Ren'Py - Abandoned - Ashford Academy [2018-06-26] [Ashford]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Marvelous Chris

I really like the setting of this game but the gameplay falls a bit short and very quickly escalates into dull and tedious hold ctrl to skip through the day.

The management aspect is serviceable except for one aspect which brings the game down for me that i also hinted at earlier. You start each day planning where to spend your time during three different time periods which all have their own locations so you cannot spend one whole day hiding in your office. Each location have their own set of different events that can take place which vary depending on how depraved, academic etc your school is and i found it quite intriguing.

Now to the downside of this is that since it is random and in most events you have no control. It can escalate into you getting multiple bad events that makes it so a good amount of effort quickly get canceled. This encourages you to save each day before starting your day after deciding where to go so you can quickly load and get a chance to get a good event instead of a bad one.

Other than that the management is not very complex but it is slow and requires trial and error. At the start of each month you get a budget which is based on how many students you have and possibly how well they do not sure. Money you spend on upgrading and building new uh... buildings. Your school stats can be used to buy other school upgrades that can for example unlock new policies or give 10% income boost.

There is a bit of a main storyline which start developing somewhere around day 7. Alongside this one there are a few character which seem to have their own side storylines you can pursue but i have never finished any of them. I believe this is because they seem to have requirements to continue both min and max. So if you get a stat too high or the one you want to lower too low, you cannot continue. Combine this with them taking place at a certain location which you find by getting it but you must also get lucky to have the event happen. Some credit however is that certain points seem to take place in between but those are few.

All in all it kept my interest for a few hours and because i was interested to see as many events as i could i consider this game average over poor. it also left me frustrated for i will most likely never finish any of the storyline which as an ending note may also be because of the reason this game has the abandoned tag and not completed tag.

Oh and the older modded version has alot more events and content especially once you managed to make your school fully depraved.