• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Unity Bare Backstreets [v0.7.3] [Jasonafex]

1.70 star(s) 40 Votes

qrcode

Jun 3, 2018
This game runs smoothly at least for RX560 and above. So, anyone who complain about the lags... I doubt that programmer would even notice this type of issue.

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
This game runs smoothly at least for RX560 and above. So, anyone who complain about the lags... I doubt that programmer would even notice this type of issue.
The game is CPU-bound, not GPU-bound. One of the game's many programmers implemented a bytecode obfuscation library very poorly, which causes the game to perform thousands of unnecessary deobfuscation function calls per frame. Because of this, the game would only perform somewhat decently on a CPU with fast cores.

It's possible that this could have been rolled back or corrected by one of the later programmers (apparently the "lead developer" role is basically a revolving door, likely because of how much of an absolute dumpster fire Jasonafex is). I haven't checked.

Reactions: dragonsix6969

qrcode

Jun 3, 2018
The game is CPU-bound, not GPU-bound. One of the game's many programmers implemented a bytecode obfuscation library very poorly, which causes the game to perform thousands of unnecessary deobfuscation function calls per frame. Because of this, the game would only perform somewhat decently on a CPU with fast cores.

It's possible that this could have been rolled back or corrected by one of the later programmers (apparently the "lead developer" role is basically a revolving door, likely because of how much of an absolute dumpster fire Jasonafex is). I haven't checked.
Than that's mean it should use SSD to run! Right?

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
Than that's mean it should use SSD to run! Right?
An SSD would improve load times, but it shouldn't make much of a difference after the level is loaded, since the issue is with the game's code (which is already completely in memory while the game is running).

In this case it would come down to the processor. An old budget CPU like an Intel Celeron would probably struggle (even though it really shouldn't on a game like this) but something like a mid-range i5 or Ryzen 7 would be fine.

qrcode

Jun 3, 2018
An SSD would improve load times, but it shouldn't make much of a difference after the level is loaded, since the issue is with the game's code (which is already completely in memory while the game is running).

In this case it would come down to the processor. An old budget CPU like an Intel Celeron would probably struggle (even though it really shouldn't on a game like this) but something like a mid-range i5 or Ryzen 7 would be fine.
How did you know all this stuff? This seems require quite amount of knowledge! (y)

Last edited:

Sarkath

Sep 8, 2019
How did you know all this stuff? This seems require quite amount of knowledge! (y)
I've been kind of a nerd for my whole life. :)

As for this specific case, I ended up disassembling the game to see what the code was doing, saw a bunch of things that would cause it to run poorly on some PCs, then ran a few simulations to verify my results.

• Hey there
Reactions: TheRapist_00

Jyoumon

Oct 8, 2019
I've been kind of a nerd for my whole life. :)

As for this specific case, I ended up disassembling the game to see what the code was doing, saw a bunch of things that would cause it to run poorly on some PCs, then ran a few simulations to verify my results.
Be funny as hell if someone actually fixed the damn thing and sent it back with just the response "Do it Right next time" XD

Loillp

Dec 15, 2023
Alright, I have to admit, everyone has a good credit of insight to Jasonafex.
But I do Have to mention that I'm currently in a side project within their base.

For all who do not know of the game M.U.G.E.N,
It's a 2D Platformer Fighting Game that is a whole base game for others to create and link their characters, stages, and coding in it's region.

And just days ago, they released a trailer on their channel that they officially declare a M.U.G.E.N Project that they approved, and that They have two character files, straight from BBS itself,
Vergence and Genesis.

I'm not one that dislike such moddings as these, because I'm a MUGEN Player.

There are only 140 State Number Sprite Animations included in the files. And not only that, both of the character use Kung Fu Man (kfm) as the basic template.

• Angry
Reactions: Ryproar
1.70 star(s) 40 Votes