AI Any good way of animating still images?

Liana_

Jul 3, 2018
I've been experimenting with AI and have been creating some really good artwork as of late. However if I was able to animate them, that would really take things to an another level. Currently what would be the best way to animate them? I've been checking out the AI methods but its mostly inconsistent. What about spine2d or blender? Would that make things more complicated? Do I have to wait a bit longer till a good AI solution comes along? Would like to hear your take on it.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
The issue with Spine2D and Blender is that while they will work, animating takes both time, and a workflow. A workflow only works when you start dedicating time to the tool, such as if you like to make animations now and then, and only works if you have a 'specific' animation in mind. But if you are experimenting with AI art, while you do have a workflow, it contests of tests and experiments with short iteration times. AI is still a valid workflow, since it takes time to get the various tools to work the way you want (I have yet to really get deep into AI art or crafting my own models). Unless you are working on a specific project, a project with animation goals, switching from an AI work flow to a tool based workflow may not work for you. If you are still exploring and experimenting without a specific project in mind, using normal tools (such as spine2D) takes more time to get results, which you won't know the quality of until the end, and even after you make your first animation, it still takes time, not just reworking the animation, but often completely redoing your work (ie redoing the rig after you have a better understanding of what is needed for a good rig to work). This is much worse with blender since spine2D is a dedicated tools with automated features, while blender you really have to understand how Spine2D works at at technical level and replace what it does manually in blender. If you know you really want to be able to make animations in the future, go ahead and start experimenting, I suggest Spine2D since as I said, you already have to know how programs like Spine2D and Live2D work at a technical level in order to replace it with blender. I like to describe programs like Daz and Spine2D as power tools, good for specific jobs, and Blender as a box of hand tools, it can do everything, but you have to do a lot of it manually. one thing that helps with AI, is that you often need to cut up images into layes to do complex animations, and if your ai can autofill areas (ie an arm with or without a sleeve), then you can do more complex things as you get more skilled with the animation process.

Reactions: Liana_