• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[ASK] install games on hdd external and play it on different devices ?

minasetaki

May 1, 2019
so so as time flies, my storage capacity has reach it's limit, i don't wanna upgrade my internal harddisk anymore, instead i plan to buy hdd external, so i can play my games on different devices (i have laptop and pc).
for example the game RenPy, I know the location of the saves folder is in the game folder, but before i buy hdd external, i wanna ask, can we play from hdd external, but on different devices. i mean i saves my games on pc and tommorow i plug my hdd external on laptop and continue it

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
Most Renpy games have the saves default to the C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy directory.
You can put your games on an external drive but the saves will still be on your PC. Either:

a. Make a backup/copy of the save directories after playing a game to your external drive and laptop

b. Edit each game and have the saves stay in the game directory.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Most Renpy games have the saves default to the C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy directory.
You can put your games on an external drive but the saves will still be on your PC.
Wrong !

All Ren'py games save both on a dedicated directory related to the user (the one you gave for Windows) and on the game directory, into the "game/saves" directory. The save file that will be used will be the most recent one, whatever if it's located on the user directory or the game directory.

Therefore there's no reason for his desire to put the game on an external drive, then play on different device, to be a problem. His saves will follow him and always be up to date.