Announcing my new game!

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Greetings. Some here are already familiar with some of the characters from my upcoming game, "Nymph Island". It's actively in development and I hope to have a playable demo available soon. I've set up a patreon @ to provide updates on the games progress and begin building a community for feedback and support on the project.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Looks interesting, followed.

Initial thought on the renders are the sister and mother look more like siblings than mother and daughter.

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
Good work, looks good! I'd look at the video now but I'm rendering and that aint gonna work, well at least.

Reactions: Haexoi

Qleaf

Workaholic
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Oct 14, 2016
Hi there! Loving the renders!

If I may, few comments:
1. I liked the way you presented the warning screen with the flight attendant but some of the words arent clearly visible as the others when they are on top of her body.
2. Start menu buttons , not really my taste of the whole diamonds and color of the shapes. They are hard to read and to look at.
3. Choices , Names and Text boxes: as per point number 1 and 2 same applies. Text will merge with the background and be hard to look at. You could have a solid background for the all the above and add in an option to clear the UI so people will enjoy the whole clear CG.

That's based on the video I saw, you can totally ignore my comment but I just had to say it out there. Best of luck with your game! :)

Reactions: Krull and Haexoi

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
A default option in Ren'py is to hit 'h' to hide the ui and enjoy the scenery. I've made sure the text will be legible against the background. As well, the text box is highly transparent so as to not interfere too much with the backgrounds itself. I know it looks a bit amateurish, and that's because it is! I've never done anything like this before. The UI may see an overhaul at some point, especially if player feedback is negative upon the first release. I might even give the player the option to choose between different styles and themes. It would be fairly easy to program, would just involve more time making different interfaces. Since I want android releases, I'm going to have to learn how to customize the interface on the fly anyway.

Qleaf

Workaholic
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Oct 14, 2016
A default option in Ren'py is to hit 'h' to hide the ui and enjoy the scenery. I've made sure the text will be legible against the background. As well, the text box is highly transparent so as to not interfere too much with the backgrounds itself. I know it looks a bit amateurish, and that's because it is! I've never done anything like this before. The UI may see an overhaul at some point, especially if player feedback is negative upon the first release. I might even give the player the option to choose between different styles and themes. It would be fairly easy to program, would just involve more time making different interfaces. Since I want android releases, I'm going to have to learn how to customize the interface on the fly anyway.
Dont take as anegative, as it is a discouraging term and it makes me feel bad for saything anything.

As for giving the player choices of different style/themes it sounds as a good idea, but this will involve more load on your work. I'm thinking it might require maintenance if you decided to change the layout of the UI, as you will be forced to change all the other sets to match. It's better to stick to one, and make it from your own style.

You cant satisfy everyone with a specific style but if you can impress the majority then that's a winner.

PS: Your voice sounds like one those voice-over actors :) nice, collective and clear voice.

PS on the PS: just to clear the air, totally not hitting on you :p

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Dont take as anegative, as it is a discouraging term and it makes me feel bad for saything anything.

As for giving the player choices of different style/themes it sounds as a good idea, but this will involve more load on your work. I'm thinking it might require maintenance if you decided to change the layout of the UI, as you will be forced to change all the other sets to match. It's better to stick to one, and make it from your own style.
Which is ultimately what I'm trying to do. I will admit that the ui is far from perfect, but at the same time, it's something I could spend needlessly long on with no real gain other than some in the audience might prefer one style over another. The UI, in my opinion, should enhance rather than get in the way of the user's experience. While I have something sort of "pretty" and "thematic"(inspired, frankly, by old school rpg games like secret of mana, in which I remember playing a lot with it's ui customization), it to me comes off as a bit garish. It's not exactly "ugly", but it lacks the professional polish I would like to ultimately achieve. I need to find the right balance between practical and aesthetic. I don't think I quite nailed it. So I am not at all offended by your feedback. It's highly appreciated. This might be my first rodeo, but I came ready to impress!

You cant satisfy everyone with a specific style but if you can impress the majority then that's a winner.
I'm well aware that some design features will appeal to some but not all of my audience. Everything from character designs to plot choices. I do take seriously though any and all feedback on what I'm doing. Maybe the potential for two themes. One "minimalist" and another more "colorful". The further away I can stay from stock anything, the better I personally feel about what I'm producing. If my designs are "shit" compare to what ren'py itself offers, then I need to go back to the drawing board. But again, I can't waste too much time on the ui/theme when there is a game just DYING to be made already. I have a bit of OCD and a strong attention to detail. Classic "perfectionist". So I'm sure everything you see will be evolved/refined in time.

PS: Your voice sounds like one those voice-over actors :) nice, collective and clear voice.
I spent two years broadcasting on twitch(so many people are bugging me to stream again... but I've been busy working on this game!) and many more doing tech support over the phone. I was born with a good voice and I've learned to use it well over the years. While I probably won't be doing in game voice overs(at least not personally), I do plan on putting out more progress videos, in which you'll hear even more of my awesome voice! ;)

PS on the PS: just to clear the air, totally not hitting on you :p
I don't swing that way myself, but it's totally okay if you are. I'm used to it.

• Haha
Reactions: Reality Mode

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
I can't wait to breathe "life" into these characters. I've even looked into ways to incorporate something like an AI chat bot into the mix of things. While that's possible, it's apparently impractical for "game purposes". But it gives me a vision at least. Something to develop further down the road maybe. I am trying to keep the game simple enough that it's within my scope as a new comer to the game making biz. I'd rather provide a simple, yet polished, product, than something that overreached and get's dropped or fall far short of it's intended mark. That being said though, I've spent a lot of time playing and analyzing different ren'py games and have found there is much that can be done with it's engine. I've been able to decompile these games and examine how they work. I know that just about any approach I wish to take to this is within my reach and ability. But different approaches come with different pros and cons. For example, I could take the very basic, "dating my daughter" approach, where you have a game that is essentially on rails, with some choice based elements here and there. Relatively easy to program, but to do well, involves a lot of decent dialogue and writing. Alternatively, I could follow more of the "daily grind approach". Those games drag out gameplay with grindy mechanics. It leads to many repeated scenes/scenarios and dialogues, which in my opinion tends to more break than add to the immersion. If I could somehow intelligently randomize the things these characters say and do, I think I'd be on the path to something fairly awesome and I don't think it would be *that* difficult to program. Would involve a lot of writing, but as evidenced by these very posts, I'm quite capable of writing a lot! ;)

Ultimately leaning towards a "tell tale games/life is strange" approach to gameplay. Something of a mix between a visual novel and a point and click adventure.

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Hey folks. Still active with things. Just have kept my updates more to my patreon than here. First release of the game is expected out within a couple of weeks. Things have come a long way from when I first began posting here. Namely I have remastered all of my characters and upgraded to iRay renders.