makeitso

Jul 29, 2018
Definitely try another mirror.

Probably another false positive, but how the site addresses the issue doesn't sit well with me. If they trust their scanner, why not eliminate the risky file? Sounds like they either don't trust the scanner or are fine sharing potentially infected files.

As always, you can also put the files through yourself to make sure.

Reactions: NeoGenesis

XMHK

Dec 9, 2020
Definitely try another mirror.

Probably another false positive, but how the site addresses the issue doesn't sit well with me. If they trust their scanner, why not eliminate the risky file? Sounds like they either don't trust the scanner or are fine sharing potentially infected files.

As always, you can also put the files through yourself to make sure.
Deleting files as a hosting service would pose a lot more problems than warning the user.
Some programs get flagged as potentially unwanted, CheatEngine for example when changing memory in existing processes, so banning every account of a scanner saying it's a virus would be a big issue. It's good that they use a scanner and warn you though.

Still, would use a different mirror in this case.

makeitso

Jul 29, 2018
Deleting files as a hosting service would pose a lot more problems than warning the user.
Some programs get flagged as potentially unwanted, CheatEngine for example when changing memory in existing processes, so banning every account of a scanner saying it's a virus would be a big issue. It's good that they use a scanner and warn you though.

Still, would use a different mirror in this case.
Yeah, you need to do it in a responsible and reliable manner. Not haphazardly. This appears haphazard.

melacolin

Jun 24, 2021
In case anyone is still wondering about the scary virus warning on anonfiles, poked at the game in a sandbox and it didn't do anything interesting besides some telemetry chatter. It's most likely just a false positive. Workupload and Anonfile archives match hashes.

May 26, 2018
In case anyone is still wondering about the scary virus warning on anonfiles, poked at the game in a sandbox and it didn't do anything interesting besides some telemetry chatter. It's most likely just a false positive. Workupload and Anonfile archives match hashes.
It is also worth noting, that anonfile has a habit of trying to make you download files that are in fact not the file you want to download. I don't know why, but a few times when I clicked the download button, it downloaded a filename.zip.exe or filename.zip.vhd. the sizes of which did not match the actual game. so do be wary of sketchy downloads from anonfiles.

Reactions: iamnuff

anubis1970

Engaged Member
Mar 1, 2018
It is also worth noting, that anonfile has a habit of trying to make you download files that are in fact not the file you want to download. I don't know why, but a few times when I clicked the download button, it downloaded a filename.zip.exe or filename.zip.vhd. the sizes of which did not match the actual game. so do be wary of sketchy downloads from anonfiles.
That's why I only ever download from anonfiles as a last resort because all other links are dead.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
That's why I only ever download from anonfiles as a last resort because all other links are dead.
You can get around it with ublock origin or something, but I avoid them cuz their download speed is slow as fuck.

May 26, 2018
The thing is, They didn't start doing that until about four months ago... Not sure what happened, but at this point they should probably be removed from the approved hosts list.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
The thing is, They didn't start doing that until about four months ago... Not sure what happened, but at this point they should probably be removed from the approved hosts list.
Nah, they've been doing that for much longer. It was a toss of the dice whether you got the right download the first try or whether they tried to give you a sus file with the same name.

May 26, 2018
Nah, they've been doing that for much longer. It was a toss of the dice whether you got the right download the first try or whether they tried to give you a sus file with the same name.
huh... Strange, I never had issues with the sus files until about four months ago. I used the site pretty regularly too.

Aug 25, 2017
huh... Strange, I never had issues with the sus files until about four months ago. I used the site pretty regularly too.
I was always suspicious of AnonFiles since I first started to notice it used as a host site here. The thing that always worried me, although this might be my own ignorance, is that the files they try give you are several megabytes larger than the version you can find on other sites. This makes me think they've added something insidious to the file which, best case scenario, is just sending your data to somebody who ends up having no real use for it. This isn't the only approved host site I suspect of doing this either, but I haven't complained because I figure it might just be something I don't understand about file compression. I'm not a software or computer security expert, just a PC gamer.

4.40 star(s) 40 Votes