Any suggestions on getting started?

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
Hey, a question primarily about Daz3D Memberships & getting started with a game.

Asking anybody who is making/has made an adult game could offer me some advice. After playing quite a few (DmD, DoD, BB, My Legacy etc) I've decided to try my hand at one.

I'm going to be making the game in RenPy, would it be recommended to make the story first with no people and then add them in later, or fully create scenes page by page?

I've mapped out the main story and the characters (won't bore anybody with it rn), aiming to have one MC, 3 household NPCs & 3 work-related NPCs primarily so 7 characters. Are there any Daz3D Memberships that anybody would recommend for this kind of scale, or just buy the parts individually?

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
I'd say that depends on your work flow. I dont' use Daz or Ren'py, but I'm sure the same ideas can still be apply in this manner. You can either, create the story and scenes as you move along, create your story and then do the scenes, or if you're creative just let the scenes tell the story.

Sondorproject

Feb 11, 2018
Personally I do it the second way, fully creating scenes page my page.. Like Egglock says though it definitely depends on what works for you. Do what is best for yourself!

DPMaker

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
I think you should just have placeholders for all your scenes and just work on the code. You don't want to spend money on DAZ models and give up half way. You can finish making the game without pictures and If you really like it, then you can start adding pictures.

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
I just know something...
When i make renders, i need to wait to get one depending on how many char and light and stuff i have on my scene.
And when i wait i like to work on something else too, like code, writing, other scene (poses etc...). Like that i don't wait for renders i just work and do renders on the same time.
So i don't like the idea of making the code first and renders after.
But i don't make a VN, its something else and for me coding for VN its realy easy so maybe if i was doing a VN i was going for the full code first... i don't know.

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
Okay, I think I'll do the first 4 or 5 days in RenPy just to work through all the dialogue and choices before I start rendering people in.

I've found some pretty suitable models for the characters I feel would work well, is there anything against just using default props and people if you don't have too much of an art skill?

Reactions: DPMaker

DPMaker

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
Okay, I think I'll do the first 4 or 5 days in RenPy just to work through all the dialogue and choices before I start rendering people in.

I've found some pretty suitable models for the characters I feel would work well, is there anything against just using default props and people if you don't have too much of an art skill?
Nothing wrong with prototypes. I focus on creating a fun game before I worry about art.