next chapter !
  10. 5.00 star(s)

Roido

Dude, this game just makes it so unfair to other games. I mean quite literally, it's just that amazing! The attention to details, the flow of the game, the choices you have, it all brings it together. One of a kind!
  11. 5.00 star(s)

reiokei

This game is surprisingly so heartfelt. I don't know how to explain it. Other than the sexual content. It reminds me of my "Love" life in Junior and High School. All this drama and relational growth hits home hard.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

salgazar

This is easily one of the best western VNs, there's very little to not like about it. The writing is a lot better than most other Patreon-fare, with a great mix of chuckleworthy humor, hot, and serious moments. The characters are mostly extremely likeable as well. Their renders are a cut above pretty much everything in the genre, both when it comes to expresiveness and originality. I can see how the character voices could annoy some people. I think they are decent and definitely fits. The sex scene noises are great, and I believe they add a lot of spice. I don't usually even like VNs, but I love this one.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

John64

After finishing "Acting Lessons" I was looking for the next project of this author. Though I wasn't amused by College background at first. But when version 0.2 came out I decided to give it a try - and well, it's really interesting. Though some characters and events seems too unrealistic. For example - Derek. Seriously? I know he was put in a story as a comic relief but still. A dude walking around college and attending lections half-naked, not giving a shit about teachers' opinion on this topic - and everyone is ok with that?? Plus no super rich father/family who donated to college to cover for this misbehavior? Imho "in real life" he would be expelled in a day.

But still - the game really has some PLOT. And I mean some real story, not the usual "PLOT": "Ok, I must figure a way how to fuck my mom and sisters that are in their turn are just begging to be fucked. End of story". And the characters are really catchy. But hence goes the major con for me: the game is kinda scary as shit. Especially after previous work of this author. For example I'm ok with NTR games, but here you just don't know what to expect. Will the MC's main college love interest (Maya) become one more of the Quinn's whores which she intends her to make? And so far she just goes that way without much of resistance. And what about this misterious boyfriend of the first (before college) MC's love interest? Will he happen to be one of the DIK's who would fuck her in front of him or smth? I'm not totally against those kind of things, but I prefer to be warned about those and with this author - you never know what to expect next and that gives some creeps . But so far I'll give it 5.

PS. And I hope no more fires this time. I'm just more of a "happy harem" guy. :)
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Staerin

In standard Dr. PinkCake style, this game is well made. It has a well written story (yes it actually has a story). The characters are well thought out, each has an identifiable personality they are faithful to. And while it is still very early in development it has quite a lot of content already.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

manniakk

Well, this is one of the best games you can play in this genre. The story is great, the scripting is great, there is just one downside - all the girls are fucking amazing. It is really hard to choose which one. Joke aside, the game is worth spending your time and replaying. What i would like to see more is characters from other games, from Acting Lessons or other games, it doesn`t matter. It will make the game even better
  16. 5.00 star(s)

Jaroslav

10/10 This game has no competition. Everything is perfect. So I haven't laughed for a long time. Incredible work.
    My favorites girls are 3- Josy, Jill and Isabella's best. The way you showed the emotion processing to her face. He has no game yet around world. Really Oscar performance. A lot of actresses can't do this for a whole life.
    The graphic designer is a real talent with extreme sensitivity and he is .... in the world little. Those peoples are unpayable.
    I am impress and happy that someone is finally able to show something like that. I am not interested in the perfect animation but the impression.
    Story, fun, love, tears and excitement. Violence and suffering around us are pretty much in the games I hate. I'm sure I will repeat this game at least 4x.
    The only thing I can improve is the excitement site. In the form of hesitation. The animations are perfect, but sometimes I don't get the right expression. Just add or modify an offer or a statement.
    I wish you many successes with this work for me you already number 1.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

name88 - King of Hearts

(Chapter 2)
    Absolute perfection,Dr.PinkCake did it again,he set the bar really high with Acting lesson and somehow managed to rise it even higher with being a DIK.

Storywise the game remindes me of a very good,I mean top notch boner comedy from the late 90`s early 2000`s.It`s light and fun while in the same time managing to keep some depth.

The characters are great everyone has a distinct personalituy and a purpose to the story - great writting.

Visuals and sounds - top notch,beautifull models,fantastic posing,music always fits the scenes,couldn`t be any better

Gameplay - really good balance of VN and free roaming - that`s how you do free roaming without painfull,annoying,time wasting grind.

Overall the game is excellent,not only does it deserve a download,it deserves every single penny it gets.Both updates are filled with content,this dev really shows respect to his patreons,if you can,support him.

Subjective concern for the future(does not affect my rating of the game) - the game sets up a harem route,however harem might turn out to lead to serious negative consequences - I will have to wait and see.

Best wishes and thank you for this amazing game
  18. 5.00 star(s)

#NomeD

I have to say I am very impressed with this game it has the best written lines I have seen in a game so far, it is funny and sad in some parts of the game, The renders in this game is nothing short on being awesome and the animation and music are put into the game with such expertise as to not overload the game making it an enjoyable playtime, the story is deep and meaningful and you get to get some kind of feeling towards the characters.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

z3212

All I can do is applaud you DrPinkCake. You've out done yourself! This game is a master piece and i'm not exaggerating because everything about it is screaming 'A PROFESSIONAL AT WORK '. I won't go into much details because i don't see the need to do that anymore since for me BAD is perfection and I don't have one negative thing to point out or even mention.

I'v played my fair share of VN and nothing is even remotely close to it in terms of story telling, models, music, renders atmosphere/environment setting(parties settings are fucking awesome) and development. I can't even compare it to your last project AL (which i was a huge fan of and was convinced that it couldn't get any better).

I mean seeing how smooth it runs on the Unity Engine is ridiculously mind blowing!!! I actually tried to find a noticeable flaw while playing it and I honestly couldn't!

I'm gonna take a bit to also mention how good the music and soundtracks are and the fact that they set the right mood in every damn scene/ dialogue and moment (even in mini games!!!). And i'm not gonna forget to mention how easy and smooth it is to shuffle thru the playlist.

As for the models and MC, the designing is originally outstanding! They are so good to the point where every time the MC meets a new female character I go like "GOD DAMN! This is definitely the character i'm gonna focus on", and few minutes later another new character appears and gets me all hyped up again. Face features, skin tones, body shapes and over all appearances are awesome! Male and female models!!

And the story is definitely not just "another horny teenager starting college". There is much much, much more to it and with no doubt will hit the player deep when the story progresses. There are already few very emotional scenes and tough decisions to make . Specially knowing that every character has a unique story.

I guess this should be enough reviewing as I honestly wasn't planning to say all of this. But once I started, I couldn't stop sharing thought after thought about this epic game.

I'm really glad that i'm one of your patrons @DrPinkCake and that somehow in a way makes me feel that i'm part of this master piece. This makes me very happy!

PS: Take it easy on us with the emotional stuff will you :D
  20. 5.00 star(s)

m4x0r

At first glance it looks a like click bait style of game.
    Then I took a look at the creator and downloaded right away.
    Game is great and certainly in top 10 of the archive of this site already.

UX design 9/10
    Writing 9/10
    Pacing 9/10
    Renders 8/10
    Mini-games are worth it
    already did play twice thanks to the interesting balance of DIK vs CHICK